Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2004
4465 posts
47 upvotes

How often should you hit the gym?

I just joined a gym with my girlfriend and her bro. We went last night and hit the weight machines (arms/abs)
treadmill/eliptic trainers (Cardio/legs)

We were there for 3hrs, we went home tired, but not sore today.. which is good. They went again this morning from 11 to 5, and tomorrow plan to do it again, plus 3hrs in the evening with me tomorrow. Lay off on Saturday.. then begin the cycle of
Sun/Mon/Wed/Fri
Morning/Evening (for them)
Just Evening (For me)

Whats the general average on how many times you hit the gym a week (and for how many hours) ?
Wanna get a REAL Canadian Job?
I placed 3rd in 2011 National I.T. Hero Competition http://bit.ly/ebKrHC
Have IT Questions/Problems? PM me, I'll be happy to help!
You can visit my LinkedIn: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/jeremyhowell

Thanks for being a great community, RFD!
10 replies
Oct 17, 2002
579 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
I go around 5-6times weekly.

4days purely lifting weights @ about 1hr+ (with very very light cardio after the workout), and 2days of cardio @ about 2hrs+ (treadmill for about 45mins than I hit the heavy bags for another hour or so).

3hrs seems a bit long though... What were you doing (ie., routine)?
Feb 2, 2003
843 posts
1 upvote
in terms of muscle growth you want
a warmup with a little cardio - 10-20min
weights - max 1hr
stretches -
you do not want to work the same muscles again without 48 hours of rest.

if you do cardio then after weights
the reason for the 1hr max has to do wtih hormone levels or something similar
The reason for the 48hr break is because muscles only grow when they are resting, so you want that time inbetween.
Oct 17, 2002
579 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
sumfunny wrote:in terms of muscle growth you want
a warmup with a little cardio - 10-20min
weights - max 1hr
stretches -
you do not want to work the same muscles again without 48 hours of rest.

if you do cardio then after weights
the reason for the 1hr max has to do wtih hormone levels or something similar
The reason for the 48hr break is because muscles only grow when they are resting, so you want that time inbetween.
I think it's different for every person. The whole 1hr thing is very general. You have the power lifters who'll take 5mins+ in between sets, you'll have the other guys who'll take 30s between sets, and the guys who are in between. Workouts typically last anywhere between 45mins to 1.5hrs... but again it depends on the person.

Im not sure about the whole hormone thing, but Im pretty sure the answer as to why you dont want to overwork your body has to do with the build up of lactic acid in your muscles.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2081 posts
352 upvotes
I don't know how much time you have, but 3 hours is long. 1 hour on weights, 30 minutes on machines, 10-20 min stretching.

If you are doing weights for more than 1.5 hours, you are not having an intense enough workout. Either that, or you're getting help from a little vitamin S.

Be sure to rest muscle groups 48 hours before attacking it again. Otherwise, the mucsles won't be able to repair themselves and you'll actually see a decrease in performance.

Your gf and her brother are going from 11 to 5 and then 3 hours in the evening with you? that's 9 hours in the gym. What the heck do they do there? Even juiced up guys I've read about in magazines only work out 8 hours a day max.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
3887 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
In the summer I would go 4-5 times a week about about 1hr weights, and 15 mins cardio. Now that i'm getting more lazy, i've been going 3 times a week, but increasing my workout to a total of 1 hr and 30-45mins, basically adding more cardio to my routine.

And yeah going 5 hrs in the moronig and another 3 at night is ********, unless that person is really really really really really really really really fat.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2004
4465 posts
47 upvotes
KennyX wrote:3hrs seems a bit long though... What were you doing (ie., routine)?
30 minutes on the eliptic trainer
30 on the treadmill
30 mins doing various weight machines
15 min break
30 minutes on the eliptic trainer
30 on the treadmill

Then the rest was changing and stuff. :p

I'm not sure what they did when they went in the morning. It was something along these lines.. they focused more on the machines, from what I gathered... they used two more.. one called "the fly" or something. and the Ab crunching machine.. We don't weight lift a lot.. I'm just working on improving my cardio, and mild upper body.. I love low-impact running.. so on the treadmill I'll set the speed to hill, lv 5 and put it up to like 4mph and run for 30 mins.. After I get off tho, it feels like I'm walking in slow motion :P

I've never EVER done work on my arms so I'm quite weak.. 15-30lbs.. My legs can curl 80 no problem. I dunno if thats good or not, but I'm happy.
McLaren wrote:And yeah going 5 hrs in the moronig and another 3 at night is ********, unless that person is really really really really really really really really fat.
Hey watch what you are saying.. My girlfriend weighed herself on Wednesday before going.. and right now shes already down 5lbs, and she's happy. So shush.

Jan 5, 2004
113 posts
richmond hill, ontar…
hey codec
did u join the extreme fitness and if so for how much?
Nov 15, 2004
764 posts
2 upvotes
It really depends on what you want to do, how much you want to and your time commitment.

My workout rountine.

Back in University, I use to pump iron 3 timse a week.

Mon - legs, bicep and back
Wed - legs
Fri - legs, tri and chest

I was pumping my upper body and i always doa jog 30 min after a workout.

It was great, i spend roughly about 2 - 2.5 hrs evertyime i go.

Before I weight 128...after I weight 148.

I stop doing that now b/c I don't have time and I don't need to work out my upper body no more. I am comfortable with my body structure.

Currenlty, i am training for triathlon and marathon for next year. I am also busy with work and part time business so I haven't gone to the gym as often as i want. I found that going to do routnine cardio helped a lot in maintaining my energy level.

I try to go 3 times a week. I am focusing 100% on cardio.

Jogging - i picked YMCA b/c they have a real track. Don't like treadmill b/c I want to really work on my legs. 30 min - 1 hr

Biking (circuit training an hour) - i use to bike 8 hrs back in summer. So this is just to keep me in shape. 1 hr

I have to add in swimming as well.

As you can see, depend on what you want, how often you go can be quite different. I mean if you have the time you can go 5 times a week. Do cardio on tues/thrus and pump iron on mon/wed/fri. I have ot put in more time for working out. An hour here and there doesn't relaly add up for what i want to do.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2004
4465 posts
47 upvotes
koolah wrote:hey codec
did u join the extreme fitness and if so for how much?
Yea I did.

1yr contract, all inclusive 505.04/yr after tax.