Images
  • F8E1FD2B-BACE-410C-BCD1-FD0F3E4145F3.jpeg
  • 08CAEE6D-0B21-4073-9C96-B6D8DDDCAA09.jpeg
26 replies
Apr 25, 2011
928 posts
468 upvotes
British Columbia
The goal is to move away from pee pads as soon as you can anyway... So take the dog outside shortly after they have eaten and keep an eye on them as much as possible. Take them out every hour even if they don't look like they have to go out. If they are sniffing the floor or walking over to strange (hidden) locations around the house, pick them up and take them outside. If you catch them peeing or pooping, pick then up and put them outside. When they go outside praise them, even give them a treat or toy as soon as they're done doing their business.

At 8 weeks they have a long way to to in house breaking...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1561 posts
467 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the info
The only issue is she is 8 weeks old and should not be outside at all.
I’m trying put her out of pens after she ate something, but she is not pooping until no one is around and then poops and taking the poop and runs
Apr 25, 2011
928 posts
468 upvotes
British Columbia
amiratish wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 2:11 pm
The only issue is she is 8 weeks old and should not be outside at all.
Absolutely not true! Please take your dog outside!! This is a critical period of their development and the more experiences, places, people etc. that they meet the better. Shiba especially can be aggressive towards other people and animals as adults so the more experinces when younger the better to try and overcome their predisposed nature.

If you are worried about your puppy being not fully vaccinated, take them to places where there are no dogs or where there are dogs you know that are confirmed as vaccinated (puppy socialization classes or puppy training classes or friends that have dogs).

Personally, I would take them out and about even around other potentially unvaccinated dogs as much as possible. The risk of getting disease is so low vs the much higer risk of life long poor social skills due to not having proper exposure as a young puppy to other dogs and people. By the time they are fully vaccinated (4 months) the critical socialization period is over.
Last edited by Karala on Jan 22nd, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8177 posts
1352 upvotes
Winnipeg
best advice reward not scold. If it ever starts to fear you after messing it will never mess in front of you when you take them out!!! Its always the biggest hurdle to remember and can prolong potty training if you hit that slippery slope.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1561 posts
467 upvotes
GTA
Karala wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 3:44 pm
Absolutely not true! Please take your dog outside!! This is a critical period of their development and the more experiences, places, people etc.
Well she was out for less than a minute and she was shaking when I took her to vet! when I asked I've been advised from Vet that she is very small and not recommended to take her out
Karala wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 3:44 pm
If you are worried about your puppy being not fully vaccinated, take them to places where there are no dogs or where there are dogs you know that are confirmed as vaccinated (puppy socialization classes or puppy training classes or friends that have dogs).
I don't think that's about the other dogs vaccinated or not, the other vaccinated dogs may have or carry a virus and the little ones not immune to it, that would be the reason Vets recommending not taking them close to the other dogs

I have a big yard, can take her out but I'm afraid she catches cold!

above all, she is my first pet.
Apr 25, 2011
928 posts
468 upvotes
British Columbia
amiratish wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 7:53 pm
Well she was out for less than a minute and she was shaking when I took her to vet!
Shaking in fear? Or cold? If fear then she reallllllly needs socialization. Puppies should be very outgoing at this age. If cold well... Suck it up. This is a critical stage and it needs to be done.
amiratish wrote:
when I asked I've been advised from Vet that she is very small and not recommended to take her out
I work with veterinarians and I don't know a single one that would recommend such actions. I would phone them for clarification or in fact phone other veterinary clinics to get their opinions.

There is a very big difference between not going outside at all and not going outside around unvaccinated dogs.

Some veterinarians I work with even agree that taking them out around unvaccinated dogs is the lesser issue; in fact once the puppy has the first set of vaccinations theoretically it should be protected. You booster 3 times to ensure you are catching them as soon as possible after the mother's antibodies have worn off.
amiratish wrote:
I have a big yard, can take her out but I'm afraid she catches cold!

above all, she is my first pet.
She won't catch a cold. She is not a human baby.

As your first dog, do research. You will see countless websites telling you early and extremely frequent socialization is paramount. Take her out multipule times a day, to parks, pet stores, walks around the neighbourhood. Invite lots of people over to your home. Make sure she meets lots of people and goes to lots of different places. Carry treats and give people interested in petting her a treat to feed her -- she might learn to love people she meets that way.

When I got my last dog (an Australian Shepherd) I knew that the breed can be somewhat reserved around strangers to downright frightened if not socialized so I took her all over the place from day one. Every day she was going to dog parks, school parks, walks, sitting outside coffee shops, going in pet stores, going to the vet (fair enough I work at one -- but hey she loves the vet! Grinning Face)... And not the same places... I was going to different areas in the city or other cities in order for her to experience different places, walk on different surfaces, etc. Even with all my work she is not great with kids, she did not get enough exposure to them.

A Shiba is much higher risk in becoming standoffish and even aggressive with strangers and other dogs. You need to start working with them ASAP. It's all very important and the consequence of not doing so is lifelong.

