23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Last bill was just under 1400 kWh vs. Neighbours at 600 kwh lol
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Unless you're using baseboard heating or have your air conditioner constantly running, the size of the house has nothing to do with the amount of electricity you're using.

Not sure why people keep mentioning the size of their homes
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
Gee wrote: Unless you're using baseboard heating or have your air conditioner constantly running, the size of the house has nothing to do with the amount of electricity you're using.

Not sure why people keep mentioning the size of their homes
Probable because most people DO heat their homes in the winter, and cool them in the summer, so the size of their home does matter ... a lot.

My monthly electricity bills are about 1/10th of a friend of mine. We live very similarly, except his home is ~7,000sq.ft, and mine is a fraction of that. Without context of the fact his home is 6x larger than mine, that'd be a very odd discrepancy.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ChubChub wrote: Probable because most people DO heat their homes in the winter, and cool them in the summer, so the size of their home does matter ... a lot.
If you're using electric baseboard heaters, then electricity is a concern, but most people are using natural gas.

In the summer, air conditioning is subjective. Just because I turn mine on, you may decide it's cool enough.

The bulk of electric bills are for appliances. How often do you run your dryer. How often do you cook using the electric stove or bake. None of this has anything to do with the size of your house.
Last edited by Gee on Aug 13th, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
Gee wrote: If you're using electric baseboard heaters, then electricity is a concern, but most people are using natural gas.

In the summer, air conditioning is subjective. Just because I turn mine on, you may decide it's cool enough.

The bulk of electric bills are for appliances. How often do you run your dryer. How often do you cook n the electric stove or bake. None of this has anything to do with the size of your house.
I believe I am a pretty typical homeowner; I set my thermostat to the temperature I'd comfortably like my home, and let the furnace/AC do their thing. Maybe home size + temp (and location) would be a better representation, but size of home is definitely important, or at minimum, a factor.

In the winter, my electrical bills in the winter are APPROXIMATELY 25% computers (work from home), 35% fridge (my fridge sucks in every way a fridge can suck ... its next to be replaced), 10% cooking, 5% dehumidifier, and the remaining ~25% is random stuff, which logically is mostly my furnace fan ... whose draw is directly proportional to the size of my home. I don't have a LOT of hard data, since I only got my clamp-meter in Feb., and have admittedly been lazy with it, but close enough.

In the summer, it's like 65% AC, which again, is directly proportional to the size of my home.

Are you under the impression that a 10,000sq.ft home will have the same utility bills as a 600sq.ft home, assuming both have 4 people living in it? Home size is pretty obviously a factor; if not the most important one, definitely more important than simply randomly throwing out a hydro bill with no context.

You'd think your complaint would not be only about home size, but would be that people should include (as you just mentioned) factors that might also have a large impact. Just seems odd to point out home size as not mattering whatsoever, when it definitely does.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
A furnace fan will run approximately the same amount of time in a 1000 sqft as a 3000 sqft house when heating it during the winter time.
Jan 7, 2013
855 posts
526 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
pootza wrote: A furnace fan will run approximately the same amount of time in a 1000 sqft as a 3000 sqft house when heating it during the winter time.
But the fan is probably sized larger to match the higher BTU furnace that the larger home will require.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)