Shopping Discussion

How often should I replace iphone to save the most money ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2016 5:19 am
Tags:
None
Mar 26, 2015
135 posts
14 upvotes
North York, ON

How often should I replace iphone to save the most money ?

Previously I would have gotten a new phone every couple of years by signing up for a contract. Unfortunately as we know the major phone companies have largely decoupled phones from their plans so that a contract doesn't give customers savings on the cost of phone anymore. I've had my iphone unlocked 4s 64GB for a few years now and I've had to replace the battery. I've replaced the cables/wall outlet adaptor a couple of times and the headphones more than a few times. I'm wondering at what point does it start to make sense to get a new iphone rather than to keep replacing things ? I'd love to hear if you have any thoughts or how you figure this out for yourself.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
3565 posts
1643 upvotes
Brampton
does apple products and saving money really go together? heh
anyhow, as for your question, I'd say keep ahead of the pack
once a new phone comes out, get it, sell old one as an iphone tend to hold value a lot longer than other phones
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
3214 posts
1263 upvotes
Ajax
semiconductingself wrote: Previously I would have gotten a new phone every couple of years by signing up for a contract. Unfortunately as we know the major phone companies have largely decoupled phones from their plans so that a contract doesn't give customers savings on the cost of phone anymore. I've had my iphone unlocked 4s 64GB for a few years now and I've had to replace the battery. I've replaced the cables/wall outlet adaptor a couple of times and the headphones more than a few times. I'm wondering at what point does it start to make sense to get a new iphone rather than to keep replacing things ? I'd love to hear if you have any thoughts or how you figure this out for yourself.
With upgrades from the major phone companies now being every 2 years, I'd say get a new phone every 2 years. This way you're paying a decent price for a new phone while still getting value from selling your old one.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2002
3047 posts
701 upvotes
I don't mind spending good money on product I use all the time everyday.
However, there's really no need to upgrade every 1 or 2 years.
If you're still using a 4S, good on you. It's probably time to upgrade

I've just moved from a iPhone 5 to a 6 (non-S) after 3 years.
Other than the bigger screen, no much has really changed. I could have went for the 6S but the battery life is exactly the same.
The processor is faster, but I don't play the latest 3D games. I don't use "live" photos. Never pay for features you don't use.
I also opted for the 16GB model and bought on Craigslist. I made sure the seller had ID and receipt and there was valid warranty.
The one I got was only a day old.

Some people replace their phones due to carelessness. They don't take care of their devices and damage them.
For godsakes, slap a case around the phone and a tempered glass screen.
First of all, it allows you to keep your phone longer and second it helps the resale value.
My iPhone 5 was still near perfect condition after 3 years. I managed to sell it for $200.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2013
1274 posts
410 upvotes
I would say that it depends on how you use your iPhone. I still use my iPhone 4, as I only use it to make about 1-2 telephone calls a day and maybe a GPS app about once a month. I have noticed that the iPhone 4 is slow. I was actually out looking at the iPhone 6s just yesterday and yes, it is a beautiful device, but my needs won't change just because I have it. So, to pay nearly $1000 to buy a new phone that does everything that my current iPhone does just doesn't make sense to me.

Remember this: you save money by not spending it and keeping it.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
I save money by taking care of and not constantly upgrading my phone.
I've had the iPhone 5 for quite some time, and have never had to replace anything
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2013
2078 posts
2139 upvotes
Buenos Aires/Monaco
I save money by using an old Motorola flip phone. I've had to change the battery 3-4 times over its life span but I've saved quite a bit of money overall.
Never trust someone who tells you that their favourite show is Corner Gas.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Magoomba wrote: I don't mind spending good money on product I use all the time everyday.
However, there's really no need to upgrade every 1 or 2 years.
If you're still using a 4S, good on you. It's probably time to upgrade

I've just moved from a iPhone 5 to a 6 (non-S) after 3 years.
Other than the bigger screen, no much has really changed. I could have went for the 6S but the battery life is exactly the same.
The processor is faster, but I don't play the latest 3D games. I don't use "live" photos. Never pay for features you don't use.
I also opted for the 16GB model and bought on Craigslist. I made sure the seller had ID and receipt and there was valid warranty.

