Tags:
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13149 posts
2117 upvotes
Toronto
ErBoProxy wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 12:50 pm
I have worked at Pizza Hut the whole time I've been a student and I still remember all of the procedures and recipes to this day and will most likely bring them to my grave -- albeit it WAS 15 yrs ago, so who knows if it's still the case.

Usual rule of thumb in regards to the buffet is we served three regular types every day (pepperoni, cheese only and veggies), and the number of toppings for those medium-sized pizzas were the equivalent of what you would find on a small-sized pizza. It was simply to keep costs low since you can never be sure of the volume consumed / wasted on the daily buffet. The "à la carte" pizzas had the amount of toppings you would usually expect, but the buffet pizzas willingly had less toppings on them.

We also had a 4th "daily special" pizza to our rotation and, if it's looks too good to be true (for exemple : it's full of meat) it usually was because the ingredients were on their last day before getting past due date. Nothing bad per say, and obviously still edible, but the 4th pizza was akin to the "50 % off" cuts of meat you would find at the supermarket -- still good it if you eat it today, no guarantee for tomorrow though.
You need to visit the Dufferin mall Buffet location and see for yourself what it's like today though. It's a very serious joke.
It wouldn't surprise me if they really are using up all their due to expire toppings, now that I think of it, but it's still two toppings per pizza no matter what.
The thing that bothers me is that a good, better managed buffet is supposed to be one that reflects what pizzas they are selling, and acting like a reminder, just in case a buffet customer wants to order delivery in the future.
Instead, I'm left with the yuck feeling.
When I'm home I never order from them firstly because of how the buffet is kept. (needs more toppings, at least)
and secondly because their pizza in general (at the Dufferin location) is too greasy.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1105 posts
146 upvotes
Markham, ON
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 3:55 pm
You need to visit the Dufferin mall Buffet location and see for yourself what it's like today though. It's a very serious joke.
It wouldn't surprise me if they really are using up all their due to expire toppings, now that I think of it, but it's still two toppings per pizza no matter what.
The thing that bothers me is that a good, better managed buffet is supposed to be one that reflects what pizzas they are selling, and acting like a reminder, just in case a buffet customer wants to order delivery in the future.
Instead, I'm left with the yuck feeling.
When I'm home I never order from them firstly because of how the buffet is kept. (needs more toppings, at least)
and secondly because their pizza in general (at the Dufferin location) is too greasy.
The last time I went to Pizza Hut buffet was maybe 7 years ago? There was Hawaii, Canadian, Meat Lover, a bunch of dessert Pizzas and more. I think it was like $7.99 per person.

It was ONLY the lunch buffet. I didn't even know there was a dinner buffet.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5073 posts
1676 upvotes
Kingston, ON
I find Pizza Hut's crust bland and greasy, but I know many people that do like it. I like their hand-tossed better.

Much prefer ordering from local, non-chain pizza places. I don't know how they are in GTA but the ones in Kingston beat all the chains (Pizza Hut, Pizza Pizza, Papa John's, Dominos, 2-4-1) hands down.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1402 posts
14 upvotes
usa
I remember we used to love Pizza Hut long ago (maybe there were less choices back then). Several years ago, we decided to pick up a few pizzas from Pizza Hut, and it is the last time. I don't remember what toppings we got, but for sure there was sausage. I remember the sausage were tiny balls that resembled those found in frozen pizza. Since they were perfectly round balls, I'd assume they come pre-formed. And there was hardly any topping.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13149 posts
2117 upvotes
Toronto
Poppwl wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 8:34 am
The last time I went to Pizza Hut buffet was maybe 7 years ago? There was Hawaii, Canadian, Meat Lover, a bunch of dessert Pizzas and more. I think it was like $7.99 per person.

It was ONLY the lunch buffet. I didn't even know there was a dinner buffet.
Which location did you go to? I KNOW it was not the Dufferin mall location. They ALWAYS only do two toppings per pizza. A bad call on their part if you ask me, because their buffet is like an advertisment for all the variety of pizzas they have to offer...or at least it should be.
Plant it in the brain..."Wow gee that was a good pizza at the buffet....I think I'll order THAT for delivery this time..."
Sadly, NONE of their two topping pizzas stand out in my memory the next time I choose to order pizza, so I order home delivery from someone else instead.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1105 posts
146 upvotes
Markham, ON
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 11:15 am
Which location did you go to? I KNOW it was not the Dufferin mall location. They ALWAYS only do two toppings per pizza. A bad call on their part if you ask me, because their buffet is like an advertisment for all the variety of pizzas they have to offer...or at least it should be.
Plant it in the brain..."Wow gee that was a good pizza at the buffet....I think I'll order THAT for delivery this time..."
Sadly, NONE of their two topping pizzas stand out in my memory the next time I choose to order pizza, so I order home delivery from someone else instead.
I have only been to two locations. I went for Pizza Hut lunch buffet in 2003 at the Pizza Hut located on Highway 7 and McCowan. The most recent time I went to Pizza Hut buffet was the one near Finch and Highway 404 (401 if I remember the highway wrong). This was in 2010?

I haven't been to Pizza Hut lunch buffet since. When I last had lunch buffet at those locations their Pizzas were good and there were a variety of options to choose from. There were other patrons as well so you have to get to the fresh pizza as soon as possible. First come first serve.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4070 posts
732 upvotes
Regina
i miss the butter garlic sauce they used to carry, that stuff was like crack and used to dip everything into that, now it is only caesar dressing for dipping
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8945 posts
1718 upvotes
I never eat Pizza Hut anymore. They closed all their sit-down locations in Oakville and their take out location refuses to deliver to us because we are a block past their deliver zone.

Would love to have them re-open a sit-down location. That was always my favorite pizza experience when they were around. Probably won't happen though.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4070 posts
732 upvotes
Regina
their thin crust is pretty good, almost a cracker crust
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2113 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto
My last Pizza Hut lunch buffet was in 2013 at Ellesmere and Birchmount. Its was good, not picky over $8ish pizza buffet.

The Dufferin Mall location has dinner buffet? I remember passing by there and wanting to try it out.

They do rotate the pizza out ever 30 minutes when I went at Elles.
Last edited by raichu1 on Jan 17th, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13149 posts
2117 upvotes
Toronto
raichu1 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2018 12:24 am
My last Pizza Hut lunch buffet was in 2013 at Ellesmere and Birchmount. Its was good, not picky over $8ish pizza buffet.

The Dufferin Mall location has dinner buffet? I remember passing by there and wanting to try it out.

They do rotate the pizza out ever 30 minutes when I went.
The two locations are night and day.
The Dufferin location is $8.99 for lunch but you'll find that the value for the money is a lot better at the Ellesmere and Birchmount location.
I wish the Birchmount location would also do Dinner. That would be amazing compared to the crap dinner served at the Dufferin location for $10.99.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2113 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto
So the price is $9 now?

It is good to hear that the Elles location still serves good food for a Hut.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13149 posts
2117 upvotes
Toronto
Ducky wrote:
Jan 17th, 2018 1:01 am
so the buffets do still exist??
The ones doing buffet are mostly for lunch only, but yes. They do exist.