Personal Finance

How safe is it to accept Interac Email Money Transfer as payment for Auctions?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2007 6:11 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 18, 2005
439 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto

How safe is it to accept Interac Email Money Transfer as payment for Auctions?

Does anyone have experience with this method of payment when selling an item on eBay? I have never used it, so I'm wondering if there is a way to protect myself from someone using another person's account and paying me with it, and then I get scammed out of the money once the person finds out. Basically, I'd like to know if there are a lot of phishing scams that can enable someone to use the EMT to pay for something.
8 replies
Dec 10, 2006
426 posts
19 upvotes
Extremely safe.

The only potential problem is phishing, so just be sure to have a look at the security features of the site.
Feb 28, 2007
119 posts
Ottawa
i've used that method both to pay and to recieve payment. Very safe and fast. Definetely will recommend it.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2005
439 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
What I'm afraid of is Phishing; at least paypal offers some sort of insurance.
This way I guess I would not be protected at all?
Jul 6, 2006
259 posts
EMT in my opinion has the least risk on the seller side. Paypal is safest on the buyer's side (you usually hear stories of sellers getting their payments reversed simply because the buyer filed a dispute/claim).
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2004
3952 posts
17 upvotes
Safest. In fact, if you decide to scam the buyer... ... ...
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1063 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
arnyk wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2007 6:08 pm
EMT in my opinion has the least risk on the seller side. Paypal is safest on the buyer's side (you usually hear stories of sellers getting their payments reversed simply because the buyer filed a dispute/claim).
When using paypal and sending funds to someones email that they use for paypal...what info do they get of you.. your email?...full name?..address?...Im a first time user and was wondering this...
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2002
3812 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
EMT is safest for the seller.. . no question. The only way they would get it back is some kind of lawsuit or court order.
× < >