Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary

How to remove McAfee completely?

My McAfee is about to expire and I am going to replace it with KIS. As the last day's approaching McAfee begins to act very aggressively. When I start up my computer McAfee will stall everything until the screen successfully displays their renewal warning.

Another problem... not sure if it has something to do with McAfee or the problem with redirecting. When I click on a site that was indicated "safe", McAfee will pop up a big and red warning sign asking if I really want to go there. I back click then it goes to a redirected site i.e. Yellow Pages etc. Back all the way out to Google then click the same site again, second try is usually okay. One time, I actually got redirected twice - when I back from McAfee warning, I had to click the back button twice to get out of two different unrelated sites. I have been having re-directing problem for a while but I am getting used to it. It's the McAfee warning about Yellow Pages is what bothering me.

Back to the topic, I talked to a guy at Future Shop when I was picking up KIS. He told me that it was extremely difficult to remove McAfee completely. I want to install KIS before McAfee expires. Think I should ask the gurus here before I start so to save some unforeseen headache. Any tips and suggestions?
7 replies
Dec 1, 2010
169 posts
23 upvotes
I removed McAfee from windows xp by going to add/remove programs in control panel? Are you able to try this?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
Oh that sounds a lot easier than I expected. The guy said something about McAfee was able to stay hidden and linger around even after uninstalled. If that's not true I will just do it safe mode after loading KIS. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
You're welcome.

If you intend to install Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 purchased from Future Shop,
Do not use the CD that came in the box, it is outdated.

Suggest that you download/install the most current version, Version 2012 (12.0.0.374a.b.c) from Kaspersky. <--- LINK
The Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 Activation Code on your CD envelope can be used.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
Wow thank you again! Never though something just bought in a store would be outdated! :-0 I will go to their site and use the activation code from the box to register tomorrow. Super!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
Warlock wrote: Reboot your system into Safe Mode, then remove via Add/Remove Programs.
or
Download and use the McAfee Cleanup Tool
+1

Before you install KIS, give MS Security Essentials a shot. If you really like it, take that package back to FS and get your money back. :lol:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)