Off Topic Archive

Locked: How to prevent laundry room theft?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2006 7:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 22, 2005
57 posts

How to prevent laundry room theft?

My gf lives in an apartment building with a shared laundry room, there's no locks and the room is open 24/7. Lately she has noticed that some articles of her clothing had been stolen. How can she prevent this? We're planning to tell the superindendent but i doubt they can do anything about it. Any ideas?
Share:
18 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
4 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Short of waiting there until the laundry is done, or setting up camera, there isn't much you/her can do about it
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12226 posts
303 upvotes
im sure others are expereinceing missing items as well so get a bunch of the tennants together and put pressure on the super to get a lock on the door.

edit: it wont solve the problem but it will prevent other people from walking in and jacking your clothes

edit2: forget about what i just said,

if its happening on a regular basis, what you should do is wait and hide, when you find the perp... :lol: hahahaha good times
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34718 posts
1574 upvotes
Toronto
simple solution.... put a padlock on the doors of the laundry...
That way when you are doing your laundry you can put a combo lock on it.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18430 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Siefer999 wrote:im sure others are expereinceing missing items as well so get a bunch of the tennants together and put pressure on the super to get a lock on the door.

edit: it wont solve the problem but it will prevent other people from walking in and jacking your clothes
What if it's fellow tennants who are the theives.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2005
57 posts
UrbanPoet wrote:simple solution.... put a padlock on the doors of the laundry...
That way when you are doing your laundry you can put a combo lock on it.
Are there usually holes to put padlocks on in the washers/dryers? I haven't noticed. But I guess yeah if we can get some of the tenants to complain maybe they will put the locks on the doors. But I would assume they wouldn't want to do it because some people might leave their laundry in the machine the whole day locked and no one else would be able to use it.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Can we assume the worse about which article of clothing is being stolen here? ;)

If we're on the same page, then let's also assume this person has a perverted interest in your gf, and hopefully he's just harmless. What you can do is confront the problem head on. Let your girlfriend go about her business as usual. You can play the unassuming party and come into the laundry room pretending to do your load, and just keep an eye out of suspicious people. This person may be brazen enough to just commit the act in front of you under the pretense that he's doing his gf's laundry, and no ones the wiser.

If you catch him, take him down. Call the cops. It's a crime to steal people's property even in a public place.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
Bring a book and stay there until it is done.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2005
57 posts
Emancipated wrote:Can we assume the worse about which article of clothing is being stolened here? ;)

If we're on the same page, then let's also assume this person has a perverted interest in your gf, and hopefully he's just harmless. What you can do is confront the problem head on. Let your girlfriend go about her business as usual. You can play the unassuming party and come into the laundry room pretending to do your load, and just keep an eye out of suspicious people. This person may be brazen enough to just commit the act in front of you under the pretense that he's doing his gf's laundry, and no ones the wiser.

If you catch him, take him down. Call the cops. It's a crime to steal people's property even in a public place.
The articles of clothing stolen are some tanktops and cardigans, so I'm assuming there are no intentions of that sort :| The room is pretty small with 3 dryers and 3 washers so most of the time the room has no one in it, so the thief probably wouldn't try to do anything until no one is there.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2005
57 posts
I guess staying in there until the laundry is done is the best bet, but man, what a hassle :mad:
Banned
Dec 29, 2005
2181 posts
2 upvotes
Oakville, with Ryan.
kit0828 wrote:I guess staying in there until the laundry is done is the best bet, but man, what a hassle :mad:
I'll watch your laundry for you?
Monday, April 10th 2006: Marks the day MuchMusic ruined themselves for years to come.
MOOD: Ready to get owned 7 ways from Sunday
Want to know all the Raptors Off Season Buzz..
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=278444
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Sajjad wrote:I'll watch your laundry for you?

Never trust anyone with an unkept beard.

:D
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
kit0828 wrote:I guess staying in there until the laundry is done is the best bet, but man, what a hassle :mad:
May be a cell phone with unlimited incoming is good too. She may just talk for the whole session.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
4 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
gman wrote:May be a cell phone with unlimited incoming is good too. She may just talk for the whole session.
Or a home phone with superior range. I had one of those. I used to bring my phone down to the laundry just in case when I was living on the 10th floor of an apartment building. Reception was still fine, kind of to my surprise
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34718 posts
1574 upvotes
Toronto
kit0828 wrote:Are there usually holes to put padlocks on in the washers/dryers? I haven't noticed. But I guess yeah if we can get some of the tenants to complain maybe they will put the locks on the doors. But I would assume they wouldn't want to do it because some people might leave their laundry in the machine the whole day locked and no one else would be able to use it.
Pretty sure it can be retro fitted with some very short screws...
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
× < >