Shopping Discussion

How to Save $14.95 on DHL fees by self-clearing packages

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 10:11 am
Feb 1, 2013
3 posts
Brampton
Anyone know where the CBSA office is for Toronto? Or close by? I just got emailed that I owe fees of $18 on a $15 package from DHL ffs.
Sep 5, 2005
229 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
What if I don't pay the DHL fees what happens?

Do they just return item back to seller?
-Ashraf Nana, P.ENG
Dec 25, 2003
300 posts
84 upvotes
Saskatoon
Either DHL will make the seller pay a lot of money to get the package back, or DHL will keep the package. Either way they win, unless you go do self-clearance at the customs office.
May 12, 2008
2 posts
Calgary, AB
Came across this thread while reading up on self-clearing procedures. Looks like UPS has increased their brokerage fees. IIRC they used to be around $40?

Just got an invoice for a package I have coming from the US worth $300USD. Taxes are only $17.47, and the brokerage fees were $61.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
4269 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have to have a account registered with DHL or UPS to have them email the invoice before delivery? I have gotten numerous DHL parcels this year, and never knew the charges before hand. Is the Ottawa location in the air port or outside with free parking?
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27793 posts
818 upvotes
Dildo, NL
CarsonKT wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 8:24 am
actually they have this pdf version for 2017
http://international.dhl.ca/content/dam ... _ca_en.pdf

I just found it yesterday.

I once self cleared it with ups, and I don't think I will do it again
nice find!

Really nice professional informative & comprehensive pamphlet.

That must be where they spent the majority of their revenue from their 'brokerage' stream.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
PC Plus Tally: $2480 [Yota Mafia] Ebates 2017 Tally: $39.74, Late to da game
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Apr 13, 2010
342 posts
121 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
greg123 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 6:25 pm
Do you have to have a account registered with DHL or UPS to have them email the invoice before delivery? I have gotten numerous DHL parcels this year, and never knew the charges before hand.
It's in that PDF file quoted above. Page 13. You pay tax (GST or HST). Then DHL takes their processing fee ("10.5 CAD or 2.5% of the duties and taxes, if higher"), and a transaction fee ($4.25).

The $61 that fmanning quoted seems odd. But I wonder if one of the surcharges described on page 13 applied.
Sep 26, 2016
245 posts
282 upvotes
Ordered a used video game from the US, seller shipped by DHL Global mail packet plus.

It cost C $18.67, shipping included. Will there by any fees?
Nov 25, 2004
862 posts
256 upvotes
London
poroporo1 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 8:51 pm
Ordered a used video game from the US, seller shipped by DHL Global mail packet plus.

It cost C $18.67, shipping included. Will there by any fees?
its below $20 cad so there is no customs fees due on that. also dhl global mail transfers to canada post once it gets to canada so it goes though standard customs clearance so even if it were above $20 it would probly slide though.
Mar 14, 2011
156 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough
Does Anyone know the CBSA office that is in the GTA. This March I went 5425 Dixie Rd, Mississauga to self clear a package. I am looking at the building now and google maps is saying its a private property for another company. If any one knows the address to self clear/account for a Low Value shipment, that would be great. Thanks.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12536 posts
4055 upvotes
Oakville
stephan001 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 2:26 am
Does Anyone know the CBSA office that is in the GTA. This March I went 5425 Dixie Rd, Mississauga to self clear a package. I am looking at the building now and google maps is saying its a private property for another company. If any one knows the address to self clear/account for a Low Value shipment, that would be great. Thanks.
I believe this is the list of offices you're looking for? https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/servi ... v-eng.html
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1360 posts
82 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 10:21 am
I believe this is the list of offices you're looking for? https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/servi ... v-eng.html
Yes I believe that's 2720 Britannia Road East,.

Anyone know what happened to the location at the Oshawa airport? I know I was able to self clear a package there earlier this year (Feb 2017) but it looks like it's not longer listed. I tried calling but the agent didn't really seem to know.

Also, how much should I expect to pay if I self clear a DHL express package valued at $240 USD/$307 CDN. DHL wants $118 from me on top. Is it just 13% taxes and duty fees on the $307?
Apr 13, 2010
342 posts
121 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
kimbot wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 2:10 pm
Also, how much should I expect to pay if I self clear a DHL express package valued at $240 USD/$307 CDN. DHL wants $118 from me on top. Is it just 13% taxes and duty fees on the $307?
At least HST. Duty depends on what it is. The CBSA provides a calculator: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voya ... l-eng.html
Oct 17, 2017
80 posts
13 upvotes
realBIGmike1 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 1:53 pm
Pros:
-Save at least $14.95 on DHL fees

Cons:
-You have to take paperwork and ID to the customs office and wait in line. Nobody is ever in line at my local office when I go there, YMMV.
-DHL loses the money that they paid for the duty and taxes to clear your package, the customs office does not refund them. In my case, $4.
Actually, couriers make payments to CBSA at a later date than submitting pre-clearance papers through CBSA server while goods are on-route, so they don't loose those, and on top can always apply for a refund by showing a copy of the Customs receipt sent to them by the receiver upon self-clearance. Of course they loose brokerage and service fees, if you self-clear. But there is more to pros and cons than you listed:

- a receiver can come to a local CBSA office that has accounting services, ask to assess and pay duties and taxes under LWS Program, if parcel value is below CAD1600 based on the paperwork (Bill of Lading, Air Waybill, and Commercial Invoice) sent to him by the courier like DHL, UPS, FedEx etc, but not Canada Post. However, the payment will be accepted, if the parcel was already released by Customs to the courier, who remains responsible for it until delivered and duties paid for, and is stored at the courier's bonded warehouse. If the parcel was not yet released (cleared) by Customs due to suspected prohibited goods, too low declared value, or they want to do a random inspection, the receiver would not be able to pay taxes and duties to CBSA. In this case CBSA may send you a letter with details what to do. So check with the courier if the parcel is released by Customs, before going there.

- some shippers declare very low parcel value to help the receivers to cut on duties. When such parcel paperwork clears Customs in a stream of thousands delivered by the same courier each day, both parties have obligation to do it fast, otherwise a courier would have to routinely pay penalties to receivers for delayed Express delivery. But if you asked to stop delivery yourself, and go in person to pay whatever you think you will pay, the CBSA office staff may ask you to show actual receipts for each item in your shipment if they suspect declared parcel value is too low, and you may end up paying more duties and taxes than the courier fees you saved. In fact, you might not even have these originals receipts when shopping online, just a webpage printout, so CBSA may assess duties and taxes based on local prices for similar goods in Canada. I'm not saying they do it routinely, but it may happen, especially if they have long lines waiting to self-clear goods for personal use with very small amounts payable, and want to discourage you coming again and wasting their time, but rather use courier services. Because they delay clearing business reps also waiting in line and expected to pay a lot more. Winking Face Once they flag your parcel, you will need to present original receipts even if you later ask the courier to clear.

So weight all probabilities on the scale and prepare just in case all original receipts and may be ordered products pictures before going the self-clearance route. Call the CBSA office you plan to visit and ask if there's a long wait line, or just 1-2 guys. Also account for your time, fuel and parking fees - they may alone be higher than $15 you saved on courier fees. Smiling Face With Open Mouth For higher value shipments priced above CAD1600, you'd need to present more docs like Certificate of Origin, Contracts, Permits, etc. depending on cargo content.