How open a new account Bank by internet only

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2017 1:08 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
ROYinTO wrote: Try contacting the head office of a few banks. Some of them offer services where the bank comes to you.
I was going to suggest that as well.
Or what about a Credit Union? They may be more likely to send someone to you if they are local.
Apr 26, 2017
264 posts
krs wrote: I was going to suggest that as well.
Or what about a Credit Union? They may be more likely to send someone to you if they are local.
Really?
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
2028 posts
1013 upvotes
Houston, TX
ThomasCastro wrote: Really?
My 5c. Many newcomers been tried to open bank account WITHOUT physical presence in bank. IMO that's NOT possible. E.g. they can "open" it (like some banks do via internet), but to "activate" it you have to be PHYSICALLY present in branch with 2 piece of id ....

Looks like you could NOT avoid "physical" verification of ID which require bank representative by PHYSICALLY with you. Either you visit a branch or they visit you.

Dur lex sed lex
Make the face great again
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7846 posts
8792 upvotes
ThomasCastro wrote: I reveal you my secret. I am deaf, hard of hearing and severe stroke is paralyzed similar Muscular Dystrophy. No S.W. help.
No offense to you, but it sounds like you really need a social worker or someone to act as your POA. Have you considered hiring someone to act as POA?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga
Not a bank account per say but acts like prepaid visa card where you can get your direct deposit in. It's called KOHO and it has some restrictions https://www.koho.ca/card-holders-agreement/
If you can work with this then you don't need a bank account.
Oh sada kehra bapu karda black nee, Jehra tere shahir (Toronto), Le lawan flat nee
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
I think you will need to get a power of attorney (if you do not have an existing bank with cheques available to you).

Most all the banks in Canada will require you to either
- Go in person to show ID
- Or mail them/App photo deposit of an existing bank cheque with your current name/address

If you are not capable of competing either of the above options, then you will find it impossible to open up an account. You will need to get someone to act on your behalf to do this for you.

djino
Apr 26, 2017
264 posts

For full access to your bank account(s), pick up your debit card at any CIBC Banking Centre within the next 3 weeks. Please bring 2 pieces of valid ID.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6144 posts
3613 upvotes
Toronto
I'm surprised that your facility does not have a social worker that can help you.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1284 posts
1567 upvotes
Kitchener
I just signed up for Tangerine. I required nothing physical, no deposit cheque.

Was able to link my other bank and deposit that way. All digital.

Haven't received my card or free cheques yet, but the account does seem to be fully working.

Perhaps because I have good credit? They did ask lots of credit history related questions on the sign up process to verify my identity.
Apr 26, 2017
264 posts
ROYinTO wrote: I'm surprised that your facility does not have a social worker that can help you.
Yes, I have settlement worker but she refuse investigation my personal affaire financial. Very rude and dissapoint respond. Nobody interest communicating with became deaf patient with laptop only.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
Eleventeen wrote: I just signed up for Tangerine. I required nothing physical, no deposit cheque.

Was able to link my other bank and deposit that way. All digital.

Haven't received my card or free cheques yet, but the account does seem to be fully working.

Perhaps because I have good credit? They did ask lots of credit history related questions on the sign up process to verify my identity.
If you didn't have any prior Tangerine account before, then you would have to had shown ID before you had full use of your account (since you mentioned not having to make any cheque deposit). There is no way, one can simply open up a Tangerine account and have immediate full access to the account without having Tangerine confirm your identity.

djino
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1284 posts
1567 upvotes
Kitchener
djino wrote: If you didn't have any prior Tangerine account before, then you would have to had shown ID before you had full use of your account (since you mentioned not having to make any cheque deposit). There is no way, one can simply open up a Tangerine account and have immediate full access to the account without having Tangerine confirm your identity.

djino
Well I did. No reason for me to make this up, just trying to help. Just checked and my transactions gone through, accounts fully working.

Perhaps because Scotiabank now owns Tangerine, the requirements are now lower. Since I do have a scotia account, which I signed up for in branch so they've seen my ID (Some months ago). Though i didn't get any questions regarding it.

And they did confirm my ID, just not through physical means, through the usual credit check questions - very similar to ones i saw when signing up for equifax.
Apr 26, 2017
264 posts
djino wrote: If you didn't have any prior Tangerine account before, then you would have to had shown ID before you had full use of your account (since you mentioned not having to make any cheque deposit). There is no way, one can simply open up a Tangerine account and have immediate full access to the account without having Tangerine confirm your identity.

djino
I will tonight open nat Tangerine Bank and I will let you know the conclusion.
Apr 26, 2017
264 posts
Create a PIN for online and phone banking

Enter your PIN

This information is required.
Re-enter your PIN

This information is required.
Some ploblem with Create a PIN for online and phone banking.

I am deaf. I don't use a phone.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
Eleventeen wrote: Well I did. No reason for me to make this up, just trying to help. Just checked and my transactions gone through, accounts fully working.

Perhaps because Scotiabank now owns Tangerine, the requirements are now lower. Since I do have a scotia account, which I signed up for in branch so they've seen my ID (Some months ago). Though i didn't get any questions regarding it.

And they did confirm my ID, just not through physical means, through the usual credit check questions - very similar to ones i saw when signing up for equifax.
Even under the Scotiabank ownership you still have to confirm your identity (assuming you do not make a cheque deposit from a cheque in your name).

You would either need to Visit a Tangerine Kiosk or visit a Canada Post location.

No bank just assumes the owner is who they say they are when an account is opened online.

djino
Apr 26, 2017
264 posts
djino wrote: Even under the Scotiabank ownership you still have to confirm your identity (assuming you do not make a cheque deposit from a cheque in your name).

You would either need to Visit a Tangerine Kiosk or visit a Canada Post location.

No bank just assumes the owner is who they say they are when an account is opened online.

djino
So sad for me.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
ThomasCastro wrote: Some ploblem with Create a PIN for online and phone banking.

I am deaf. I don't use a phone.
Are you using an updated/current browser?

They also have online chat support. Not sure about TTY, do you have TTY?
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
djino wrote: Even under the Scotiabank ownership you still have to confirm your identity (assuming you do not make a cheque deposit from a cheque in your name).

djino
RBC opened an account for me with out me setting foot in a branch or Canada Post or elsewhere. I applied online and signed online. This was my first contact with RBC in my life as a customer, never once had any credit cards or bank accounts with them.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga
^Not only that, they would let you open savings even if you are outside canada.
Oh sada kehra bapu karda black nee, Jehra tere shahir (Toronto), Le lawan flat nee
Apr 26, 2017
264 posts
MehtabS wrote: ^Not only that, they would let you open savings even if you are outside canada.
Is true. In case fraud or Money laundering.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)