[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1578 posts
485 upvotes
GTA
Broli's Mom wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 12:33 pm
Great information in this thread, thank you to all of those who contributed!

@amiratish - beautiful shiba, where did you buy it?

It is still advisable/practical to take a teacup poodle puppy to do their business outside in the winter rather than on a pee pad?
Got her from a breeder in Lindsay
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1566 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
amiratish wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 12:38 pm
Got her from a breeder in Lindsay
Thank you. I love the breed...maybe next time. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1186 posts
720 upvotes
Etobicoke
does she have a crate? or just the fence in area in picture?. I would make the fence in area smaller at night. Dogs won't defecate/urinate where they sleep, but yours is to big, she/he will do it in the corner, you have to make it smaller.

I would also try not to use a pee pad.

Also, take her everywhere, pet stores, car rides, loud traffic, subway, bus, parks, socialize as much as possible. Try not to pick her/him up when meeting bigger dogs unless you really fear them, Your smaller dog needs to learn how to get along with all dogs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1578 posts
485 upvotes
GTA
xxxray wrote:
Jan 25th, 2019 9:45 pm
does she have a crate? or just the fence in area in picture?. I would make the fence in area smaller at night. Dogs won't defecate/urinate where they sleep, but yours is to big, she/he will do it in the corner, you have to make it smaller.

I would also try not to use a pee pad.

Also, take her everywhere, pet stores, car rides, loud traffic, subway, bus, parks, socialize as much as possible. Try not to pick her/him up when meeting bigger dogs unless you really fear them, Your smaller dog needs to learn how to get along with all dogs.
she has crate for nights, her crate is in my bedroom
I reduced the pee pads to only one in her pens just in case of any accident!

I'm taking her backyard every 2~3 hrs and she is doing her business out
Sep 13, 2011
976 posts
130 upvotes
How is training your puppy coming along? I'm really considering getting a shiba as well. Any insight would be great, thank you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1578 posts
485 upvotes
GTA
gotrice wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 6:31 pm
How is training your puppy coming along? I'm really considering getting a shiba as well. Any insight would be great, thank you.
Thanks to great RFD family, I took her out for her business and lucky me she got it.
She is very smart and gets the commands fast
The only issue that she is eating her business. Other than that I’m happy
Feb 11, 2009
204 posts
46 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
She is very cute! My parents had one for 15 years. He was very smart but very stubborn. He only listened to and cared about my mom (typical for Shiba that only has one "master").
I was able to pet him some days but not every time I visited.

Good luck with your puppy. Looks like a good start.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1578 posts
485 upvotes
GTA
shoppingBear wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 9:49 pm
She is very cute! My parents had one for 15 years. He was very smart but very stubborn. He only listened to and cared about my mom (typical for Shiba that only has one "master").
I was able to pet him some days but not every time I visited.

Good luck with your puppy. Looks like a good start.
Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3931 posts
875 upvotes
We got one of this similar training tray for our puppy. It works pretty good. The first couple of times you might have to put his poop on it to let him know. And don't use detergent to clean the tray or he will not use it again. Just wash it with water and put it back. It saves time than watching him running around in the back yard waiting for him to finish his business. And he doesn't have to hold it. Can do it anytime. Doesn't need to buy training pad as it is reusable.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1578 posts
485 upvotes
GTA
Feb 23rd, 2019 10:10 pm
We got one of this similar training tray for our puppy. It works pretty good. The first couple of times you might have to put his poop on it to let him know. And don't use detergent to clean the tray or he will not use it again. Just wash it with water and put it back. It saves time than watching him running around in the back yard waiting for him to finish his business. And he doesn't have to hold it. Can do it anytime. Doesn't need to buy training pad as it is reusable.
I prefer chase her while she is pooping outside rather than finding her poops masterpiece inside the house
Jan 16, 2007
965 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
Feb 23rd, 2019 10:10 pm
We got It saves time than watching him running around in the back yard waiting for him to finish his business.
Run around? When my dog was young he is on a leash when I take him out back. There's no running around unless it's in circles just before the drop happens. Now as an adult and off leash in backyard, running around only happens during playtime not poop time.