Personal Finance

How to obtain a free or inexpensive Credit Report?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2009 12:57 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario

How to obtain a free or inexpensive Credit Report?

Sorry, if there has been a recent thread on the subject, I didn't see it in the first few pages...

1. I noticed by mail, Equifax and TransUnion are free, which is preferable? Any other or better options?

2. This gets a "Credit Report" (free), do I need a "Credit Score" (not free)?

3. I would like to do this because I haven't done it in a few years, and my wife's wallet was stolen several months ago, all cards were cancelled/reported stolen but are there any other ways to see if identity theft has occurred?

Thanks
10 replies
Apr 6, 2007
407 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
zoolander wrote: 1. I noticed by mail, Equifax and TransUnion are free, which is preferable?
You don't really have to choose because you can just get both.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2002
3855 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga
You don't need the score if you just want to see if you want to check for ID theft.

Free - just call in and get the report, it's mailed to you in a week.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2009
1289 posts
255 upvotes
Montreal
And what if I want to know my score?
There are often banners on the web offering free scores. Are they legit? Or scam? :confused:
Feb 4, 2007
931 posts
7 upvotes
You can get Creditwise from some credit cards for a free 30-day free trial. They'll send your report plus your score. Just remember to cancel after you get your report or they will automatically charge you each and every month thereafter.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
I have heard that others have asked their personal bankers for these reports.

Dave
Oct 3, 2007
45 posts
As I understand, you need to get your reports from both agencies to get the complete picture. You can use the telephone automatic system, mail/fax your application forms, or apply online (with a fee). Don't think the report gives you your score though.
Nov 16, 2008
251 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
Trooper8111 wrote: You can get Creditwise from some credit cards for a free 30-day free trial. They'll send your report plus your score. Just remember to cancel after you get your report or they will automatically charge you each and every month thereafter.
Which credit card companies offer free 30 day trial for creditwise?
Feb 4, 2007
931 posts
7 upvotes
coolhead05 wrote: Which credit card companies offer free 30 day trial for creditwise?
The last time I was offered was through Best Buy, so I'm assuming that HSBC offers it. To my best recollection, Mastercard seems to offer it quite a bit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)