How to report more than 12 months from T2202A

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 6:43 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8518 posts
6261 upvotes

How to report more than 12 months from T2202A

My daughter T2202A has 4 months part time (B) and 12 months full-time (C). However Turbotax won't let me put both in as it said maximum is 12 months combined. Do I enter the extra months on another form T2202A?
9 replies
Nov 20, 2016
175 posts
165 upvotes
That's strange. Did she go to different school? Did she do an equivalent of 16 months of schooling in one year?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2809 posts
3663 upvotes
mkl38s wrote: My daughter T2202A has 4 months part time (B) and 12 months full-time (C). However Turbotax won't let me put both in as it said maximum is 12 months combined. Do I enter the extra months on another form T2202A?
Educational institutions complete form T2202A and the taxpayer uses it to calculate education and tuition credit amounts. You cannot enter anything on "another form T2202A" because that isn't something you are entitled to do. The max you can have is 12 full-time months as a student in one year - once that is hit for the year, nothing more is possible to claim. As someone else asked - is there more than one educational institution involved here?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8518 posts
6261 upvotes
Just one school but integrated program. There were overlapped in the months of 5-8 where they gave her both 4 months of part time and full time. I guess because one didn't finish till June while the other started in May. We just report the 12 months full time then. Thanks everyone
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8518 posts
6261 upvotes
Here is the T2202A
2019-03-13 (4)_LI.jpg
There is no way we could claim the part time amount too? Weird that they would put more than 12 months in the form
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3537 posts
1279 upvotes
Ottawa
mkl38s wrote: Here is the T2202A

There is no way we could claim the part time amount too? Weird that they would put more than 12 months in the form
The university has completed the form incorrectly. A student is EITHER a full-time or a part-time student, as defined in Income Tax Folio S1-F2-C1 Qualifying Student and the Education and Textbook Tax Credits https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... edits.html

Once the determination has been made for a specific month, that is definitive. It is not possible to meet the requirement as a full-time student and, at the same time, a part-time student.
Jun 6, 2009
981 posts
607 upvotes
It doesn't even matter anymore.

There used to be a tax credit for studies and books based on the number of full-time or part-time months a student was enrolled for. That was abolished two years ago if my memory is correct, but CRA is still requesting that information on the report for some reason. It changes nothing to the bottom line.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8518 posts
6261 upvotes
^ you are right. Although the full-time status did help TurboTax to remove all taxes on couple of T4a's.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3537 posts
1279 upvotes
Ottawa
epiphano wrote: It doesn't even matter anymore.

There used to be a tax credit for studies and books based on the number of full-time or part-time months a student was enrolled for. That was abolished two years ago if my memory is correct, but CRA is still requesting that information on the report for some reason. It changes nothing to the bottom line.
You're right, although the CRA still asks for the # of part-time and full-time months. The Schedule 11 prefaces that request with "We need the following information to administer federal programs, such as the working income tax benefit, scholarship exemption, life long learning plan, and various provincial and territorial programs."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)