• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2015 9:21 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
2973 posts
542 upvotes
AWD is nice but having good winter tires even more important. I had only once AWD car and on winter tires it was like tank but downside it was drinking 18L/100km in the city... ouch.....
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
5310 posts
479 upvotes
Vancouver
Starkicker wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 1:24 pm
Shaner; where do you live?

I travel a lot; mostly highway though. I criss-cross Southern Ontario; Northern Ontario and into Quebec; typically Montreal/Quebec City. I've used FWD with non-winters (just going slow) without a problem and FWD with winters and felt unstoppable. I've been using a car with AWD with winter tired for the last 2 winters and haven't really noticed a huge difference in winter driving; but on fresh snow with brand new winters (Blizzak WS-70) I felt I had no real grip. I would slide all over the place; not lose control but just slide. I blame that more on the tires than the car though.

I'm tempted to go back to a FWD car for the driving I do.
The blizzaks do better on ice and packed snow
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1584 posts
76 upvotes
popbottle wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 4:53 pm
The blizzaks do better on ice and packed snow
Ironically enough, I slid out on an icy road lol.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
5310 posts
479 upvotes
Vancouver
Starkicker wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 5:07 pm
Hard to say then, but thats what I read. Blizzaks are supposed to be the best you can buy and they grip so well, you shouldn't keep them on in the summer otherwise they will wear out faster than any other snow tire....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6853 posts
2954 upvotes
Kootenays
I live in the Rockies and have never felt the need for awd. Fwd with winters has always been fine for the 31 years I've been here. My current fwd Venza will push snow with the bumper with my winters on.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5366 posts
634 upvotes
Calgary
Starkicker wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 5:07 pm
winter tires are not invincible.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3583 posts
1615 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
popbottle wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 5:17 pm
Hard to say then, but thats what I read. Blizzaks are supposed to be the best you can buy and they grip so well, you shouldn't keep them on in the summer otherwise they will wear out faster than any other snow tire....
He said he was using WS-70

Sorry but the objective on road test review for the WS-70, are average at best, specially on ice.

I found 1 objective on road review for the WS-80 (Quebec version of consumer report), they look promising, score equal to Xice 3 and Hakka R2.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
5310 posts
479 upvotes
Vancouver
vonblock wrote:
Oct 17th, 2015 10:45 am
He said he was using WS-70

Sorry but the objective on road test review for the WS-70, are average at best, specially on ice.

I found 1 objective on road review for the WS-80 (Quebec version of consumer report), they look promising, score equal to Xice 3 and Hakka R2.
Yes . The WS80 looks like a great step from the Ws70
http://tires.about.com/od/TireReviews/f ... k-WS80.htm
Jul 21, 2014
598 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Starkicker wrote:
Oct 15th, 2015 10:33 pm
I was talking to a co-worker about AWD and he thinks that AWD isn't necessary in Southern Ontario if you have a good set of seasonal tires (Summers/All-Seasons for the 3 seasons and Winters for Winter). It makes sense as many cars/suvs are AWD capable but drive in 2WD/FWD unless AWD is required. My wife's CRV is like this and I don't think i'd be able to tell with the AWD kicks in.

So I was wondering; what part of Canada are you in or do you think AWD/4WD is necessary? I've been driving for over 20 years and up until recently got an AWD car but don't really think it made that much of a difference for me personally.
He is correct. I grew up on a farm north of Oshawa and we never had awd or 4wd. I remember only once did we encounter a time when the snow was too deep for the car.

If one lived in Sudbury or North Bay then yes, 4wd is a wise decision.
I bought a new Jeep last winter and went with the 4x2. With good tires the thing plowed through the snow with ease.
Feb 25, 2015
684 posts
535 upvotes
NB
AWD is not necessary, as long as you have proper tyres for the season. But it is so nice to have... not going back to FWD any time soon.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4247 posts
371 upvotes
Calgary
The general consensus seems to be that fwd with any winters are mostly adequate for daily winter travels. AWD and higher clearance from driving SUVS, minivans, and trucks, help when for the other times when it comes to deep snowfalls to keep the vehicle in control and in motion.

I've driven rwd on all seasons for a good decade worth of winter in Winnipeg. Driven my dad's GMC Safari awd on all seasons. Now we have the Crosstrek, a poor man's AWD, on winters and would never go back to FWD. It's not necessary, but travelling with a little one it adds peace of mind knowing chances of getting stuck is minimal is reassuring.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17416 posts
1611 upvotes
Woodbridge
CanuckGreg wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 8:12 am
[Good winter tires + driving skills + patience] > AWD.

Winter Tyres + Skills + AWD = Move bitch get out the way.

LOL

Seriously, wasn't an issue for the 15 years with FWD + Skills + Winter Tyres.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3583 posts
1615 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
I think we can all agree AWD is more practical in some special occasion, but necessary (this is op question), of course not.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5801 posts
3755 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bembol wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 5:53 pm

LOL

Seriously, wasn't an issue for the 15 years with FWD + Skills + Winter Tyres.
Beige corolla + all seasons + fear = naw, y'all ain't goin' nowhere
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5366 posts
634 upvotes
Calgary
bembol wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 5:53 pm

LOL
Too bad AWD doesn't help to stop quicker.