Food & Drink

how reliable is Opentable?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2010 4:59 pm
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2585 posts

how reliable is Opentable?

Being a last minute kind of a guy, I didn't make any reservations for dinner this sunday till today.

Obviously, most of the good places were fully booked. I did manage to find a 7:45pm spot at Pangaea through Open Tables.

My question is, how reliable are they in keeping the reservations? Should I call the restaurant up just to be safe and confirm my reservations?

Anyone have experience with open tables? I don't want to show up on sunday, and they say I don't have a spot.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12848 posts
pick up the could have done that in less time than it took to write this post.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2276 posts
yeah, pick up the phone.

however, i can say that they usually treat opentable reservations with a lil bit more emphasis. since you can review, and leave feedback about that restaurant. so i doubt they'll mess your reservation up

i worked fine dining during university, and the managers always noted which reservations were opentable. they got extra attention.

there's also a competition among restaurants on opentable, and every week whoever is rated the highest wins
Mar 9, 2004
155 posts
It looks like OT is tied into the restaurants' reservation systems. I've made reservations on my iPhone while walking to the restaurant. They had it when I arrived 5 min later.

In that sense, it's probably more reliable than relying on a person over the phone to get your reservation details and enter them into their system correctly, while being distracted by loud music and irate customers.

Finally, you get a confirmation email, which you can use when you arrive if there's ever an issue. It's no guarantee if they've screwed up, but a lot more powerful than asking them to take your word for it that you have a reservation.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1227 posts
I've made reservations a few times on OT and they have yet to mess it up.
Aug 4, 2008
86 posts
When I called the restaurant to book our table for this weekend, I asked about Saturday, Sunday and Monday, the guy on the phone seemed as if he was just looking at the OT site because he was quoting me the same times listed on the website. After I booked our table that time slot disappeared. So it seems pretty reliable.
Mar 15, 2006
81 posts
1 upvote
I've used it twice without any problems.

It works great and it may be the future of the way we make restaurant reservations.
Dec 22, 2008
622 posts
I'd say it's fairly reliable as I've never had problems when booking with OT.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2585 posts
Just called Pangaea, and they have my reservation in place...everything is fine..
× < >