• Jan 9th, 2006 2:16 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Sep 5, 2005
1052 posts
7 upvotes

How safe is Hong Kong???

? supposedly when Bruce Lee was growing up in HK, there was a lot of street violence and such.

Now i hear Honk Kong became one of the 3 safest places in the world?!
what happened in the past 50-60 years??

If HOng Kong was really bad back in the 50's and 60's... how did it become a "safer" place today? and if they can do it, how come so many other cities in the world have remained bad or got worst over the last couple of decades?????

????
118 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2003
1735 posts
254 upvotes
Winnipeg
Well..what part dd he grow up in? All cities have some bad spots...but Bruce Lee got beat up by a street gang when he was like 13..so he changed fighting styles an trained harder...
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
You watched too many movies.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
1143 posts
1 upvote
firstly, organized crime and petty crime exists in all countries and neighbourhoods. secondly, HK is very different from our concept of a "state" because it isn't one. for a century it enjoyed special territory status in the international community.

to understand why 50's HK is so different from today you have to review your world history. aside from the chinese revolution and the subsequent nationalist exodus, you have competing ideology and nations regrouping around the HK/guangdong border, taiwan straight & japan. this discussion is long and complex but to answer your question directly: the same bosses running the mj parlours and loan sharking are still there, they still skim off the illegal kiosks in the tourist zones and still run nude massage and american liquor. why isn't there "obvious violence?" it's not good for business. with its economy just recovering from the real estate speculation during the 90's and the recent SARS scare, officials and business communities have revamped their image. why are tourists locations in south america, eastern europe, gulf nations so safe when the rest of the country is in turmoil? because they want your hard currency. HK wants your $$$
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
7 upvotes
HK seemed pretty safe to me! when I visited there. Safe and clean.

Just stay out of the rougher parts, as with most big cities, this is common sense.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
67 upvotes
just be careful whenever you're wearing a short skirt and you're standing still or going up an escalator.
Back for a limited engagement.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
7 upvotes
15-20_God wrote:just be careful whenever you're wearing a short skirt and you're standing still or going up an escalator.
i won't have any problems with that. I just use my infra red camera that sees through clothes instead.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
Truth wrote:? supposedly when Bruce Lee was growing up in HK, there was a lot of street violence and such.

Now i hear Honk Kong became one of the 3 safest places in the world?!
what happened in the past 50-60 years??

If HOng Kong was really bad back in the 50's and 60's... how did it become a "safer" place today? and if they can do it, how come so many other cities in the world have remained bad or got worst over the last couple of decades?????

????
1. People are richer, better educated and better jobs, now
2. ICAC

When people in HK was poor, life was tough, they rob, they steal and whatever to meet day's life. That is poor robbed poor. Many people carried a knife and robbed people. Police was corrupted. Gang and cops were more or less the same.

Since 80, people were much richer. Bad guys had more 'class'. Robbing a normal Joe became low class. Not worth their effort anymore. They looked for big money instead of pennies. They wants millions instead of thousands (hk$). So, they robbed banks, Jewelry stores, sold drugs, gambling, etc. Usually, this kind of crime does not affect normal Joe.

ICAC got rid of corruption and police became much cleaner to fight against crime.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2005
1669 posts
21 upvotes
Milton
Over there you steal a loaf of bread, you get your fingers cut off....You learn the hard way that crime doesn't pay.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
coopaloop wrote:Over there you steal a loaf of bread, you get your fingers cut off....You learn the hard way that crime doesn't pay.
Over where? I don't think you are talking about Hong Kong.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2005
1669 posts
21 upvotes
Milton
Sorry.. It was another oriental country I was thinking of mabee Thailand or Bankok
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
67 upvotes
coopaloop wrote:Sorry.. It was another oriental country I was thinking of mabee Thailand or Bankok
the PC way to say it now is 'asian', otherwise you get your tongue cut off.
Back for a limited engagement.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2005
1669 posts
21 upvotes
Milton
Opps...My girlfriend wouldn't like that too much...
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1893 posts
11 upvotes
HK is actually very safe. I just got back from there 3 weeks ago and Im still facing post-HK depression.

Their subway (MTR) is very impressive. Makes me so sad when Im riding the TTC every morning to downtown Toronto. I mean everything is automated, the map lights up telling you which stop to go to, there are screen doors on every platform so you cant get pushed down. And your not allowed to eat or drink (not even water) anywhere in the paid areas of stations. And it's fast too, i cant stand TO subway drivers driving soooo slow.

HK will give you a great experience. Shopping, drinking, eating. You're so happy when shopping in HK (hence the name "shopper's haven"). Not like in Canada where you just get so depressed cuz u couldnt buy anything at any one of the malls here.
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18714 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
me! wrote:HK seemed pretty safe to me! when I visited there. Safe and clean.

Just stay out of the rougher parts, as with most big cities, this is common sense.

Dirty.
For Sale:

HEATWARE
Sep 1, 2005
418 posts
57 upvotes
HK safer than TO.

All the women looks like Kelly Chen.
All the men drives Porche's and Ferrari's.

:D
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
28 upvotes
Pollution can be a problem for those with respiratory illnesses.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
2699 posts
129 upvotes
me! wrote:HK seemed pretty safe to me! when I visited there. Safe and clean.
actually the air is pretty bad...
but HK is definitely safe...
i can assure you that you won't see homicide shooting in the news every week.., or months..
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
7 upvotes
cheukiecfu wrote:actually the air is pretty bad...
but HK is definitely safe...
i can assure you that you won't see homicide shooting in the news every week.., or months..
i was refering to the condition of the streets as opposed to some other asian cities.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
1120 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Advantage22 wrote:HK safer than TO.

All the women looks like Kelly Chen.
All the men drives Porche's and Ferrari's.

:D
I must have missed this part... :twisted: