Off Topic Archive

Locked: How to replace a double ended halogen bulb?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2007 4:45 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2003
1170 posts
27 upvotes

How to replace a double ended halogen bulb?

Hey RFD,

This might sound like a stupid question, but I've been trying to figure out how to replace a double ended halogen bulb. It's for my dining room light. It would be easier if the plate covering the bulb would come off, but only one of the screws can come out, so essentially, I have to "swing" the plate around to expose the bulb. So I have to use one hand to support the plate, and another hand to try to take out the bulb. But I've never replaced a bulb like this before. Does anyone know how to take it out and put a new one in?

The bulb I'm talking about is pictured below (the big one in the middle):

Thanks!!
The engine is the plane's heart, but the pilot is it's soul
Share:
7 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34712 posts
1573 upvotes
Toronto
dont you just twist it and pull it out?
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2003
1170 posts
27 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 12th, 2007 12:27 am
dont you just twist it and pull it out?
I don't think there is any twisting required. I tried to see if I could twist it on the longitudinal axis to maybe align it with a slot (if there was one), but no luck.

I don't want to use any force on the light bulb either b/c if it was pressurized and I broke it, I don't want glass pieces to be flying around my face.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34712 posts
1573 upvotes
Toronto
snplow wrote:
Aug 12th, 2007 12:35 am
I don't think there is any twisting required. I tried to see if I could twist it on the longitudinal axis to maybe align it with a slot (if there was one), but no luck.

I don't want to use any force on the light bulb either b/c if it was pressurized and I broke it, I don't want glass pieces to be flying around my face.
i saw my bro change it before... i saw some metal plates move. Then he just twisted it, and it popped out.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Nov 28, 2005
459 posts
1 upvote
IIRC, those sorts of bulbs are "spring-loaded". You'll need to hold the bulb, and push it to one side gently, then remove it. Make sure you use paper towel or a tissue, BOTH for taking out and putting in the new bulb.

The paper towel also serves the purpose of making sure you don't leave any oil, etc on the bulb. The bulb gets very hot, and if there's much gunk on it, it could shatter the bulb.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2005
5625 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
"How many RFD-ers does it take to change a light bulb?"

Hehe, yes, as hooch mentioned, you push the bulb to one side and the contact on that end will compress. Then, pull the bulb out, and put the new one in via the same method. Make sure you dont touch the bulb with your fingers when installing, the oil isn't good for halogen lights. (Not a big deal when removing the bulb)

As for the glass shield you've got, be careful. It is the UV protector, so if it breaks, the bulb will dump UV rays out into the room.
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) it took me 45 minutes to make this signature :(
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
1308 posts
23 upvotes
Maple
Third confirmation that its spring loaded. I just replaced the exact same one only a few days ago.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2003
1170 posts
27 upvotes
Sweet, thanks! I just replaced mine today as well! (After 10 months of it being burnt out, I kinda got tired eating in the dark - it was the dining room light).
× < >