Automotive

How often to change PCV value? and whatz it for anyways?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2005 7:56 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Dec 31, 2004
2431 posts
2 upvotes
Regina, Saskatchewan

How often to change PCV value? and whatz it for anyways?

how often should I change PCV value? and whatz it for anyways? my car has 63000kms right now
FS: Compaq Turion 64 ML34 laptop for $350cad including shipping within Canada: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=562159

FS: SB800 flash, iPAQ PDA, AB400 Studio Light, Lightsphere 2, 5 in 1 light reflectors 42"
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... ost5299296
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=460399
35 replies
Banned
Mar 21, 2003
3085 posts
Here in Toronto
Thanks internet!

Definition: The Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve is an emissions control device that routes unburned crankcase blowby gases back into the intake manifold where they can be reburned. The PCV system is one of the oldest emission control devices, and also one of the most beneficial. Besides totally eliminating crankcase emissions as a source of air pollution, the constant recirculation of air through the crankcase helps remove moisture which otherwise would cause sludge to form. Thus the PCV valve extends the life of the oil and engine. The PCV valve requires little maintenance. The valve and filter should be replaced somewhere around 30,000 to 50,000 miles (see the vehicle owners manual for service intervals).
Aug 15, 2004
963 posts
45 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Change it when you see oil in air filter.
May 12, 2005
796 posts
Brampton
hahahahaha. i hope your joking
"officer i have a prescription for that"
heatware: madmaxx
Banned
Mar 21, 2003
3085 posts
Here in Toronto
Here's an easy way.. if you think it needs changing, just friggin change it.. it's a cheap part, it's REAL easy to access and takes no time at all.

Whether it needs it or not, just look up in your owner manual when it says to change the PCV valve and just do it!
Nov 27, 2001
552 posts
1 upvote
i've read that if you jiggle it around and hear some raddling...then it;s still good, else if you hear nothing...then you should change it.

i'm planning to install a home made oil catch can...anyone has one installed?
Aug 15, 2004
963 posts
45 upvotes
Richmond Hill
madmaxx wrote:hahahahaha. i hope your joking
No I am not.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1472 posts
120 upvotes
^^^
Care to explain?

If you're replacing the PCV, you might as well check the EGR valve while you're at it.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
2463 posts
86 upvotes
PCV not always easy to replace. Depends on the car. Nissan (at least 93-01) decided that the PCV should not be accessible to the average person, and placed it on an awkward angle behind the power steering pump.
May 12, 2005
796 posts
Brampton
focus- if youve got oil in your air filter youre gonna need a lot more than a pcv valve, btw are you looking for a new mechanic?. yeah some pcv's are a pain in the a** but a little time and patience will get it done. most pcv valves are under $30 and should be changed at every tune-up for maximum performance, and i dont meen speed. imo of course
Deal Addict
May 27, 2003
1344 posts
53 upvotes
madmaxx wrote:focus- if youve got oil in your air filter youre gonna need a lot more than a pcv valve, btw are you looking for a new mechanic?. yeah some pcv's are a pain in the a** but a little time and patience will get it done. most pcv valves are under $30 and should be changed at every tune-up for maximum performance, and i dont meen speed. imo of course
A stuck PCV valve can be the cause of oil in the air filter. Of course the whole idea is to replace the PCV valve before this happens.
May 12, 2005
796 posts
Brampton
slipperry pete- tell me how is the oil going to enter the pcv system?
Deal Addict
May 27, 2003
1344 posts
53 upvotes
madmaxx wrote:slipperry pete- tell me how is the oil going to enter the pcv system?
http://www.jiflube.com/myhtml/questions/question10.html
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english ... 101pv.html

Basically a clogged or stuck PCV valve will pressureize the crankcase forcing oil up into the breather and eventually into the air filter. It can also cause oil to be forced into the fuel system which is one cause of burning oil.
May 12, 2005
796 posts
Brampton
jiflube.com and yadayada.com blah blah blah. if it gets to this point where oil is entering the breather/air filter/air inlet i can GUARANTEE you will need a lot more than a simple pcv valve. a motor is 100% sealed. can i ask what is your profession?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3556 posts
67 upvotes
Oil in air filter is typically caused from blow by. A clogged PCV will stat to blow seals. mrs. jed's Quad 4, in the winter, would freeze up the PCV and start blowing the cam seals, sending oil everywhere.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
× < >