Tags:
None
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada

How to properly prep pineapple?

I'm not sure on the terminology used to describe the process of prepping a pineapple other then to say it's similar to de-corking. How do you "scoop" out the little pits on pineapple? I usually lose a lot of the meat when I use a knife which I assume is not the proper tool. Should I use a de-pitting tool or some kind?

Thanks
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
17 replies
Jul 15, 2003
56 posts
1 upvote
I don't think you can get all the meat out --> the grocery stores have cored pineapple for sale and that is definitely not the whole pineapple.

The important thing is actually not the cutting - it's dipping the pineapple in salt water before serving --> it prevents some type of adverse mouth effect.
Jan 3, 2005
97 posts
cut off the skin thinly (you'll be left with the eyes..)
than cut off the eyes on a diagonal, like you will be cutting spirals across the pineapple..(cut more than one eye at a time, using the V cutting motion)..its hard to explain..but i tried..hehe
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2002
2654 posts
2 upvotes
jyeung15 wrote:cut off the skin thinly (you'll be left with the eyes..)
than cut off the eyes on a diagonal, like you will be cutting spirals across the pineapple..(cut more than one eye at a time, using the V cutting motion)..its hard to explain..but i tried..hehe
yup very true

cut off all the skin, then cut like this // // // // in a spiral shape in a V angle so you can take out the eyes too, u will lose pencil size pineapple but thats ok

then cut it into long carrot like slices and make sure to remove the core

soak in salt water for a while, usually 30mins will do, pour out and keep in fridge and just eat/make stuff with it

one time i didnt soak in salt water and it made my mouth itchy
May 23, 2006
77 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill
Hope this picture helps...

[IMG]http://static.flickr.com/41/82767602_5402ac1730_m.jpg[/IMG]

BTW, the roasted pineapple with cinnamon is much better than salt water soaked raw pineapple. Try the pineapple at Carnaval Barzilian Grill, a Paradise for Meats Lover, their pineapple is the best!!! :cheesygri

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them ...
:razz:
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1293 posts
63 upvotes
I didn't know about the soak in salt water thing. I've eaten about 10 fresh pineapples this year and never noticed any problem.
May 8, 2006
70 posts
1 upvote
How much salt and how much water? Wouldn't it make the pineapple taste salty or less sweet?
Jan 2, 2006
231 posts
monomono wrote:I didn't know about the soak in salt water thing. I've eaten about 10 fresh pineapples this year and never noticed any problem.
Same here. Fresh pineapple is my pregnancy addiction. Just had some this morning. So good! :)

Does the salt water affect the taste of the pineapple?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1293 posts
63 upvotes
aimie wrote:Fresh pineapple is my pregnancy addiction.
That's interesting :) My wife is pregnant and this thread got me worried. According to some web sites pregnant women should avoid pineapple (as well as papaya and certain other fruits) since they contain enzymes which may cause miscarriage. However there doesn't seem any medical evidence to back this up. Meanwhile other sites say pineapple contains good vitamins etc. that should be part of a pregnancy diet.
In any case I didn't find anyone saying pregnant women must not eat pineapple that hasn't been soaked in salt water, so that's a relief :)
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2813 posts
26 upvotes
This is my new favorite use for pineapple. Makes a very thirst quenching drink.

Tepache (Fermented Pineapple Drink)

1 whole ripe pineapple, about 3 lb.
12 cups water
20 ounces raw sugar or brown sugar
1 3-inch stick cinnamon
3 whole cloves

Directions:
Wash the pineapple thoroughly, remove the stem and cut the pineapple into large pieces, rind and all. Place the pineapple chunks in a large bowl and add 8 cups of the water, the sugar, cinnamon and cloves. Cover and let stand in a warm place for 48 hours. Strain the tepache and add 4 cups of water. Or if you prefer, add 1 cups of beer (lager) and let stand an additional 12 hours, then strain and add 3 cups of water.

Serve cold, with ice cubes.

Serves 6.
May 23, 2006
77 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill
From the internet...

Eat pineapples as soon as possible after purchasing as they don't ripen any further once harvested. Store them at room temperature only briefly and keep sliced pieces wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge.

Cooks beware. Pineapple contains the enzyme bromelin which breaks down protein, so don't bother fussing with gelatine-based desserts using raw pineapple. It needs to be cooked first before making wobbly jellies and slinky custards.

However, it is a great meat tenderiser; simply rub the fibrous golden flesh on raw meat before cooking.

Eating Fully ripe, the piquant pulp of the pineapple is delicious for breakfast and dessert but in Asian cuisines it is used in many other ways. Half-ripe pineapples are used in Vietnamese sour soups, Malaysian curries and Thai salads.

