How necessary is AWD where you live?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2015 9:21 am
Tags:
None
Jul 5, 2004
23891 posts
3432 upvotes
The road I live on doesn't always get plowed right away, and due to the trees, we get very deep snow on the road. My truck can get through, but the wifes car sometimes can't. She'll literally get stuck the second she leaves the driveway. She's had to take a few days off over the years because she couldn't get down our road. So yeah, AWD or a high clearance vehicle is necessary for us. It's all back country roads to get to work for both of us
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1584 posts
76 upvotes
Shaner; where do you live?

I travel a lot; mostly highway though. I criss-cross Southern Ontario; Northern Ontario and into Quebec; typically Montreal/Quebec City. I've used FWD with non-winters (just going slow) without a problem and FWD with winters and felt unstoppable. I've been using a car with AWD with winter tired for the last 2 winters and haven't really noticed a huge difference in winter driving; but on fresh snow with brand new winters (Blizzak WS-70) I felt I had no real grip. I would slide all over the place; not lose control but just slide. I blame that more on the tires than the car though.

I'm tempted to go back to a FWD car for the driving I do.
Jul 5, 2004
23891 posts
3432 upvotes
Starkicker wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 1:24 pm
Shaner; where do you live?

I travel a lot; mostly highway though. I criss-cross Southern Ontario; Northern Ontario and into Quebec; typically Montreal/Quebec City. I've used FWD with non-winters (just going slow) without a problem and FWD with winters and felt unstoppable. I've been using a car with AWD with winter tired for the last 2 winters and haven't really noticed a huge difference in winter driving; but on fresh snow with brand new winters (Blizzak WS-70) I felt I had no real grip. I would slide all over the place; not lose control but just slide. I blame that more on the tires than the car though.

I'm tempted to go back to a FWD car for the driving I do.
Not too far from Kingston. I'm out in the sticks
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
173 upvotes
aeba7 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2015 10:57 pm
How much time it takes to get home is dictated by the guy in front of you, who decided not to get winter tires =(
Not if you can't get out of the parking lot.

Here, though, AWD means I don't have to shovel snow away from the garage to get to work in the morning. That's a big win.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29611 posts
15454 upvotes
Ottawa
movieman wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 1:50 pm
Not if you can't get out of the parking lot.

Here, though, AWD means I don't have to shovel snow away from the garage to get to work in the morning. That's a big win.
Instead of clearing the snow off your driveway, you rather drive over the snow, pack it down and eventually turning into ice patches?
Pretty piss poor reason to drive an AWD...just to get out of the driveway.LOL
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2648 posts
1008 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 2:01 pm
Instead of clearing the snow off your driveway, you rather drive over the snow, pack it down and eventually turning into ice patches?
Pretty piss poor reason to drive an AWD...just to get out of the driveway.LOL
You could probably pay someone to shovel your driveway with the savings you've recouped by not driving an AWD vehicle. And you wouldn't ever need to shovel your driveway.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2648 posts
1008 upvotes
GTA
Gutty96 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 2:09 pm
What happens if you live up north, and drive down to Toronto with your studded tires? Can you be pulled over?
Of course, but I would imagine that after explaining to the officer that you live in an area that allows studded tires (and obviously having proof of that through your drivers license) it wouldn't be an issue.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7180 posts
1832 upvotes
Viperoni wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 2:12 pm
You could probably pay someone to shovel your driveway with the savings you've recouped by not driving an AWD vehicle. And you wouldn't ever need to shovel your driveway.
You can buy AWD / 4wd vehicles that are cheaper than some FWD or RFD ones.

Who said he paid a lot for his car?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
173 upvotes
Viperoni wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 2:12 pm
Not much help when 300 other people also want their driveway cleared by 7am, after a foot of snow falls.

As for packed snow and ice... studded tires are legal here.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41329 posts
5059 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Gutty96 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 2:16 pm

you could get a Subaru Impreza sedan for $19k brand new... It has a very capable AWD system... and theres even lift kits for the CAR on the market if you want 1 or 2 inches of extra ground clearance.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2648 posts
1008 upvotes
GTA
Gutty96 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 2:16 pm

I meant through the savings in gas mileage and maintenance, not the value of the car.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2648 posts
1008 upvotes
GTA
movieman wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 2:19 pm
Not much help when 300 other people also want their driveway cleared by 7am, after a foot of snow falls.

As for packed snow and ice... studded tires are legal here.
That's true. Do you still have trouble with studded tires?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7180 posts
1832 upvotes
Viperoni wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 2:29 pm
I meant through the savings in gas mileage and maintenance, not the value of the car.
Same concept applies, there very fuel efficient AWD vehicles out there and many gas guzzlers that are not. Again without know what the guy drives I don't understand your generalization.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2648 posts
1008 upvotes
GTA
Gutty96 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 2:34 pm
Same concept applies, there very fuel efficient AWD vehicles out there and many gas guzzlers that are not. Again without know what the guy drives I don't understand your generalization.
The generalization exists for a very good reason: If you compare the same car that is available as a FWD/RWD vs the AWD variant, the AWD variant will usually get worse gas mileage. Likewise, cars in the same class will usually get better mileage if they're FWD/RWD as compared to an AWD car.