Personal Finance

How to pay Revenue Quebec using Tangerine?

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2017 5:35 am
[OP]
Jul 6, 2016
21 posts
Gatineau

How to pay Revenue Quebec using Tangerine?

I owe Revenue Quebec some money, but I can't find the payee to pay in Tangerine. What payee do I use to pay money I owe for 2016 taxes?
10 replies
Jul 28, 2012
798 posts
222 upvotes
Montreal
When searching for a payee, make sure you type "MRQ" or "Revenu Quebec" (not "Revenue").

For 2016 personal income tax owing, you would choose "MRQ-IMPOT PARTICULIERS 2016".
Dec 12, 2016
5 posts
1 upvote
You would be amazed by how impossible it is to find this information on either federal/provincial sites. Thank you very much.
Jul 17, 2008
18 posts
3 upvotes
Completely agree. The only explanation you get the Revenu Quebec website about direct payment is a link to Tangerine... I have to admit that Tangerine's system to pay bills is awful. Worst I've seen. You never know what to search for, you cannot get a complete list of their payees, and they always ask about an "account number" without providing any informations whatsoever on where to find it. For example, for Revenu Quebec, what number should I use? I have like 4 different numbers on my last "avis de cotisation", but none of them work. Entering my SIN did the trick, but I called Tangerine to ask them if that's the number I should, but the guy on the phone said he did not know because he does not live in Quebec... Anyone have done this successfully in the past and can confirm the "account number" should be my SIN? That would be appreciated.

EDIT: just found this tweet that confirms that the "account number" should be the SIN:

I'll leave the post here in case it helps anyone.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3131 posts
1245 upvotes
johnnycage1 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 12:00 am
EDIT: just found this tweet that confirms that the "account number" should be the SIN:

I'll leave the post here in case it helps anyone.
That tweet says nothing related to the account number.
Jul 28, 2012
798 posts
222 upvotes
Montreal
johnnycage1 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 12:00 am
Anyone have done this successfully in the past and can confirm the "account number" should be my SIN? That would be appreciated.
AFAIK, the account number format for a given payee is the same at all banks. (After all, it is the payee, not the bank, that needs this information. The bank sends all payments in bulk to the payee at the end of each business day.)

With this in mind, the account number required to pay personal income tax via online banking is indeed the SIN, both for Revenu Québec and the CRA.
Jul 28, 2012
798 posts
222 upvotes
Montreal
hvwozq wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 4:10 am
That tweet says nothing related to the account number.
johnnycage1 embedded the first tweet. If you click on the date/time of that first tweet, you can see the whole conversation.

This is the particular tweet about the SIN:
Jul 17, 2008
18 posts
3 upvotes
airodyssey wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 8:41 am
johnnycage1 embedded the first tweet. If you click on the date/time of that first tweet, you can see the whole conversation.

This is the particular tweet about the SIN:
Exactly. Thanks airodyssey!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
5663 posts
1489 upvotes
Montreal
I was stressed about that because I used "SIN" as account number and did find nothing on their site... it worked, saw my payment couple of days later on Revenu Québec website.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2004
7609 posts
38780 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

SIN number as in my Social Insurance Number?

Ju Leon...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
5663 posts
1489 upvotes
Montreal
inferno_gn wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 10:44 pm
Hi there,

SIN number as in my Social Insurance Number?

Ju Leon...
Yes, 9 digit number.