• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 1:16 pm
[OP]
Feb 21, 2010
632 posts
138 upvotes
Scarborough

how to purchase Vanguard mutual fund?

I am interested to get VIC 300 - a new mutual fund offered by Vanguard. Both Investorsedge and TD Direct Investing are not offering an option to purchase this. Can anyone check with their DIY account and see if you can purchase this fund?

Thx
21 replies
Feb 1, 2012
824 posts
794 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
Vanguard Canada's mutual funds are F-series, which means they are intended only for clients of fee-based advisors.

http://cawidgets.morningstar.ca/Article ... ture=en-CA
individual Canadian investors won't be able to buy Vanguard mutual funds directly from the company once they go on sale. If you want to invest in a Vanguard mutual fund, once they receive final regulatory approval, you'll need to be a client of a fee-based advisor.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investi ... -industry/
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10098 posts
409 upvotes
Moncton, NB
I also found the following here

The new mutual funds will be available as Series F and can be purchased by investors who are clients of fee-based financial advisors. Under a fee-based arrangement, investors pay their financial advisor a defined fee that does not include embedded commissions or trailer fees. The mutual funds can also be accessed by self-directed (DIY) investors through a discount brokerage (currently, Questrade and Qtrade Investor).

**Also note the 5000$ min investment and 100$ subsequent investment.
KitKat item collector- always looking for swag or branded items.
[OP]
Feb 21, 2010
632 posts
138 upvotes
Scarborough
Thx
Feneant wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 11:50 am
I also found the following here

The new mutual funds will be available as Series F and can be purchased by investors who are clients of fee-based financial advisors. Under a fee-based arrangement, investors pay their financial advisor a defined fee that does not include embedded commissions or trailer fees. The mutual funds can also be accessed by self-directed (DIY) investors through a discount brokerage (currently, Questrade and Qtrade Investor).

**Also note the 5000$ min investment and 100$ subsequent investment.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4299 posts
613 upvotes
Montreal
If those new MF's are indeed class F, discount brokers won't offer them.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
1746 posts
724 upvotes
Houston, TX
Not available
Make the Trudeau drama teacher again!
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10098 posts
409 upvotes
Moncton, NB
*shrug* The site I quoted said Questrate has them but it could be wrong. I know I can't see mutual funds from the Android app but from the website maybe you can? I know when I bought Mawer MF's for my wife they were harder to locate on the website.
KitKat item collector- always looking for swag or branded items.
[OP]
Feb 21, 2010
632 posts
138 upvotes
Scarborough
I don’t have questrade but based on above posts, it is not available, right?

I was thinking of putting some cash in this fund, I don’t need this cash for a foreseeable future (more than 20 years) and I like the fact that small cap US based companies are actively managed for just 0.5% MER.
What other option I have in this space if I can’t buy this mutual fund from questrade?
Jun 10, 2013
400 posts
143 upvotes
You can buy the VBR (small-cap value 0.07% MER) or VONE (Russell 1000, MER 0.12%) or VTWV (Russell 2000, 0.2% MER) in USD on the NYSE? Questrade makes it easier since you can hold USD pretty seamlessly. The American ETFs for that category have MERs of less than 0.2%. Remember to use Norbert's Gambit when converting CAD to USD. You're getting a way better deal from the States and you get to avoid dividend withholding taxes (15% of dividends) from the States if not held in a TFSA/RESP (RRSP and taxable should shield from that withholding tax). You're almost always better off with ETFs if you can get a broker that eliminates your transaction costs (Questrade does this minus the negligible ECN fee).
Jun 10, 2013
400 posts
143 upvotes
Confirmed, Questrade does have it...9.95 commission, pfft, how un-RFD. Anyway, beats paying an advisor at least.
Images
  • Questrade.PNG
  • Questrade2.PNG
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
1342 posts
173 upvotes
It shouldn't be too long before all discount brokerages have to change their model to charge for mutual fund trades and allow F-class funds or rebate trailer fees.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1699 posts
670 upvotes
I used to have an account at Questrade just for mutual funds because they have access to F-series.
You don't buy mutual funds via the regular trading platform. You will need to log into your account management portal and send your mutual fund purchase there.

I believe there is a fee for $9.95 for the transaction.
They will reimburse you the trailer fee (they keep some). However, we don't need to worry about it because there is none for F-series.

I regret leaving Questrade. I guess the only reason why I left Questrade is because their Norbert's Gambit takes almost a week to complete. And I guess some times their commission could be higher than $9.95 due to the ECN fees when your trades get huge.

Just remember one thing, always open your RESP accounts at Questrade. You will thank me later.
[OP]
Feb 21, 2010
632 posts
138 upvotes
Scarborough
Thx
Hobotrader wrote:
Jul 8th, 2018 9:56 am
Confirmed, Questrade does have it...9.95 commission, pfft, how un-RFD. Anyway, beats paying an advisor at least.
Jun 23, 2012
52 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary
Any particular reason for VIC 300 and not other active offerings?
Jun 23, 2012
52 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Jul 8th, 2018 1:53 pm
Just remember one thing, always open your RESP accounts at Questrade. You will thank me later.
Could you please expand on this?