Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1584 posts
76 upvotes

How necessary is AWD where you live?

I was talking to a co-worker about AWD and he thinks that AWD isn't necessary in Southern Ontario if you have a good set of seasonal tires (Summers/All-Seasons for the 3 seasons and Winters for Winter). It makes sense as many cars/suvs are AWD capable but drive in 2WD/FWD unless AWD is required. My wife's CRV is like this and I don't think i'd be able to tell with the AWD kicks in.

So I was wondering; what part of Canada are you in or do you think AWD/4WD is necessary? I've been driving for over 20 years and up until recently got an AWD car but don't really think it made that much of a difference for me personally.
60 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17540 posts
2282 upvotes
Langley

Out of a hundred.
Jan 29, 2014
461 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto
I think having a proper set of winter tires is more important than having AWD. Few people realize that AWD is only useful when you're accelerating as it allows you to put more power to the ground in slippery situations. It does pretty much nothing in terms of physical grip or stopping distance. That being said, I have winter tires with a FWD and don't recall being stuck in the snow (requiring push/towing etc). Though I do wish I had AWD to put more power to the ground :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5796 posts
3747 upvotes
Richmond Hill
professormeth wrote:
Oct 15th, 2015 10:42 pm
I think having a proper set of winter tires is more important than having AWD. Few people realize that AWD is only useful when you're accelerating as it allows you to put more power to the ground in slippery situations. It does pretty much nothing in terms of physical grip or stopping distance. That being said, I have winter tires with a FWD and don't recall being stuck in the snow (requiring push/towing etc). Though I do wish I had AWD to put more power to the ground :lol:
How much time it takes to get home is dictated by the guy in front of you, who decided not to get winter tires =(
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1424 posts
336 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
If I did not have 4x4, there would have been one or two days in the last three years that I would not have been able to get to work.

The street I lived on last winter rarely gets plowed. The plow does the main street, and leaves a bank at the end of that road. That bank is tough to get past without good clearance and 4 wheels spinning.

Oh, and I'm in the Niagara Region.

Here's a pic of our worst snowfall last winter

[IMG]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm9/ ... fry106.jpg[/IMG]

That's a Pontiac Sunfire with snow up to the bumper. My truck has 32" tires.
Sep 15, 2011
873 posts
426 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
I've lived in Muskoka for the last dozen years and have a 45km commute one way. In the 12 years I've lived here there's been 3 days total that I haven't felt particularly safe driving to work (in my front wheel drive vehicles equipped with snows)
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14650 posts
1048 upvotes
Markham
not necessary at all... but i sure won't complain if i had it...
ShadowVlican
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8217 posts
891 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I live in Montreal and I still don't think AWD is "necessary". It does help in that it tends to make the car heavier (so digs in better in deeper snow), but the handling portion I don't think is a feature that I'd qualify as necessary (vs say winter tires).

SUVs or 4x4 type vehicles I think it's not about the AWD/4WD feature but about the ground clearance that would matter in winter.
Jan 29, 2014
461 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto
Reminds me of this video. No matter how advanced your AWD/4WD system is, it's ultimately the tires that give you grip.

Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
2156 posts
1814 upvotes
Calgary
Could I get by without AWD? Probably, if I had a decent set of winter shoes. But having driven 3 vehicles with AWD since 2001, I can't go back. Subaru AWD + winter tires = pretty much go everywhere.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2007
2536 posts
39 upvotes
Best comment of that video: You think he's pissed now? Wait till he gets to work and notices his iPhone fell out of his pocket into the snow. 1:29. 2:32 Runs over iPhone!

OP: I wouldn't say it's necessary. Winter tires are more important.
Luckyinfil wrote:
May 18th, 2010 5:23 pm
No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

UMM HOW i word this... ok u take 20 lbs no lifting for 30lb if guy, so divide 2 u dont sit, u get 10 but for guy it no 30, so 20 would be for guy if u werent a girl ?
Dec 20, 2009
978 posts
155 upvotes
ZipSpeed wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 12:37 am
Could I get by without AWD? Probably, if I had a decent set of winter shoes. But having driven 3 vehicles with AWD since 2001, I can't go back. Subaru AWD + winter tires = pretty much go everywhere.
Agreed. I don't need it, but boy is my wife's Legacy great for Edmonton winters. I'm considering the Impreza to replace my second vehicle even though the Mazda 3 would be a better car for other seasons.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1272 posts
258 upvotes
North Vancouver
AWD is good for performance driving, especially if it can transfer power to the outside wheels.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1148 posts
372 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Not crucial for pure city driving. Streets are mostly plowed and we get warm chinooks which turns the snow into slush and then later on, ice. Neither offering AWD any distinct advantages.

That said, work requires me to travel quite a bit and go on back roads with lots of snow so I do have a AWD/4x4ish system on my vehicle. Combined with A/T tires, it works pretty well.