• May 25th, 2017 11:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10417 posts
1354 upvotes
City of Vancouver

How often do u visit the cemetery?

How often do u visit the cemetery? My mom never goes there to visit, whilst my friend's mom and family go periodically. They even buy flowers! Do u think it's depressing there? On the few times I've gone, it just seemed kinda pointless other than making sure there weren't too many weeds growing.
35 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13586 posts
1314 upvotes
Toronto
Like any cemetery or a cemetery where people you know are buried?

I end up going to or through the Summerhill cemetery at least once a week in the summer when I jog or bike the Key Gardiner Beltline Trail. I've never gone to visit anybody at one though, as we cremate instead of bury.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
2931 posts
382 upvotes
GTA
I go on certain days (birthdays, mothers/fathers day, anniversary of their passing, etc). I'll have times I'll go on a nice day for no reason other than to just be there because I miss that person.

and no, I'm not religious in any way.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2149 posts
759 upvotes
If I miss someone I tend to stay at home and think about them and the good times we had instead of roaming through a parking lot of decomposing corpses.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
2931 posts
382 upvotes
GTA
pootza wrote:
May 19th, 2017 5:54 pm
If I miss someone I tend to stay at home and think about them and the good times we had instead of roaming through a parking lot of decomposing corpses.
Oh, it's not that morbid. They're essentially large parks with people jogging in and out of them all the time. It's nice and quiet. Good place to just clear your mind sometimes.

but yes, there are decomposing corpses.
Dec 2, 2007
506 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
if my family member is buried there, I will visit the cemetery often as possible
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13230 posts
1149 upvotes
Nobody I know has died.

So usually only 3-4 times a month.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Jul 10, 2008
682 posts
113 upvotes
Once for my mom. Too depressing and I find the photos on some tombstones creepy, they should of used pictures when younger and without a sour look on their face.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10417 posts
1354 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Piro21 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 5:29 pm
Like any cemetery or a cemetery where people you know are buried?

I end up going to or through the Summerhill cemetery at least once a week in the summer when I jog or bike the Key Gardiner Beltline Trail. I've never gone to visit anybody at one though, as we cremate instead of bury.
Of course I am referring to a cemetery where u know ppl who r buried there. Otherwise, aren't u trespassing on private property?!? I think it's inappropriate to jog through a cemetery.

There are cemeteries where u can have a plot to bury ashes.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13586 posts
1314 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:56 pm
Of course I am referring to a cemetery where u know ppl who r buried there. Otherwise, aren't u trespassing on private property?!? I think it's inappropriate to jog through a cemetery.

There are cemeteries where u can have a plot to bury ashes.
I got the name wrong, it's Mount Pleasant cemetery, not Summerhill cemetery. It's actually a fairly popular spot for joggers and bikers, though we do tend to stay around the outside and away from actual funerals and stuff.

Being in Vancouver and thus unfamiliar with Toronto you may not know just how big this cemetery is, or how it's located right in the heart of one of the busier parts of the city. It's 2km long, 500m wide, and has a 4-lane arterial road running right through the middle of it. It's also an entrance to the Don Valley trail system and the end of one of the longest bike/running paths in the city.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1346 posts
160 upvotes
Markham
Dave98 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 6:04 pm
Oh, it's not that morbid. They're essentially large parks with people jogging in and out of them all the time. It's nice and quiet. Good place to just clear your mind sometimes.

but yes, there are decomposing corpses.
I agree, years ago I use to work for the Mississauga Parks and recreation and my assignment was cutting the grass and general maintenance of a number of grave yards in Streetsville. It was a nice quiet peaceful setting, and I loved it...and unlike public parks, the people that went there wouldn't abuse and litter and would respect the property. (Except and I'm not kidding, I would periodically would find condoms and their wrappers).
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16645 posts
1673 upvotes
GTA West
I've been to a cemetery once in my life... it was a WWII military memorial cemetery.

My family comes from another country, so any tombstones for older relatives won't be in Canada. Also, some relatives are Hindus, which means cremation.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
7499 posts
1372 upvotes
it is kinda pointless to go if it doesn't mean anything for you

it's kinda good to get close to death tho and your relationship with death and your life. You can leave the cemetery, those that are there can't. Maybe that can motivate some people
** Yes, I'm Italian! ** 😎
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel