• Oct 15th, 2017 2:10 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2011
1676 posts
1475 upvotes
Toronto
Firebot wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 11:41 am
As you are already renting, if the landlord sells the house, you are still on the lease and it is transferred. If the new buyer decided to move in, they must provide you with a month of rent. You can also stay perpetually at the current lease as the subsidised rate. A late payment does not cause you to be evicted, Heck you can choose not pay for 6 months and drag the process along.

You have a good thing going and you are protected with more power than your landlord as long as you stick to where you are, milk it for as long as you can. Take the opportunity to save as much as you can and plan ahead.

My initial comment is in jest and I know full well how backwards the measures are and their impacts to rent, but as long as you are a current tenant and stay where you are, you have little to worry about.
This is false. Evictions for sale under section 49 are not subject to compensation.

Even if it was what good is 1 month rent when you need to pay a much higher market rent from then on. If it's up 30% you'd lose the compensation in 3.3 months.

http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/documents/ltb ... 20Use.html

Compensation
For notices under section 48 given to a tenant on or after September 1, 2017, the landlord must compensate the tenant in an amount equal to one month's rent or offer another rental unit acceptable to the tenant.

Agreement of purchase and sale
Before a landlord may give a notice under section 49, there must be an agreement of purchase and sale for the residential complex or condominium unit.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3818 posts
1086 upvotes
Calgary
mrtrump wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 11:49 am
You are giving people bad advise by suggesting "a late payment does not cause you to be evicted". Yes it can cause an eviction in Ontario although it may take some time.

And multiple late payments is another reason to be evicted as well.

Also the tenant can forget about getting a good reference from the landlord if tenant ever decides to rent elsewhere.
Yes you are right. I was meaning that a late payment in itself does not cause you to be evicted which is OP's fear. As soon as rent is paid any attempts to evict are void, as long as the tenant does not ignore warnings.

http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/documents/ltb ... 6_2017.pdf

What I was pointing out is it's not draconian where you get evicted because you forgot to pay rent that month. There are always ways to make sure this doesn't happen, such as automated email transfers, post dated cheques, etc.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3818 posts
1086 upvotes
Calgary
rjg4235 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 11:50 am
This is false. Evictions for sale under section 49 are not subject to compensation.

Even if it was what good is 1 month rent when you need to pay a much higher market rent from then on. If it's up 30% you'd lose the compensation in 3.3 months.

Compensation
For notices under section 48 given to a tenant on or after September 1, 2017, the landlord must compensate the tenant in an amount equal to one month's rent or offer another rental unit acceptable to the tenant.

Before a landlord may give a notice under section 49, there must be an agreement of purchase and sale for the residential complex or condominium unit.
Alright, thought the compensation applied to all circumstances of someone moving in.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2011
1676 posts
1475 upvotes
Toronto
Firebot wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 12:29 pm
Alright, thought the compensation applied to all circumstances of someone moving in.
It only applies to personal use by landlord, there are about a dozen other ones that it doesn't apply to. In my opinion they aren't doing it so much to compensate someone from moving but more to stop landlords from lying and saying they want to move in just to evict someone.
Sep 7, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
Landlords are very picky now and require prefilled application, credit check just to show condos downtown !
Jun 2, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
rjg4235 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 11:50 am

Compensation

2 scenarios: How does this rule apply:
1. What if the tenant is not on a lease and is now 'month to month'.
2. What if a lease is coming to an end. The tenant decides to not renew lease and move-out. (I assume this is not an 'eviction' per say so no payment/notice needed).
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2011
1676 posts
1475 upvotes
Toronto
CEOofPopeyes wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 12:28 pm
2 scenarios: How does this rule apply:
1. What if the tenant is not on a lease and is now 'month to month'.
2. What if a lease is coming to an end. The tenant decides to not renew lease and move-out. (I assume this is not an 'eviction' per say so no payment/notice needed).
You mean regarding eviction for sale? There would never be compensation for this type. The lease has to be done before eviction can take place. If a tenant is not on lease they only get 60 days notice. If you decide to move out you would never get compensation.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3623 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
Firebot wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 12:29 pm
That's fine. House is.not.going to sell with tenant there under this kind of market conditions.
Jun 2, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
rjg4235 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 1:52 pm
You mean regarding eviction for sale? There would never be compensation for this type. The lease has to be done before eviction can take place. If a tenant is not on lease they only get 60 days notice. If you decide to move out you would never get compensation.
Thanks for the insight.

Regarding eviction for sale, does that mean if I want to evict a tenant (off-lease, month-to-month and with the 60 days notice) as I want to renovate and put the property on sale (without them in it) that I don't have to pay the 1 month rent to them.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2011
1676 posts
1475 upvotes
Toronto
Ceryx wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 2:20 pm
That's fine. House is.not.going to sell with tenant there under this kind of market conditions.
Thousands are selling a month, how can you say they won't sell? Why would anyone care if there is a tenant? Under section 49 they would be evicted for sale with no compensation and only 60 days notice. Landowners don't even need permission to do showings, they only have to give 24 hours notice.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3623 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
rjg4235 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 2:54 pm
Thousands are selling a month, how can you say they won't sell? Why would anyone care if there is a tenant? Under section 49 they would be evicted for sale with no compensation and only 60 days notice. Landowners don't even need permission to do showings, they only have to give 24 hours notice.
You can't evict the tenant unless the transaction is made.

So this means that the buyer need to buy when tenant is there without much renovation, which is unlikely now.

The law was created because people are trying to evict tenant by increase rent so they can sell the place. If they can sell as is, there won't be rent control in the first place.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2011
1676 posts
1475 upvotes
Toronto
Ceryx wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 5:20 pm
You can't evict the tenant unless the transaction is made.

So this means that the buyer need to buy when tenant is there without much renovation, which is unlikely now.

The law was created because people are trying to evict tenant by increase rent so they can sell the place. If they can sell as is, there won't be rent control in the first place.
You're free to believe whatever you want but I guarantee you if I posted either of my rental properties in Toronto they would sell in a week. One has 40 floors and there are no 1 bedrooms for sale, and only 2 luxury penhouses for over $1.5m for sale. The other is a townhouse complex of over 200 units with 0 for sale. The last one posted 2 months ago sold in 1 day. There are tons of areas in Toronto that are still selling in a matter of days. To think nothing can sell because the market is slow is absurd.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3623 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
rjg4235 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 6:26 pm
You're free to believe whatever you want but I guarantee you if I posted either of my rental properties in Toronto they would sell in a week. One has 40 floors and there are no 1 bedrooms for sale, and only 2 luxury penhouses for over $1.5m for sale. The other is a townhouse complex of over 200 units with 0 for sale. The last one posted 2 months ago sold in 1 day. There are tons of areas in Toronto that are still selling in a matter of days. To think nothing can sell because the market is slow is absurd.
Yes believe in whatever you want. With rate continues to trend, demand will continue to deteriorate and good luck finding buyer when the other listing are empty without tenants.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3623 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
CEOofPopeyes wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 2:53 pm
Thanks for the insight.

Regarding eviction for sale, does that mean if I want to evict a tenant (off-lease, month-to-month and with the 60 days notice) as I want to renovate and put the property on sale (without them in it) that I don't have to pay the 1 month rent to them.
You will have To pay one month unless you can find a buyer while tenant is still in there.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)