Combine fresh pineapple pieces with chopped red capsicum, coriander leaves, finely chopped chilli, grated ginger, lime juice and brown sugar to taste. Serve with char-grilled swordfish steaks.

Wrap thinly sliced prosciutto around small chunks of ripe pineapple and serve with icy cold champagne.

Cut pineapple and lean beef into pieces and alternate them on skewers. Brush with olive oil, splash with soy and grill until tender.

Drizzle pineapple slices generously with honey, sprinkle with ground cinnamon and roast in a moderate oven for about 20 minutes or until the pineapple is soft. Sprinkle with toasted chopped macadamia nuts and serve warm with coconut ice-cream.

Freeze pineapple chunks and serve as a healthy ice-block for the kids.

Try a Vietnamese-style sour soup by stir-frying chopped green prawns with sliced green onions. Add plenty of stock, fish sauce to taste and thinly sliced pineapple. Bring to the boil and simmer for a couple of minutes before serving topped with coriander leaves.

Make a fruit salad fit for the gods by combining pineapple chunks, mango chunks, sliced pawpaw and a little sliced preserved ginger. Drizzle with a syrup made from fresh lime juice, white rum and coconut sugar.

Jan 2, 2006
231 posts
monomono wrote:That's interesting :) My wife is pregnant and this thread got me worried. According to some web sites pregnant women should avoid pineapple (as well as papaya and certain other fruits) since they contain enzymes which may cause miscarriage. However there doesn't seem any medical evidence to back this up. Meanwhile other sites say pineapple contains good vitamins etc. that should be part of a pregnancy diet.
In any case I didn't find anyone saying pregnant women must not eat pineapple that hasn't been soaked in salt water, so that's a relief :)
Some say that fresh pineapple can help induce labour. I just happened to eat an entire fresh pineapple in one sitting a few days before my due date with my dd, and nothing happened. :)

The miscarriage thing sounds like it might be a myth. I've never seen it mentioned in pregnancy books. They just say 'no deli meat, no unpasturized cheese, etc. (because of bacteria that can be harmful for the baby)
May 23, 2006
77 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill
Question: I have heard that pineapple can cause an abortion, is that true? and what other things that can cause abortion?..

Ans: Abortion or miscarriage is mostly a natural phenomenon of the body to abort any pregnancy that is biologically not correct. The eating of any natural thing does not cause that, at least not scientifically proved. People generally believe pineapple, gingelly seeds, raw papaya causes abortion and should not be consumed during the first three months of pregnancy.

From this web site..

Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
but i love a fresh pineapple.

i never ever soak in salt but it is always tasty and sweet. the flavour is like a punch to the mouth. but in a good way.

i like the pineapples we get here better than the ones in asia.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1955 upvotes
Elmira
I ate too much pineapple one time and it like blistered my mouth from all the acidity... Not to mention the brutal heartburn that followed

People like me who suffer from heartburn BEWARE! :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
165 upvotes
personally i love pineapple to death, but the ones up here are acidy.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
I bought the Cordon Bleu cookbook and thet teach u how to core a pineapple like how they are at the grocery store.

you cut the top and bottom off and take a sharp knife and run it along the inside so what you remove is a cylinder!
works pretty well and you can also use the shell as a decoration!

I also looove pineapple and eat it every week!
I saw this in a catalog I was shopping from.
A pineapple coring set- you can cut your pineapple like a pro and save 2-3 $ extra they charge at the store (at least where i live...)

http://www.ashtongreen.com/product.dhtm ... 119&pres=1

Pineapple Slicer/Corer

Removing all those little eyes from a fresh pineapple with a knife can be a chore and, until now, the available pineapple gadgets created a lot of wasted fruit. With this new slicer you can peel, core, and slice a fresh pineapple in less than a minute and with very little waste. You cut the top off the pineapple, select the cutter that matches the diameter of the fruit, centre it over the core, and turn the large, cushioned handle. The central blade cores, the edge blade peels, and the horizontal blade slices -- all in one easy motion, corkscrewing through the fruit. You then pull and twist the fruit out, leaving behind a shell of peel which you can use for food or drink presentation. The dishwasher safe set includes one handle, 3 ABS plastic cutters: 3 5/8, 3 1/4, and 2 7/8 inch diameters, and complete instructions. Made in the Netherlands.

C119.03 Pineapple Slicer Set C$ 19.95

I esp like the brochette st huberts has- they have grilled pineapple w sauce on it, mushrooms, green pepper and onion yum!
This user has no signature! :| :| :|