• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2020 9:31 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2016
1681 posts
1737 upvotes
Montreal

How to receive large items at an apartment

Long story short... I ordered a TV at Costco.ca which was shipped via UPS. The carrier left three notices claiming I wasn't available while I was home the whole time. Customer service of UPS said calling my number was not an option. How can I get notified then if they don't contact me when they arrive? I won't be able to sit at the apartment entrance for 24 hours just to wait for this package. I am so curious to know how these carriers deliver large items to apartments. It is a waste of resources and everyone's time when they just came and left.
6 replies
Dec 12, 2005
984 posts
398 upvotes
Richmond
In our apartment, if they "missed" you, they leave a tag and you can pick up the item from a UPS store near our place.

Regarding the driver not contacting you, maybe he does not know your buzzer number?
Dec 1, 2009
301 posts
312 upvotes
sneakerfan wrote: Long story short... I ordered a TV at Costco.ca which was shipped via UPS. The carrier left three notices claiming I wasn't available while I was home the whole time. Customer service of UPS said calling my number was not an option. How can I get notified then if they don't contact me when they arrive? I won't be able to sit at the apartment entrance for 24 hours just to wait for this package. I am so curious to know how these carriers deliver large items to apartments. It is a waste of resources and everyone's time when they just came and left.
You don't have to wait 24 hrs. They have certain hours of operation.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2016
1681 posts
1737 upvotes
Montreal
Pick up was the last option they proposed. However, if I can pick it up, I would just buy it from a warehouse (at a cheaper price).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
ai_c wrote: Regarding the driver not contacting you, maybe he does not know your buzzer number?
+1

Did you specify your buzzer code on your order? Even if you typed it in on Costco's website, there's a chance that it didn't make it to the UPS shipping label, especially if it's been drop shipped (i.e. shipped from the distributor and not really from Costco; Costco just passes their order to the distributor).

Did you tell UPS customer service your buzzer code so that they can add it?

Couriers won't call you from their personal cell phone. If there's no buzz code or no directory at the entrance that calls your buzz code, if they don't see someone in lobby to pick up the package, they're moving on.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
As posters above mentioned, the details of your buzzer code may be incomplete.
Call UPS customer service and update/confirm all info especially buzzer code.
Some drivers may call on their personal phone but not obligated.
Some apartment buildings also require that you reserve the elevator for large package deliveries as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
If the buzz code isn't on the label, chances are they aren't going to take the time to look it up on the console. They might leave a tag on the wall by it, or they might just send it back and let someone at the depot look into it. They have less than 4 minutes per delivery, including the time to get there from the last one, so they aren't spending any more than the very minimum of time on it. UPS is the worst for tracking their drivers and what they do during the day.