Cell Phones

How to prevent seller from block EMEI after I buy his phone?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2015 10:27 am
Tags:
None
Jul 6, 2009
276 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal

How to prevent seller from block EMEI after I buy his phone?

I have read that even if you buy a phone with a clean EMEI the seller can still block the EMEI after he has sold the phone. Is that true?

Is there any way to prevent this?
47 replies
May 30, 2015
25 posts
4 upvotes
East York, ON
There is no way to. Even with a proper contract between the buyer and the seller. It is difficult to get a carrier to unblock a phone since its essentially your word against theirs.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
Best defense is to buy from a reputable seller. The only bullet proof solution is buy new.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1101 posts
302 upvotes
ontario
im looking at buying a g4 so im selling my iPhone 5

I tell everyone im willing to meet at a telus store so they can scan it to verify its clean and then register the phone themselves

you think the stores would have some kind of 'virtual contract' where the buyer, seller and store employee(as a witness) signs a digital pad saying the phone was sold in a legit transaction
and the seller voids his chance of calling/blocking emei once that contract is signed
Nov 13, 2013
166 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
How many of these thread are we gonna have?

Do a search, it's really not that hard at all.
Jul 6, 2009
276 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal
E2EK1EL, I did a search before I posted but only found threads that talk about phones that have been blocked by the carrier. What I would like to know is how to prevent the seller from blocking the phone after I bought it.

If this thread annoys you, please just ignore it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
Denis54 wrote: E2EK1EL, I did a search before I posted but only found threads that talk about phones that have been blocked by the carrier. What I would like to know is how to prevent the seller from blocking the phone after I bought it.

If this thread annoys you, please just ignore it.
Those threads should have told you that there is NO way to prevent it from happening.
Nov 13, 2013
166 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
hvwozq wrote: Those threads should have told you that there is NO way to prevent it from happening.

BINGO, hvwozq is 10000% correct about it and there's no need for another thread that's not gonna change anything at all.

RFD is so beyond clogged with the same "preventing IMEI blacklisting" threads over and over and over again, it's been covered for almost 3 years now and we're gonna see another of these threads within 1 week.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1274 posts
258 upvotes
North Vancouver
The only "safe" way is to get the carrier to take the IMEI off their database, even then, there have still been cases where carriers blacklist anyways.
Nov 9, 2014
576 posts
261 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The only real thing you can do is trust that he won't. There is really no protection against used iPhones in the first place, that is why consumers go to the store to go on contract with their phones is because they either have an in-house warranty or they have a warranty with the carrier.

You can either buy from a reputable seller or you can buy from a non-trustworthy seller and say goodbye to a phone and name it paperweight.

I haven't read this whole post but just to clarify: If the seller wants to blacklist the iPhone, he can call in to the carrier by dialing 611 from his phone, say he lost his previous phone, give the IMEI to the carrier and the carrier will block the phone from accessing the network and only the owner can successfully unblock the blacklisted phone from this particular network.
Virgin Mobile $75 | 10GB Unl.| Unl. Canada Wide | Unlimited Text/Pic Msg | 75.00

Don't forget to hit the THANKS button if I've helped. Have a Great Day!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
will888 wrote: Best defense is to buy from a reputable seller. The only bullet proof solution is buy new.
I learn it the hard way that it is hardly foolproof at all. I bought a phone from Windmobile 3 years ago. All along I have owned it. And it was mysteriously blacklisted by Rogers for around a month. (I have had zero dealing with Rogers at all)
E2EK1EL wrote: BINGO, hvwozq is 10000% correct about it and there's no need for another thread that's not gonna change anything at all.

