Shopping Discussion

How reliable is DealExtreme?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2009 3:28 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 22, 2009
12 posts
carmaster wrote: Should I add the $0.01 drop shipment? What happens if the item is lost?
The drop shipping option just removes the DealExtreme branding from the packaging, it makes no difference to the actual shipping. If your order is $15 or more (?), they'll ship it registered mail which I find is a few days faster and has a tracking number. You can also upgrade to registered mail for $1.70 if your order is under the $15 threshold.

As for the OP, I've placed probably 100 orders with Dealextreme and they have all arrived with no major problems. Around Christmas last year, it took a MONTH (or more) before they shipped out the item, and good luck with finding any backordered item in stock ever again, but other than that if you're looking for affordable products and free shipping, DX is THE way to go.

Items that will "ship in 1 to 3 days" or "2 to 5 days" will realistically take longer than that, sometimes a few weeks before they ship. If you need something urgent, don't order it from DX - even selecting the EMS shipping won't do much as I heard around the DX forums a lot that EMS is held up in customs more often and it does nothing to improve the dreadfully slow internal processing time at DX before the item even reaches the post office.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2008
1262 posts
146 upvotes
DealExtreme is reliable if you don't need your item quick. It took 6 weeks for them to ship me a 2gb microsd because it kept going out of stock. They sent me Acekard in 2.5 weeks which is pretty good, but then I had to wait another 4 for the SD :S. However you can't beat the combined price of ~$22
Oct 14, 2006
276 posts
3 upvotes
I think the general consensus here is that Deal Extreme sells decently good products at a very good price; however, shipping takes a very long time.

I ordered and hdmi cable just over 3 weeks ago, and it has yet to come. I sent an inquiry to them over email, and the asked me to wait a little bit longer (no friggin help at all...)

I'd recommend that if you can get an item in the gta for a few dollars more, just go for it. I didn't really look around, but sigelectronics has an hdmi cable for 8.99, which is well worth it bc i'd get the item right away from the store.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
I put my first order in on Dec 1st. They shipped it either on Dec 7th or 10th (I got two shipping confirmation emails). Hopefully I"ll get it before Christmas.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2756 posts
867 upvotes
North York
It all depends on the availability of the items you are ordering. If it is popular and readily available you can expect the same turn around time as CheapScotsman.

If you are ordering a lot of items break it into smaller orders to maybe speed things up because shipping is free anyways. If not they will only wait a certain period of time before they send you whatever they have first and then send the rest in 2-3 shipments. Not sure how they are still making money like this but great customer service in my opinion.
Jul 20, 2005
322 posts
3 upvotes
I ordered 3 things on 10/26/2009. shipment date was 11/6/2009. 2 items arrived last week of Novmeber, the third item is out of stock, and will be shipped once there is supply. So pretty much 1 month if supply is in stock.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
rich10 wrote: I ordered 3 things on 10/26/2009. shipment date was 11/6/2009. 2 items arrived last week of Novmeber, the third item is out of stock, and will be shipped once there is supply. So pretty much 1 month if supply is in stock.
Same problem here. Ordered end of October and got most of my items. However, about 4 were OOS and I have yet to receive them. I received an email that the parcel was shipped end of November. Still satisfied with the great prices.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6691 posts
899 upvotes
Murica
I'm satisfied with their service. The stuff I order, all work, still work.
Nov 3, 2004
783 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Got all of my orders. But I never order anything > $10 at DX.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43261 upvotes
ONTARIO
A few years ago I bought the 1st gen ipod touch when it came out and didn't want to waste money on a "genuine" apple ipod touch ac adapter so I bought a $4 one from deal extreme and to this day i still use it all the time. works perfectly.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3000 posts
97 upvotes
Home
carmaster wrote: Are the items priced in US dollars?
Yes, their prices are in US dollars
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it was, and always will be yours. If it never returns, it was never yours to begin with :|

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)