• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2018 3:06 pm
[OP]
Nov 18, 2008
557 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto

How to reinforce this garage door?

Any advice from the expert is greatly appreciated.. I’m trying to install a garage door opener and the past few times that I did it, normally the doors were standard sectional with standard heights. I normally just go to home depot and get a kit made by Clopay and it works up to 24” section.

My new home, the garage door has 3 section and each is 32” in height, I can’t seen to find any kit on the market.

As you can see it’s reinforced horizontal but nothing in the middle for vertical reinforcement... would a simple vertical steel brace connecting the horizontal brace to the first hinge work as reinforcement?

This is the kit that I've purchased before. what if I use the same kit and connect the top part to the horizontal reinforcement and the bottom to the door directly instead of the hinge since it's too short. Would that provide enough reinforcement?

Any suggestions?
Images
  • FF43D0F2-D53D-4BDC-B4C2-093F168F9E05.jpeg
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4750 posts
1557 upvotes
Paris
That looks like a steel reinforced door. We have a 16 wide by 8 high and no reinforcement needed.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2008
557 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 4:33 pm
That looks like a steel reinforced door. We have a 16 wide by 8 high and no reinforcement needed.
How to tell aluminum vs steel? Can u send me a picture of yours?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7457 posts
5742 upvotes
Oakville
samguan wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 4:41 pm
How to tell aluminum vs steel? Can u send me a picture of yours?
Try a magnet.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2008
557 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
Ok looks like it’s steel since the magnet can stick but does that mean I don’t need reinforcement?

My research suggest otherwise. I’m thinking of simply running a steel plate vertically in the center from top to bottom on the first panel..
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7457 posts
5742 upvotes
Oakville
samguan wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 6:45 pm
Ok looks like it’s steel since the magnet can stick but does that mean I don’t need reinforcement?

My research suggest otherwise. I’m thinking of simply running a steel plate vertically in the center from top to bottom on the first panel..
On my garage door the attachment plate doesn't run from the top to the bottom of the first panel. It doesn't seem to be a problem and it's gotta be 20 years old. Remember that the opener is always pulling mostly up on the top panel.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2008
557 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:00 pm
On my garage door the attachment plate doesn't run from the top to the bottom of the first panel. It doesn't seem to be a problem and it's gotta be 20 years old. Remember that the opener is always pulling mostly up on the top panel.
I'm wondering if I can use an horizontal angle iron below the existing horizontal brace and then a vertical iron angle and then just have the opener hook directly to the iron angle... I still can't seem to understand why we need vertical bracing is it because the garage door openers pull away in the beginning before it goes up?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7457 posts
5742 upvotes
Oakville
samguan wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 1:12 pm
I'm wondering if I can use an horizontal angle iron below the existing horizontal brace and then a vertical iron angle and then just have the opener hook directly to the iron angle... I still can't seem to understand why we need vertical bracing is it because the garage door openers pull away in the beginning before it goes up?
It helps spread the load a bit. You don't want the horizontal brace to bend or the screws to pull out.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2008
557 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
lehmanr wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 9:33 am
Post #231 of this thread. ask-me-anything-about-garage-doors-open ... #p23477147
Thanks much appreciated, I have a few options in my mind. I might do the same.

The opener is up now, like the way it turned out. Will work on the wiring once my staple gun arrives.

I’m just taking my time to get everything done right, all correct size pilot holes for lag bolts and proper structural support. I might get one of those laser distance measure so I can position the ceiling brace straight by checking the distance with the wall... sometimes it looks straight when you’re up there and then when you come back down, it looks way off lol lucky mine turned out straight.

[OP]
Nov 18, 2008
557 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
Here future reference, this is what I ended up doing. Angle iron. Definitely not a DIY for everyone not because it’s hard, it looks easy but there are so many things when you actually do it.

Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4750 posts
1557 upvotes
Paris
samguan wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 7:22 pm
Here future reference, this is what I ended up doing. Angle iron. Definitely not a DIY for everyone not because it’s hard, it looks easy but there are so many things when you actually do it.
I had a medium heat fight with my wife when we moved into our house 10 years ago and the previous owners didnt have a garage door opener (I mean... really???). I decided I didnt have the time or patience to do it myself with all the other new home stuff so I paid Depot to do it. She was livid saying WE should be able to do it ourself. So I told her that I didnt have time but if she would like to she was welcome to DIY it. Depot did it. Btw, it was $40 at the time on a $200 opener. Hardly worth my time. Guy was there for 3 friggin’ hours.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2008
557 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 8:31 pm
I had a medium heat fight with my wife when we moved into our house 10 years ago and the previous owners didnt have a garage door opener (I mean... really???). I decided I didnt have the time or patience to do it myself with all the other new home stuff so I paid Depot to do it. She was livid saying WE should be able to do it ourself. So I told her that I didnt have time but if she would like to she was welcome to DIY it. Depot did it. Btw, it was $40 at the time on a $200 opener. Hardly worth my time. Guy was there for 3 friggin’ hours.
I think it’s at least $100 each now for a basic opener... we hired someone for my parent’s house at $100 each and the guy was there for like 6-7 hours lol...mine being a 8ft door - high traveling and high ceiling, I believe it will be a little more as it requires extension belt, extension boom, extension arm and little extra work. I spent probably about $70 for materials, bolts/nuts and angle iron. Went with beefier angle iron for ceiling attachment, the ones that come with the kit which most installers use are too thin.

If I factor in the time, I probably lost money but sometimes it’s not what DIY is about.. it’s about learning and accomplishment and doing it right.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7457 posts
5742 upvotes
Oakville
samguan wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 7:22 pm

Looks good. Thanks for the update.