Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes

How to pick a good crate of clementines

Alright, all you grocery shoppers out there. Cough up your tips and tricks for picking a good crate of clementines!

What do you do to check them out before you choose one? How can you get the sweetest ones with the fewest seeds?
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3165 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
there are ones that are seedless to begin with. maybe max, each has 1 seed in it.
its generally hard to tell considering, its pretty hard to get the out of the crate to check them out. i would say they're all pretty good, small corner stores check them through ahead of time and toss out the bad ones.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
A. Never ever buy the first week or so nor the last week or so of the clementine crop.
B. Always choose the ones from Morocco...the blue labeled ones are what I go after.
C. Look for seedless label if any. It's always hit and miss in this sort of situation.
D. I squeeze the clementines gently and try to make sure that they're somewhat firm.
E. I look for ones that are orangey-roundish with an inset bottom (when you turn them over it looks like a dimple)

I take clementine shopping VERY seriously since it's the only citrus fruit I eat for the entire year. When I get a good crate, I'm scarfing those little guys down 2-3 at a time. :lol:
It's called "Google", use it before wasting my time. ;)

And yet another blog.
Nov 4, 2006
748 posts
67 upvotes
Also if you can check the fruit itself, there are a few things you should take into consideration:
- take a look at the color, make sure it's a nice bright orange and not some off color yellow.
- check the weight, make sure it's not too light (means it's dry inside)* the heavier the fruit, the more juicy it is inside.
- sniff and make sure there's a good strong citrus smell to it (means it's ripe)*
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Asagiri wrote:
Nov 27th, 2007 12:00 am
- take a look at the color, make sure it's a nice bright orange and not some off color yellow.
- check the weight, make sure it's not too light (means it's dry inside)* the heavier the fruit, the more juicy it is inside.
Yep, two good points there. The heavier the fruit the more liquid it has.

As an addendum to squeezing them gently, what you want is a fruit that does feel like the flesh has moved away from the rind. At the same time you don't want fruit that has a really thin skin which makes them a bit difficult to peel. No idea how to ascertain that...yet. :|
It's called "Google", use it before wasting my time. ;)

And yet another blog.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
1402 posts
10 upvotes
IronMac wrote:
Nov 27th, 2007 5:19 pm
Yep, two good points there. The heavier the fruit the more liquid it has.

As an addendum to squeezing them gently, what you want is a fruit that does feel like the flesh has moved away from the rind. At the same time you don't want fruit that has a really thin skin which makes them a bit difficult to peel. No idea how to ascertain that...yet. :|
Yeah. fruit away from the rind makes it easier to peel. Better enjoyment.
but,
Thin skin is a good thing... means there is more fruit. check for smoothness.
Thick rough skin is not something you want.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
3562 posts
425 upvotes
Regina
Oh Ma Darlin Oh Ma Darlin Oh Ma Darlin Clementine!!
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1155 posts
3 upvotes
usa
i always have trouble buying a good crate of it. always end up with more than half crate rotten before i even get to it. prefer buying the individual ones that you can pick from the pile.
× < >