Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON

How to remove taste from tvp?

Does anyone cook with tvp? I had my first exposure to tvp some time ago with a certain brand of ramen, it didn't really taste like meat but did a good job of adding texture and making the ramen feel like more than just noodles. Since then I've been looking for the raw product to add it to other types of ramen, macaroni etc.

Today i found ground tvp at bulk barn and tried preparing it, it has the exact same texture as ground beef when rehydrated, but the flavor...oh god it's nasty; it tasted like some kind of raw flour.

Next i tried adding beef boullion to the water when rehydrating but that pervading wheaty plant like flavor wont go away and ruins whatever you add the stuff to.

Does anyone know how to prepare the stuff properly without using real meat?
15 replies
Jan 8, 2009
937 posts
656 upvotes
Simcoe County
Definitely reconstitute it with some kind of stock but then you (ideally) need to fry it up like you would ground beef - use some oil and add some spices (salt and pepper at a minimum but I add in chili powder and cayenne and garlic and onion powder) - before adding it to your ramen and/or use it in things where there is lots of flavour to be absorbed i.e. chilis and stews, etc.

p.s. before frying it, drain it and actually squeeze the broth out of it as much as you can and then fry until actually browned
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ok that's interesting, I was wondering if it could be fried since every guide just suggests throwing it into recipes dry or just hydrated in boiling water.
Jan 8, 2009
937 posts
656 upvotes
Simcoe County
The guides are dumb. If you throw it in dry, you get soggy yuck. If you just hydrate it in boiling water (without really squeezing the moisture out after) you get water-logged yuck. Best way is to

1) fry it like I mentioned

2) rehydrate in broth, squeeze the heck out of it and then marinate in some sort of sauce - but you still need to cook it up or squeeze it out again after, depending on the end use

3) rehydrate in broth, squeeze the heck out of it and then use in chili or stew (where again, there's lots of flavour to be absorbed)
Sep 12, 2011
115 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
I cook with TVP all the time and find the taste really unappealing if not prepped properly.

1. Soak in hot water until soft.
2. Drain and squeeze out all the water.
3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 with cold water
4. Repeat steps 1 & 2 with cold/warm a flavourful liquid of your choice (bouillon, soy sauce, etc)
5. Pan fry with a little oil and make whatever you want with it.

Kind of labor intensive, so I make huge batches and portion it out into freezer bags like ground beef.
The main goal is to wash out all the funny soy taste.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON
There has to be some place to get pre-flavoured TVP, all that work kind of defeats the purpose.
Jan 8, 2009
937 posts
656 upvotes
Simcoe County
I agree - as far as lovejunkie's steps go, I'd just do 1, 2 and 5 but make 1 in broth. That's a lot quicker. And if you really can't handle even that amount of work - which is about what you'd have to do with ground beef - then grab a package of Yves ground round and fry that up and add it. Easy peasy.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So I followed: Boil in beef broth > drain and squeeze > fry with garlic, onions, lemon juice, lots of spices and then added some almost gone bad tomato puree for pasta sauce.

I have to say not bad for being poorly prepared, almost tastes like the real thing with the flavor dialed down a bit maybe. Next time I'll add some toasted sesame seeds.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I'm more confused as to why you're not just using meat if the replacement is hideous.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Mainly because it's convenient, I can use as little or as much as I want and leave the rest in a cupboard for up to a year. And also because it's extremely cheap, it costs like $2 per pound which becomes 2 to 3 pounds when hydrated.
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
...isolated soy protein, aka TVP --- bleeeccch!!!

Have you ever researched what you`re actually eating when you ingest this stuff :confused:

Cheap is not always good...hebs
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
What good is convenience and price if you can't actually eat it?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Did you not read my post just above where it says that it actually does taste ok once prepared properly?

Also I think if you eat take out or fast food you should not really be complaining about soy protein.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: I'm more confused as to why you're not just using meat if the replacement is hideous.
I'm at loss as to why nobody has said "Textured Vegetable Protein" but keep saying tvp.

There is also soya chunks/nuggets. There is caramelized version.

Also St Ives products are not too bad. Already reconstituted.

I stopped eating soya anything after my buddy told me of his buddy and his kids.

For religious reasons they don't eat meat and eat soya products as protein source.

All kids were born with skin conditions and brain tumors etc.

Doctors come out and confirm definitively what caused it, but one suspect was the soya products.

Most of which are GMO no doubt.
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
nabiul wrote: Did you not read my post just above where it says that it actually does taste ok once prepared properly?

Also I think if you eat take out or fast food you should not really be complaining about soy protein.

...who said anything about eating take out or fast food -- neither of which I would ever eat anyways

Seriously, do yourself a favor and research the potential health risks of eating soy and or TVP -- especially if you are a male...hebs
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
nabiul wrote: Did you not read my post just above where it says that it actually does taste ok once prepared properly?
That's more work than just making real food.
I rarely eat out. Fast food on occasion when I have exactly 1 minute to eat, but for the most part I produce all my own food because of the junk that's out there.

That includes TVP because for some reason they use it as a filler in some real food. But that's easy to avoid if you quit buying the cheapest stuff possible.