Shopping Discussion

How safe is it to take e-transfer as a method of payment when selling on Craigslist/Kijiji?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2018 8:23 pm
[OP]
Oct 12, 2012
504 posts
462 upvotes

How safe is it to take e-transfer as a method of payment when selling on Craigslist/Kijiji?

Been selling some stuff on Craigslist lately and some people have been offering to pay in etransfer instead of cash, but I always opt for cash. Is etransfer that safe? It would be more convenient but I'm just afraid I would get scammed.
30 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15546 posts
3371 upvotes
Toronto
Cash is safer. I am sure they can pull some sort of scam via e-transfer.
Feb 17, 2017
701 posts
417 upvotes
Calgary
You should only accept e-transfers from people you know. For all you know it's a hacked account that's paying you (and these funds will be taken back).
[OP]
Oct 12, 2012
504 posts
462 upvotes
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 7:54 pm
You should only accept e-transfers from people you know. For all you know it's a hacked account that's paying you (and these funds will be taken back).
Thanks, I was reading somewhere that etransfers are final once accepted, but I figured that's not the case.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3379 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
The only thing that’s final once it’s accepted is cash.

Although I suppose counterfeit bills are a risk.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16459 posts
1451 upvotes
Space for rent
CanadianSpruce wrote:
IMO, banks should do more to protect these transactions. If the person sending the transfer does not have sufficient funds, can they still send funds but incur an overdraft fine, for instance? I understand in the event that an account is fraudulently seized and used, the transfer can be annulled and you're out of the goods/services you've exchanged.

I am curious about sending funds to someone else, does the other party have access to anything of your personal information that they can use to syphon more than the amount sent? Like fabricate another transaction without your knowledge. I've mainly used it to send and not receive so I don't know what information is being sent to the recipient.
Feb 17, 2017
701 posts
417 upvotes
Calgary
mrweather wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 8:33 pm
The only thing that’s final once it’s accepted is cash.

Although I suppose counterfeit bills are a risk.
Indeed, in Canada there really isn't any sure fire way. Even a bank draft can be fake. In most of Europe a bank transfer is essentially final (the funds can only be taken back if it's proved the person receiving the funds knew they were fraudulent)
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17859 posts
2560 upvotes
GTA West
Don't take e-transfer. You can get some clever scams like this one:
Cjohnson202 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 10:51 am
I got scammed on RFD with a scam like this, so I can only imagine it's possible on kijiji.

Sold a gift card on RFD. It was like a $100 Futureshop giftcard that I sold for $90. They paypal me the money, I sent once I got the money. Seemed legit

A week or two later, I get an email from the email address that sent me the money saying they hadn't received the cell phone yet they sent the money for. I was confused, and the email address then filed a paypal claim against me.

Basically what happened is...

SCAMMER told CELL PHONE GUY that he would sell him a phone for $90. CELL PHONE GUY agreed.

SCAMMER buys gift card from ME.

SCAMMER gives CELL PHONE GUY my email address for the paypal transaction for the phone. CELL PHONE GUY pays me $90, with me thinking the money was from SCAMMER.

In the end

I get $90

SCAMMER gets a $100 gift card

CELL PHONE GUY gets nothing.

In the end, paypal told me they don't cover selling gift cards, so the dispute was closed and I was allowed to keep my $90. Whether CELL PHONE GUY ever got his/her money back, I have no idea.

But that's the day I learned my lesson and I now will never sell a gift card online anymore, and if I do, it's only through Ebay and only to people with a feedback of 25 or higher.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
1615 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Unless you can give an example of a proven case, the bold statement above is false.

You should send money using Interac e-Transfer only to people you know and trust, the same way you would with cash. An Interac e-Transfer transaction cannot be reversed once a recipient has deposited the funds.
source: https://interac.ca/en/interac-etransfer-security.html
Feb 17, 2017
701 posts
417 upvotes
Calgary
albundy99999999 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 11:01 pm
Unless you can give an example of a proven case, the bold statement above is false.

You should send money using Interac e-Transfer only to people you know and trust, the same way you would with cash. An Interac e-Transfer transaction cannot be reversed once a recipient has deposited the funds.
source: https://interac.ca/en/interac-etransfer-security.html
You don't need to look into it much to figure out that's not the case. Just google it.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
4955 posts
2554 upvotes
Imagine someone paying by an e-transfer, but making the e-transfer by logging into the bank account at a public wi-fi spot or through a VPN. Then the scammer can call customer support and say his PC was hacked and this is proof. Most probably the bank will take his side and seek reimbursement from the account they sent the money to.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2328 posts
1264 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
cursayer wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 7:52 pm
Been selling some stuff on Craigslist lately and some people have been offering to pay in etransfer instead of cash, but I always opt for cash. Is etransfer that safe? It would be more convenient but I'm just afraid I would get scammed.
I wouldn't. Cash is better and foolproof once you verify the correct amount and that it's not counterfeit.

Just make sure you get the money before you load the item into the vehicle or hand it to them, otherwise they can just take off and leave you with nothing anyway.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1271 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
I use e transfer often... if they or I are sending it from a bank account they cannot get a refund it’s not like PayPal where you can file a dispute ....once that money is sent it’s gone and just as good as cash. I really get annoyed when people don’t want to take e transfer it’s very secure and saves me the hassle of having to stop at a bank machine on the way to pick something up.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4688 posts
1133 upvotes
Alberta
I've done about 200 transactions on CGN all with Interac E Transfers and zero problems. It's the only way I buy and sell anything on private/one on one deals.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
9038 posts
3163 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If anyone is concerned about being scammed while using Craigslist or Kijiji, then conduct the transaction at your local police station. Some police stations have actually set up areas for these types of transactions where everything is taped using high resolution cameras so if the transaction does go sideways, you can go back to the recording to get an accurate description of the parties involved.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)