By the way, I never mentioned before but the reason your puppy is walking out of the pen is because instinctively they don't want to poop where they sleep.
Jul 7, 2005
506 posts
111 upvotes
ummm OP is in GTA its been -20 to -30 with windchill.....

Shibas aren't dumb, once you get them pottying outside they will never want to do it inside...take the opportunity of bringing her out in the backyard 30-40mins after meals while the temps are up these couple days. They are super clean ridiculously so even with frigid temps, mine would hold it until last minute, let her out in the backyard dashes out to poo then zips back in....sometimes I wish she would just do her business inside the house.

Also, a Shiba inu will unlikely (never) soil their living area so having the pads inside the pen is useless lol Please do not apply the generic dog training (Cesar Milan) procedures with this breed, it simply will not work. Instead read up @ http://www.shibainuforum.org/
Jan 19, 2017
252 posts
69 upvotes
i second taking the puppy out. note that puppies who have been with their mom and have drank mom's milk since birth have the mother's antigens in their blood stream, so they are immune (temporarily, of course) to whatever the mother is immune to. this immunity wears off by week 16 (i am not 100% sure, but it's a number between 12 to 16). besides, your puppy has had her first shots, so she's in a good position.

please take her out, for two reasons:

1) potty training: she should learn as soon as possible that doing her business inside is not good. puppies are most likely to pee/poop right after they wake up, after they eat, and also after a play session. also, as another person mentioned above, if she looks like suddenly interested in smelling the ground for no good reason, or is going in circles with her head down, take her out right away. pee pads are good, but they should be used temporarily only in the beginning, and the puppy should be taught to go out as soon as possible. they don't understand the difference between pee pads and carpets or rugs, so if they're trained to use a pee pad, they might just decide to do their business on your expensive persian rug!

2) socialization: it's extremely important that the puppy sees different people (races, genders, heights, facial hair, etc.) and interact with them. they should experience different scenarios (city, suburb, forest, trail, lake, sun, rain, etc.). it's also extremely important for them to interact with other dogs as well. in this day and age, in north america (in say, GTA), the chances of finding a unvaccinated dog who is a carrier of a disease that your puppy might be susceptible to is very very low. puppies should interact and play with other puppies, and they should interact with adult dogs as well...if you're not comfortable with this, consider taking her to a puppy class (preferably one that has an adult dog helper, aiding the instructor during classes). the adult dogs teach the younglings how to behave, and if it's a controlled environment with an adult dog who is well-behaved, even better!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1561 posts
467 upvotes
GTA
Thanks everyone,
I took her to backyard today and immediately she peed and pooed outside, I gave her some treats
After two hours took her out and again she did

Any idea if I should keep the pee pads in for a short term?!
Mar 5, 2008
355 posts
40 upvotes
amiratish wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 9:43 pm
Thanks everyone,
I took her to backyard today and immediately she peed and pooed outside, I gave her some treats
After two hours took her out and again she did

Any idea if I should keep the pee pads in for a short term?!
i mean its really up to you - pee pads are convenient but i hate cleaning pee and poo from my carpets so i never used them to begin with (dogs can confuse the texture of pee pads and some kinds of carpet or flooring)

pup is only 8 weeks old you're gonna have accidents just take pupper out every 30 mins and give lots of praise and treats when she goes potty outside
sneezing could just be from dry air - or something bothering puppy nose if pup is eating/playing/pee/poo on a consistent basis there is nothing wrong

my pup (maltese/shihtzu) sneezes all the time when he is on his back its normal

also if you are afraid to take pup out before all rounds of shots here are some places u can bring pup which are safe and will help you greatly with socializing (Right now is the BEST TIME for socializing)

you can just put pupper in the shopping cart and push him around
-hardware stores
-pet stores
Holt Renfrew is dog friendly and Tiffany and Co
Eaton Centre does not allow dogs in the mall officially however i spoke with security guards and they only enforce it on the food court level because so many of the stores inside of Eaton centre with street access have Dog Friendly policies
Bass pro shops
canadian tire
Indigo

these places are great to get pup out and about and socialize as much as you can without having to deal with snow/slush/salty sidewalks etc.
Jul 7, 2005
506 posts
111 upvotes
Something tickle her nose? maybe a feather from duvet? something irritated her nose, it is unlikely because she was out in the cold (plus it wasn't even that cold) as Karala pointed out dogs don't get colds, not the way humans do. My dog goes into a sneezing fit sometimes, usually because I've smacked her in the nose by accident.

I would clear a patch of grass during the colder days, she'll likely do her business super quick and want to be back in. Shibas are pretty damn smart, will likely catch on to potty training around 2 weeks time (more or less) and will never ever potty inside the house; at least from my experience, 6yrs later my dog refuses to go inside.

And before you know it, it will be spring and your home will turn into a snow globe from all the shedding....maybe later for you since it'll take a while for her coat to grow in.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1556 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
Great information in this thread, thank you to all of those who contributed!

@amiratish - beautiful shiba, where did you buy it?

It is still advisable/practical to take a teacup poodle puppy to do their business outside in the winter rather than on a pee pad?