Green / Eco-Friendly

How to replace using saran/glad plastic wrap?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2019 8:47 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12594 posts
1960 upvotes
City of Vancouver

How to replace using saran/glad plastic wrap?

Do the following need to be air tight, or ....

...can I use wax paper to wrap opened blocks of cheese?

...can I use a lid, like a Pringles lid, to put on top of an opened can of coconut milk?
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15958 posts
6139 upvotes
For cans you can buy reusable silicon lids. We have some similar to these (they were a gift so no idea where they got them, but as usual Amazon has them):
https://www.amazon.ca/ORBLUE-Silicone-S ... B017STB5T0
They work fine - we just don't get much of a chance to use them since most containers come with lids.

Yes you can use wax paper to wrap cheese. Some say that wrapping cheese in saran wrap will, for certain cheeses, have the cheese take on the plastic flavour and wax paper is actually recommended. You can wrap the cheese in wax paper and then store in a container.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12594 posts
1960 upvotes
City of Vancouver
^ Wow, thanks for letting me know about the strech silicone!! I have never heard of this before!!!

Coincidentally, on the topic of plastic, CBC Marketplace did an episode a few days ago about excess supermarket plastic. I'm so glad I'm not the only one bothered by this: https://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes ... -challenge
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
Becks wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:03 pm
Do the following need to be air tight, or ....

...can I use wax paper to wrap opened blocks of cheese?

...can I use a lid, like a Pringles lid, to put on top of an opened can of coconut milk?
Buy a set of Anchor Glass Food Storage Set, 24-pc ... or SnapLock Food Storage Container Set, 18-pc
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Jan 22, 2019
1 posts
2 upvotes
Get beeswax wraps! They’re amazing. I got mine at the local health food store, I think they’re probably on Amazon as well. Abeego is the company I know of, but I’m sure there’s more. You can also make them with beeswax and a couple other things, I’m not that into DIY though.
Also I’ve used pot lids on top of bowls/plates to cover. Those Anchor Hocking bowls with lids that are on sale every other week at Canadian tire are great and I just saw replacement lids for sale at Canadian Tire which is awesome for when you lose/tear them.
I did get some silicone stretchy lids mail order from China and they’re junk, don’t adhere to glass as soon as there’s a tiny bit of condensation on them, they work when I first put them on, but to go back into the container and resecure the silicone is impossible with the junky ones I got. Not sure if a different manufacturer would be better. The ones I have do work when dry.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3302 posts
1029 upvotes
Ottawa
+1 on the beeswax wraps. I also use the various sizes of silicone lids for items going in the fridge or staying on the counter that I don't want fruit flies in (in summer).