RFD is so beyond clogged with the same "preventing IMEI blacklisting" threads over and over and over again, it's been covered for almost 3 years now and we're gonna see another of these threads within 1 week.
The whole purpose of the blacklist body is to deter people from buying used phone. Basically the used phone market is dead as dead duck. We should raise this repeatedly
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7410 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
If you pay someone a good amount for their iPhone, why would they blacklist it after the fact? Do these shady sellers really have anything to gain?
Koodo Mobile
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Said212 wrote: If you pay someone a good amount for their iPhone, why would they blacklist it after the fact? Do these shady sellers really have anything to gain?
a brand new phone, using the insurance scam, or they just stop paying their mobile bill and the phone gets blacklisted
Problem is the phone you are buying second hand may have multiple previous owners, and any of them could have the phone attached to their account. So the person you buy the phone may not black list it but someone who previously owned the phone may stop paying the monthly service fee and boom the phone goes on the black list.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
buy from a reputable dealer (store). Saving an extra $1-200 is not worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Said212 wrote: If you pay someone a good amount for their iPhone, why would they blacklist it after the fact? Do these shady sellers really have anything to gain?
They do gain. Typically they buy from a carrier and sign a long expensive contract. Then they have found that it is too costly every month. It is possible that circumstance changes (say job loss). It is the carrier that reports the loss.
Daniel

Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Let us look at the problem from different perspectives
1. For the owners - the resale value of your phone drops like a stone; if he loses $1000 there is no recourse to recover anyway ; you can only give the phone to your friend/relatives; thief of the phone can still sell the phone away from N America; no reason that the rights of the owner should be diminished at all
2.For the carrier - big advantage that all used cell market is dead; big advantage to sell expensive monthly package(deceptive marketing); carrier can screw up the credit of the defaulting owner who skipped out of long monthly package;
3. For the buyers - no protection against unjustified blacklisting which is wantonly administered
4. Cellular reseller shops - dead
Daniel

Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jordanr19871 wrote: im looking at buying a g4 so im selling my iPhone 5

I tell everyone im willing to meet at a telus store so they can scan it to verify its clean and then register the phone themselves

you think the stores would have some kind of 'virtual contract' where the buyer, seller and store employee(as a witness) signs a digital pad saying the phone was sold in a legit transaction
and the seller voids his chance of calling/blocking emei once that contract is signed
why would the stores want to do such a thing? they take on the administration and assume the liability and costs of doing the transaction and being a facilitator but get zero income from it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
LandKing wrote: why would the stores want to do such a thing? they take on the administration and assume the liability and costs of doing the transaction and being a facilitator but get zero income from it.
They should not. That is why there is little protection for buyer of used cellular phone.
Daniel

Nov 13, 2013
166 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
danieltoronto wrote: I learn it the hard way that it is hardly foolproof at all. I bought a phone from Windmobile 3 years ago. All along I have owned it. And it was mysteriously blacklisted by Rogers for around a month. (I have had zero dealing with Rogers at all)

The whole purpose of the blacklist body is to deter people from buying used phone. Basically the used phone market is dead as dead duck. We should raise this repeatedly

It was deployed to prevent consumers from getting their phones stolen from all those crackheads "dash and grab" , but just like everything else in life you got evil ppl taking advantage of a good idea that had endless amount of loopholes for scams.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/stole ... -1.1873674

NYC Apple crimes are dropping 3% with the help of iOS 7 security features, the US IMEI blacklisting and the NYPD registration program that are actually on location during a iPhone launch.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/03/nyreg ... .html?_r=0

Why bother being a penny pinching cheap a$$ dealfinder on something that has a huge ratio of you losing $700 to save $200 within 3 months of your purchase? Logically that's the best deal of them all.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
E2EK1EL wrote: It was deployed to prevent consumers from getting their phones stolen from all those crackheads "dash and grab" , but just like everything else in life you got evil ppl taking advantage of a good idea that had endless amount of loopholes for scams. .
Here is the scam. I bet that the majority # of blacklisted phones are for the carrier penalizing the defaulting clients.
Thus there is no stats coming from the big carriers. Otherwise we know who get
the best deal out of this blacklisting set up which is a joke to consumers. It does not benefit the buyers as well as purchasers.
Phone snatchers (if any ) can sell stolen phones outside of N Am regardless.
Daniel

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)