• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2013 10:55 am
Tags:
None
Feb 26, 2005
59 posts
Toronto

How to prevent pipes from freezing with power outage

I had no heat for the past 4 days. Just wondering what is the best way to prevent water pipes from freezing.

Do I just shut the main water switch and drain the water out from the taps?

Do I need to worry about the water in the hot water tank? If yes, then how do I drain the water out from the hot water tank?

I have a gas fire place in the basement. Is it safe to start the gas fire place with no electricity ? ( just thinking that it may need electricity for ventilation).

My house temp is now at around 6 degrees Celsius.

Thanks so much.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2155 posts
407 upvotes
open a couple of taps on various levels, then shut off your main water supply...
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Sep 20, 2005
954 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
flush the toilets, make sure all the water is out of the tanks and shopvac the trap.
Jul 7, 2010
765 posts
102 upvotes
burbs
if you don't want to turn off the water at the main you can keep taps dripping so water will keep moving and not freeze. but if you're at 6 degrees i don't think the pipes will freeze.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6189 posts
730 upvotes
It's 6 degrees in the middle floor, might be colder in the basement.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1856 posts
304 upvotes
Ottawa
You need to make sure that you reasonably attempt to keep your house heated even in the event of power failure so that you do not incur a huge loss. If you are negligent your insurance might be void and will not pay out. Since it is 6 degrees in the house and Xmas and everything will be closed for two whole days and it has been 4 days already I would get a propane heater or a generator to warm things up ASAP. I am sure that your insurance company will reimburse you for your costs as it will be far cheaper than paying out a claim for burst pipes. I also want to mention that if you are using propane please make sure you know what you are doing and keep it ventilated. Will the fireplace ignite without electricity? It is not a good source of heat but is better than what you have now. Also, it will not heat the entire house unless you can move the air with a fan.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1856 posts
304 upvotes
Ottawa
How is he to use the shopvac with no electricity... :facepalm:
wrigley wrote:
Dec 25th, 2013 11:08 am
flush the toilets, make sure all the water is out of the tanks and shopvac the trap.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2009 posts
65 upvotes
Niagara area
You have gas so if a gas hot water tank leave it on and it will create some heat in the basement
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1856 posts
304 upvotes
Ottawa
Let's all sit around the hot water tank this Christmas... :razz:
GTT1 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2013 3:43 pm
You have gas so if a gas hot water tank leave it on and it will create some heat in the basement
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
1072 posts
76 upvotes
One tap dripping should be fine. If pressure falls, open up taps like crazy for awhile. You dont have to worry until your house has been below freezing for a few days. You need a bit of movement so shutting main is wrong thing to do unless you plan on draining.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
1072 posts
76 upvotes
fieldhousehandyman wrote:
Dec 25th, 2013 7:48 am
open a couple of taps on various levels, then shut off your main water supply...
Wrong. You would have to blow water out of pipes if u plan on cutting water supply. The house can b below freezing for a few days so he has nothing to worry about.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
Lumber-jack wrote:
Dec 25th, 2013 3:38 pm
How is he to use the shopvac with no electricity... :facepalm:
It's about as bad advice as telling someone to use a propane heater indoors ;)
Jul 7, 2010
765 posts
102 upvotes
burbs
can also go buy a generator and run long extensions to your basement to run space heaters. just make sure generator is well ventilated outside so you don't kill yourself from carbon monoxide
Feb 9, 2011
880 posts
127 upvotes
Montr
Buy a kerosene heater for indoor and heat this place asap.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2155 posts
407 upvotes
freeonboard wrote:
Dec 25th, 2013 4:16 pm
Wrong. You would have to blow water out of pipes if u plan on cutting water supply. The house can b below freezing for a few days so he has nothing to worry about.
The advice I suggested will keep pipes from bursting. There is absolutely no harm in cutting off water supply and leaving water in the lines after opening a few taps to reduce pressure and provide room for expansion. We aren't closing up the cottage for winter here!
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
× < >