• Aug 13th, 2017 6:06 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1607 posts
316 upvotes
Windsor
$100/mo for the winter; 1 person, working from home, 2 PCs running pretty continuously (~125w average monthly), ~1,300sq.ft, electric oven, gas everything else.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1381 posts
369 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Question:

If I had my bill with BC Hydro getting paid via pre-authorized payment directly from my bank account and now I register my bill with epost, does the pre-authorized payment get cancelled?

The reason I ask is because BC Hydro charges a fee if paying by credit card directly but if I link it through epost, I can pay using a credit card and I don't believe I would be charged the fee.
May 3, 2005
968 posts
59 upvotes
Woodbridge
I don't know what's going on in my house but my Powerstream bill for Jan/Feb was $622 and it says I used 2952kwh (plus water). According to the comparison in my neighbourhood, 90% of the residents used less than me.

I've swapped out all of the bulbs to LEDs, turned off the fan on the furnace to only kick in when it's needed, have timers on the power bars, put additional insulation into the attic and still I appear to be using a lot. I do have a desktop on 24/7 along with a NAS but I don't think this is enough to push me over so much. FYI, most of my night time usage (midnight till 6am) is 1kwh or less. Used to be closer to 2kwh when I had the fan on the furnace running all the time.

What are the chances that my meter is wrong or is there a way to help determine what is using up so much electricity? Is it possible to "leak" electricity?

Lobo
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7087 posts
782 upvotes
Montreal, QC
If you're not afraid of opening up your breaker panel, get a clamp on ammeter to check the load and switch each breaker off one by one to see which circuit is using that much electricity.
No hot water leaking anywhere?
Oct 31, 2008
378 posts
84 upvotes
lobo wrote:
Mar 11th, 2016 11:18 am
I don't know what's going on in my house but my Powerstream bill for Jan/Feb was $622 and it says I used 2952kwh (plus water). According to the comparison in my neighbourhood, 90% of the residents used less than me.

I've swapped out all of the bulbs to LEDs, turned off the fan on the furnace to only kick in when it's needed, have timers on the power bars, put additional insulation into the attic and still I appear to be using a lot. I do have a desktop on 24/7 along with a NAS but I don't think this is enough to push me over so much. FYI, most of my night time usage (midnight till 6am) is 1kwh or less. Used to be closer to 2kwh when I had the fan on the furnace running all the time.

What are the chances that my meter is wrong or is there a way to help determine what is using up so much electricity? Is it possible to "leak" electricity?

Lobo
I just got my powerstream bill too . Jan/Feb is 496$ . My previous bill was much lower( 244$) . The water charge is almost triple lol
Banned
Jan 10, 2016
165 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I average 7kwh a day...so around 50ish a mth...gas water tank and gas heat.. Electric everything else...2500 sqft house with 2 ppl
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1549 posts
397 upvotes
Mississauga
RoiTerre wrote:
Mar 18th, 2016 7:15 am
I average 7kwh a day...so around 50ish a mth...gas water tank... Electric everything else...2500 sqft house with 2 ppl
7kwh with electric heat ? I'm impressed
Banned
Jan 10, 2016
165 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bubuski wrote:
Mar 18th, 2016 7:43 am
7kwh with electric heat ? I'm impressed
Sorry...gas heat.. Forgot there's people using baseboards
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
4617 posts
1170 upvotes
Cornhole, ON
lobo wrote:
Mar 11th, 2016 11:18 am

Lobo
Try these http://www.kidco.com/wp-content/uploads ... trical.jpg and see if it makes a difference.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4661 upvotes
RoiTerre wrote:
Mar 18th, 2016 7:15 am
I average 7kwh a day...so around 50ish a mth...gas water tank and gas heat.. Electric everything else...2500 sqft house with 2 ppl
Wow damn. My file server uses more than that.
Then again... when I was mining bitcoins I was using 50% more power in an hour than you were in a day.
Mar 23, 2016
455 posts
145 upvotes
There's no way to tell if you're being overcharged either
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
8083 posts
2225 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Last bill was just under 1400 kWh vs. Neighbours at 600 kwh lol
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24790 posts
2549 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Unless you're using baseboard heating or have your air conditioner constantly running, the size of the house has nothing to do with the amount of electricity you're using.

Not sure why people keep mentioning the size of their homes
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1607 posts
316 upvotes
Windsor
Gee wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 10:22 am
Unless you're using baseboard heating or have your air conditioner constantly running, the size of the house has nothing to do with the amount of electricity you're using.

Not sure why people keep mentioning the size of their homes
Probable because most people DO heat their homes in the winter, and cool them in the summer, so the size of their home does matter ... a lot.

My monthly electricity bills are about 1/10th of a friend of mine. We live very similarly, except his home is ~7,000sq.ft, and mine is a fraction of that. Without context of the fact his home is 6x larger than mine, that'd be a very odd discrepancy.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.