Parenting & Family

How much are you spending on summer camp?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2013 4:19 pm
Tags:
Oct 4, 2010
75 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto

How much are you spending on summer camp?

Both me and husband works full time so priority for summer is to make sure kids are signed up for summer camp. Kids are 3 and 6.
I signed up a few difference camp. Between the town, their school and one of these more expensive private camp. It is going to cost $5000 for the summer. And we only did the expensive camp ($500per week) for one of the kids for two weeks... Most other weeks are at school or with the town... Just seems alot of money in total.. Wondering how much are you spending ...?
8 replies
Banned
Nov 2, 2012
2778 posts
473 upvotes
Hamilton
Is this for two months?

If you must use some kind of child care, you may be better off hiring a college or university student. Even at $11/hr you should be way better off. That way, if the kids are sick, you'll still be covered. Also, new summer camps each week (new places, new people) can be quite stressful for young kids.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
$5000 for two kids sounds like a lot. We finished booking a couple of weeks ago and it came to just over a thousand bucks. Seven weeks of camp, operated by the town - swim camp, outdoors "conservation camp", and tennis camp.
Oct 4, 2010
75 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Even with the town of Richmond hill range from 150 to 290 a week. My younger one I kept him mostly with school so that $330 a week to limit the change of environment, but the older one needs to be engage.. Last year she was so bored at the school camp.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1435 posts
127 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
We're spending $5k but we're only sending them to camp for 6 weeks as we're going on a vacation for the last two weeks of August. The breakdown is $1.25k per month per kid for Chinese camp. It's another $1.25k for 2 weeks per kid at BVG, but that's a more expensive camp because the activities are extensive and we signed-up for bus service. We're in Toronto so our costs will be higher than yours in RH.
Jun 18, 2009
437 posts
6 upvotes
Summer2003 wrote: Both me and husband works full time so priority for summer is to make sure kids are signed up for summer camp. Kids are 3 and 6.
I signed up a few difference camp. Between the town, their school and one of these more expensive private camp. It is going to cost $5000 for the summer. And we only did the expensive camp ($500per week) for one of the kids for two weeks... Most other weeks are at school or with the town... Just seems alot of money in total.. Wondering how much are you spending ...?
Can I ask you which camp is the expensive one ($500 per week)?
Jan 10, 2013
8 posts
creamsoda wrote: Can I ask you which camp is the expensive one ($500 per week)?
http://www.adventurevalleydaycamp.com/ They are charging about $500/per week.

We are planning to sign with this summer camp for my 3 year old son. And this is would be my son's first time in a program without us. I reaally want to find a happy and warm place for my son.

Does anyone familiar with this summer camp? Any comment would be appreciate.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. We dont want to use any babysitter or nanny for this summer..even they may cheaper.. We have been interfering with them since my son 9 month old, none of them were good from our experiences.
Jan 10, 2013
8 posts
creamsoda wrote: Can I ask you which camp is the expensive one ($500 per week)?
http://www.adventurevalleydaycamp.com/ They are charging about $500/per week.

We are planning to sign with this summer camp for my 3 year old son. And this is would be my son's first time in a program without us. I reaally want to find a happy and warm place for my son.

Does anyone familiar with this summer camp? Any comment would be appreciate.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. We dont want to use any babysitter or nanny for this summer..even they may cheaper.. We have been interfering with them since my son 9 month old, none of them were good from our experiences.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
361 upvotes
Why do you need to sign up your 3 years old one for camp? shouldn't he be in the daycare?