How to Save $14.95 on DHL fees by self-clearing packages

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2024 5:15 pm
Feb 14, 2013
29 posts
111 upvotes
saskatoon
Hugh Jass wrote: Fixed
I just received a package from China via ePacket. It came 8 days after purchase.

I just received a package from China via Canada Post, it came just under 9 weeks after purchase.

So what is the difference? Both went thru customs, but one comes at a snail's pace. Reason: ePacket doesnt have a higher priced tier. Canada Post makes sure they punish you for using the low price option. I cant imagine why the CBSA would be to blame.

EDIT: note that both small packages had free shipping and the value was under $10USD.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5099 posts
4404 upvotes
Toronto, ON
death_hawk wrote: DHL doesn't post their price list online, but here's UPS version:
https://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipp ... VAN7000411

Same basic idea.

That's why I self clear when it's high value or there's multiple line items.
If you consolidate a shipment with 30 things in it, you're paying for each line (at $5 freakin' dollars per line after 5)
UPS rates seem pretty reasonable to me up to $40. Can't seem to figure out the Free+ deal though.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
2087 posts
2433 upvotes
Ottawa
realBIGmike1 wrote: I just received a package from China via ePacket. It came 8 days after purchase.

I just received a package from China via Canada Post, it came just under 9 weeks after purchase.

So what is the difference? Both went thru customs, but one comes at a snail's pace. Reason: ePacket doesnt have a higher priced tier. Canada Post makes sure they punish you for using the low price option. I cant imagine why the CBSA would be to blame.

EDIT: note that both small packages had free shipping and the value was under $10USD.
This is true. CBSA doesn't care about ePacket vs standard shipping. It all gets cleared through together.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
realBIGmike1 wrote: The fees are tiered and you will find this with other carriers as well. $14.95 is the lowest DHL charges. In my example, to collect $4 they charge an additional fee of $14.95. If it was a larger amount, the fee would also be larger.
Pretty sure DHL is flat rate. I've had a package declared at 3-4-500$ and it was still 14.95 + 4$
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
EPcjay wrote: Pretty sure DHL is flat rate. I've had a package declared at 3-4-500$ and it was still 14.95 + 4$
One item or twelve?
Also I think there's a split between low level and high level.
Below $1200/1600/whatever it's $X. Above it's a percentage.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Jan 2, 2011
533 posts
398 upvotes
Thank you OP!!!

I ordered a $16usd item from china with free shipping and they wanted $23.57 in fees!!

I called them and the lies began. First was I have to pay it. Next was I cant self clear because it is already in Canada. I then demanded to speak to a supervisor. The same person got back to me 1min later without passing me the supervisor saying she would send an email on how to self clear.

I drove 15mins to CBSA in Mississauga... and they charged me nothing to clear item.

So dont let DHL rob you.... i saved the entire fee.

What a bunch of dishonest fees they charge wow.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
8187 posts
9554 upvotes
Vancouver
I ordered some items from Target.com through borderfree. The total was $495.56. To prepay they wanted over $160 for Taxes, duties and fees. I decided to pay on receipt and paid nothing in advance. Expecting a huge charge from DHL, I was going to self clear.. but .. I got a voice mail from DHL this morning indicating the amount owed was $69.90. Considering the taxes would be $59.46, not really worth my while to do self clear. DHL allows you to prepay online - http://www.dhl.ca/mydelivery - which is quite convenient.

Ron.
100% Upvote to post ratio! :)
Dec 25, 2003
642 posts
768 upvotes
Saskatoon
newfbc, that is an unbelievable tale. $500 of goods with only a $10 fee after the taxes?

Was there not any duty owed either? Their computers must have been hacked.
If you read this more than once, sorry for that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
8187 posts
9554 upvotes
Vancouver
realBIGmike wrote: newfbc, that is an unbelievable tale. $500 of goods with only a $10 fee after the taxes?

Was there not any duty owed either? Their computers must have been hacked.
I ordered 2x Amazon Echo Show
https://intl.target.com/p/amazon-echo-s ... nk=sametab

Breakdown was:

Taxes: 54.41
DHL Processing Fee: $10.50 (+ 0.53 gst)
DHL Transaction Fee: $4.25 (+ 0.21 gst)

If I do this again, I might just self clear as the CBSA office is almost next door to DHL pickup at YVR.

Even though Borderfree calculated and charged the order in CDN, the DHL bill converted from the original USD price - $359.98 to $453.39 which is what I paid taxes on.

Ron.
100% Upvote to post ratio! :)
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8093 upvotes
Donald Trump wants to make everything under $800USD tax exempt in Canada. It would be the best thing that ever happened to Canadian consumers, and the worst thing that ever happened to Canadian retailers. We will see what happens. This looks like it could pan out nicely for us as consumers, particularly if the government does something like lower sales tax here in Canada to dissuade people from importing stuff from the USA. Effectively if this goes through it would largely eliminate all these "brokerage fees" and would really facilitate buying stuff from the US.
Feb 1, 2013
5 posts
Brampton
Anyone know where the CBSA office is for Toronto? Or close by? I just got emailed that I owe fees of $18 on a $15 package from DHL ffs.
Sep 5, 2005
282 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
What if I don't pay the DHL fees what happens?

Do they just return item back to seller?
-Ashraf
Dec 25, 2003
642 posts
768 upvotes
Saskatoon
Either DHL will make the seller pay a lot of money to get the package back, or DHL will keep the package. Either way they win, unless you go do self-clearance at the customs office.
If you read this more than once, sorry for that.
May 12, 2008
2 posts
Came across this thread while reading up on self-clearing procedures. Looks like UPS has increased their brokerage fees. IIRC they used to be around $40?

Just got an invoice for a package I have coming from the US worth $300USD. Taxes are only $17.47, and the brokerage fees were $61.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
Do you have to have a account registered with DHL or UPS to have them email the invoice before delivery? I have gotten numerous DHL parcels this year, and never knew the charges before hand. Is the Ottawa location in the air port or outside with free parking?
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
CarsonKT wrote: actually they have this pdf version for 2017
http://international.dhl.ca/content/dam ... _ca_en.pdf

I just found it yesterday.

I once self cleared it with ups, and I don't think I will do it again
nice find!

Really nice professional informative & comprehensive pamphlet.

That must be where they spent the majority of their revenue from their 'brokerage' stream.
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Apr 13, 2010
659 posts
424 upvotes
Napanee, ON
greg123 wrote: Do you have to have a account registered with DHL or UPS to have them email the invoice before delivery? I have gotten numerous DHL parcels this year, and never knew the charges before hand.
It's in that PDF file quoted above. Page 13. You pay tax (GST or HST). Then DHL takes their processing fee ("10.5 CAD or 2.5% of the duties and taxes, if higher"), and a transaction fee ($4.25).

The $61 that fmanning quoted seems odd. But I wonder if one of the surcharges described on page 13 applied.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Sep 26, 2016
327 posts
347 upvotes
Ordered a used video game from the US, seller shipped by DHL Global mail packet plus.

It cost C $18.67, shipping included. Will there by any fees?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
poroporo1 wrote: Ordered a used video game from the US, seller shipped by DHL Global mail packet plus.

It cost C $18.67, shipping included. Will there by any fees?
its below $20 cad so there is no customs fees due on that. also dhl global mail transfers to canada post once it gets to canada so it goes though standard customs clearance so even if it were above $20 it would probly slide though.