Some people replace their phones due to carelessness. They don't take care of their devices and damage them.
For godsakes, slap a case around the phone and a tempered glass screen.
First of all, it allows you to keep your phone longer and second it helps the resale value.
My iPhone 5 was still near perfect condition after 3 years. I managed to sell it for $200.
Did 3 years really elapse from the i5 to i6s?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
why not upgrade and sell the new one, keep the old one, if saving money is your goal. otherwise, don't get a new phone, done.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1868 posts
174 upvotes
Southern ontario
Supercooled wrote: Did 3 years really elapse from the i5 to i6s?
Yes.
5, 5s, 6, 6s. I had the 5 the day it came out. Bought wife a 6s 6 weeks ago and me a 6 plus 2 weeks ago
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11975 posts
3167 upvotes
Edmonton
You should replace your iPhone with an android phone very often; immediately.

For years I considered buying a refurb iPhone 4 or 4s when they were still current but the prices stayed inflated even for beat up 8gb models.

Then apple replaced the dock connector on the 5 making the docks on my $200 Sony clock radio and Phillips wireless iPod remote docks only useful for my existing iPod touch.

Then I picked up a Google nexus 4 for $150 and never looked back.

My wife has an iPhone 4 32gb and its getting replaced with an android; a second spare refurb Google nexus 4 from ebgames for something like $110.

Eventually we will upgrade to a nexus 6 or 6p, when refurbs drop to the $100ish level.

Alternatively if you insist on being an isheep, buy an unlocked 6s or 6s plus for whatever $1000-$2000 it costs and keep it with the cheapest byod phone contract that works for you.

Then keep that iPhone until it looks like an apple II, a dinosaur.

Otherwise you will be looking at $100+ a month for crappy contracts with around 1gb data.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26163 posts
39568 upvotes
Toronto
Magoomba wrote: I also opted for the 16GB model and bought on Craigslist. I made sure the seller had ID and receipt and there was valid warranty.
Can't they still report it lost/stolen for insurance claim thus sending phone to blacklist? Chances are low but people do stupid things for a few hundred dollars.
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Apr 25, 2011
359 posts
183 upvotes
My wife traded in her iPhone 5 to the Apple Store late last year and received just under $190 for it despite their online guide suggesting $115.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7749 posts
1635 upvotes
You can try to do an out of warranty replacement, usually they charge you much less than a new phone with a refurb unit, if you want to stick to iPhones.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4725 posts
2778 upvotes
"iphone" and "save money" should never be put together in a sentence, unless accompanied by words like "can't" and "won't"
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1604 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
If your phone works, and you are interested in not paying, why would you buy a new phone? You'll have the same problems with cords as before, just attached to a new phone.

And if you buy a new phone on contract, you have a chance of paying a higher monthly fee.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
semiconductingself wrote: Previously I would have gotten a new phone every couple of years by signing up for a contract. Unfortunately as we know the major phone companies have largely decoupled phones from their plans so that a contract doesn't give customers savings on the cost of phone anymore. I've had my iphone unlocked 4s 64GB for a few years now and I've had to replace the battery. I've replaced the cables/wall outlet adaptor a couple of times and the headphones more than a few times. I'm wondering at what point does it start to make sense to get a new iphone rather than to keep replacing things ? I'd love to hear if you have any thoughts or how you figure this out for yourself.
It's always cheaper to repair than to replace. Since when is the cost of replacing a part anywhere close the cost of a new iPhone even if you get some cash for your old one?

Paying for a new iPhone to get new features is a different question and that depends on your value matrix.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
HowEver wrote: Buy the latest one, sell it a year later and upgrade. That way you get the most return--way more return on iPhones than on any other phone, even older than a year. They cost more, sure, but are worth more, longer.
That's not the question he asked and what you propose clearly costs more.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)