Home & Garden

How to Protect White/Beige Leather Sofa?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2012 11:36 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 16, 2004
424 posts
1 upvote

How to Protect White/Beige Leather Sofa?

i'm thinking of getting a light beige colour leather sofa, however i'm worried that the blue from jeans will rub off onto it, especially if the person is wearing brand new jeans.

for those of you who have sofa's in this colour, how do you protect? is it possible to prevent jeans from having the colour rub off onto it?

or should i just get a darker colour sofa?

thanks
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6224 posts
84 upvotes
Come on, you know that a beige or white sofa is simply asking for trouble. You'll end up spilling a drink or dropping food on it at some point...
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
22833 posts
915 upvotes
Markham, ON
bacid1 wrote:i'm thinking of getting a light beige colour leather sofa, however i'm worried that the blue from jeans will rub off onto it, especially if the person is wearing brand new jeans.

for those of you who have sofa's in this colour, how do you protect? is it possible to prevent jeans from having the colour rub off onto it?

or should i just get a darker colour sofa?

thanks
my wife and I got one...i thought the focal point would be our plasma tv...but it hasnt been so far...everyone comments that they love the off white leather sectional. We bought a cotton cover over 60x80? not sure the size. We use it when the niece and nephew come over and when we are only at home. When we have guest we take it off.

Most of our close friends know about the sofa, so they know not to wear brand new jeans.

We have been quite careful so far...but it's been very enjoyable so far.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3147 posts
507 upvotes
I've had one for about 4 years now from Mobila store and I thought keeping it clean would be more of an issue but it's actually been quite simple.

The Mr. Clean magic eraser is perfect for the sofa. Just use it with some water and a paper towel when u notice the sofa not being as bright or clean as u remember.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Feb 19, 2004
260 posts
17 upvotes
Sorry for digging up an old thread. I couldn't find much info on this topic.
I'm in the same situation as the OP.

Just bought a white leather sofa from Leon's and didn't get sucked into getting their leather protection plan.
But now, I need to find a good protectant for the sofa.

Does anyone have any good recommendation?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3147 posts
507 upvotes
It's funny that I was able to quote the post above yours and then I realized that I posted that 5.5 years ago. My sofa still looks fine. I'm still using the magic eraser periodically. I remember using the generic Danier or 3M leather protector maybe once at the very beginning.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Feb 19, 2004
260 posts
17 upvotes
Thanks for your reply!
Makes me a lot more at peace after seeing your comments.

I guess I'll look for some 3M spray to scotchgard it!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7666 posts
761 upvotes
North York
charltonc wrote:
Dec 10th, 2012 3:09 pm
Thanks for your reply!
Makes me a lot more at peace after seeing your comments.

I guess I'll look for some 3M spray to scotchgard it!
Make sure the protection spray doesn't contain silicon. Silicon based sprays are very bad for fine leather. (Okay for winter boots for waterproofing)

The silicon adds a non-breathable (waterproof) barrier that will cause the leather to dry out and crack (eventually).

I like to use a leather conditioner/cleaner twice a year on leather chairs. It will clean and moisturize the leather.

Avoid using harsh cleaners (ie. dishwashing soap/soaps). If you do use soap(s), just make sure you use a wet cloth to remove the soap afterwards. (Then wipe down with leather conditioner).

If you must use a "scotchguard" type spray, make sure it doesn't contain silicon. Look in the ingredients. Many fine leather shops, now carry non-silicon waterproof sprays.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
22833 posts
915 upvotes
Markham, ON
wow...post from 6 yrs ago :)

(i feel so old now hehe)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3147 posts
507 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 9:43 am
wow...post from 6 yrs ago :)

(i feel so old now hehe)
Imagine how I felt when I was about to quote myself then realize how old the thread was. A lot has changed in my life but apparently not my sofa. Maybe it's time for a new one .
Heatware 3-0
× < >