Wheels and Tires

How often should one replace winter tires (Michelin x-ice xi3)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2019 3:15 pm
[OP]
Jun 1, 2015
246 posts
80 upvotes
Calgary, AB

How often should one replace winter tires (Michelin x-ice xi3)

My wife has the michelin x-ice xi3 tires on her forester (225/60r17). Has been driving on them for 2 maybe 2 seasons and a bit. The tires are no where near expiry based on their dot dates and she drives approximately 20 km/day for 4-5 days/week for roughly 6 months (october to march).

Based on rough estimation of typical driving distances and frequency, the tires have seen roughly 5000 km of use by the end of this winter season.

Time to replace come next winter (safety if the top priority here) or is it safe to assume the tires should last another season or 2? The vehicle/tires are parked in an insulated garage for the majority of the day with the exception of 2-3 hrs for 4-5 days/week when she drives out for errands etc.
24 replies
Jan 1, 2015
271 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto, ON
By checking how deep the tread is? Tire usage depends on a variety of factors such as: type of car, individual driver, road conditions, temperature, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9801 posts
1208 upvotes
RigorMortis wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 1:59 pm
My wife has the michelin x-ice xi3 tires on her forester (225/60r17). Has been driving on them for 2 maybe 2 seasons and a bit. The tires are no where near expiry based on their dot dates and she drives approximately 20 km/day for 4-5 days/week for roughly 6 months (october to march).

Based on rough estimation of typical driving distances and frequency, the tires have seen roughly 5000 km of use by the end of this winter season.

Time to replace come next winter (safety if the top priority here) or is it safe to assume the tires should last another season or 2? The vehicle/tires are parked in an insulated garage for the majority of the day with the exception of 2-3 hrs for 4-5 days/week when she drives out for errands etc.
We just changed our 2010 Forester with xi2 this season. Could've gone one more season with it but got some xi3 on clearance at CT.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2763 posts
564 upvotes
Winter Tires are good for 5+ years, and if it's really low mileage and never ever going on the highway... You could stretch it to 8+ years but keep an eye for rubber drying out and cracking. It's not so much tread wear but the rubber condition to be concerned with.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1427 posts
341 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
I ran my X-Ice tires until I hit the wear bars. Then, I ran them for one more winter. Then, I ran them for one more summer. When they felt like they wanted to hydroplane, I knew they were done.
Jan 17, 2009
788 posts
600 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
You can usually ballpark by looking at the wear bars (notches inbetween the tread that represent "i'm done"), or buy something called a "tire tread depth gauge" from amazon or canadian tire, then you can measure the amount remaining.

One thing with winters is the lower the tread gets the worse the performance in the snow is, so when its close to low even though it's still completely legal i'll get a new set. I usually get around 4 or 5 winters out of a set and i drive pretty aggressively and fairly high mileage.
Feb 13, 2017
172 posts
145 upvotes
ON
Tire wear is not calculated in seasons, hours, days or km estimates. All your calculations above are not relevant
Buy a tire tread depth gauge. Good digital ones are available for <$10 on aliexpress.com
Use it to measure your tire tread depth. Replace it when it hits 5/32nds for winter tires. Read this for more details APA Winter Tire Ratings
Feb 7, 2017
177 posts
65 upvotes
Tire replacement depends on you, but here's what you should think about:

Tire Thread Depth:
I simply bought a cheap tire depth gauge for $1. It is recommended to replace winter tires when they are below 5/32nds of an inch. Any lower and the grooves have trouble expelling snow. You should make a judgement based on how well the tire still handles.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Silver-Tester-M ... dg&vxp=mtr

Tire Age:
As the tire gets older the rubber starts to harden and it starts to crack and rot. You will begin to see cracks appear. Look at the tire manufacture date on the side of the tire which is stated in YYWW. Generally tires are replaced at something past four years, but some people stretch it further. It gets really dangerous as the cracks/rot can eventually lead to the tire ripping apart.

There also tire damage and alignment issues, but those unexpected scenarios.

In the end, it is all about a combination of cost, performance and safety. My Michelin Xi2 lasted me 6 years, but I kept them in very good condition. I replaced them when I started to see some cracking.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11510 posts
1128 upvotes
Siward44 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 3:15 pm
Tire Age:
As the tire gets older the rubber starts to harden and it starts to crack and rot. You will begin to see cracks appear. Look at the tire manufacture date on the side of the tire which is stated in YYWW. Generally tires are replaced at something past four years, but some people stretch it further. It gets really dangerous as the cracks/rot can eventually lead to the tire ripping apart.

There also tire damage and alignment issues, but those unexpected scenarios.

In the end, it is all about a combination of cost, performance and safety. My Michelin Xi2 lasted me 6 years, but I kept them in very good condition. I replaced them when I started to see some cracking.
Winter tires are generally past expiry well before they start cracking. The rubber will harden over time, making them less grippy on ice and snow.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9801 posts
1208 upvotes
board123 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 3:20 pm
Winter tires are generally past expiry well before they start cracking. The rubber will harden over time, making them less grippy on ice and snow.
This. Never had cracking in the xi2. It was just slipping more due to thread depth and hardness.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21497 posts
2388 upvotes
Montreal
I had a general altimax disintegrate on me after 7 years. So I would say before that.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1977 posts
2022 upvotes
GTA
6/32". Use a tread depth gauge.

Or sooner if they start cracking, or have any other obvious damage.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6629 posts
1386 upvotes
I typically go 3 winters then replace on my commuter. The armada goes 5+ but doesn't put many miles on it.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5001 posts
4299 upvotes
Montreal
This thread is comical, people throwing away tires well before they're finished based on internet folklore and not only pissing away hundreds of dollars but creating environmental waste too