Entrepreneurship & Small Business

How to save shipping from Canada to US customers?

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2018 1:42 pm
[OP]
Apr 24, 2018
2 posts

How to save shipping from Canada to US customers?

I sell light weight items like hand made jewelry to US customers and sometimes within Canada. Canada Post is so expensive. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?
5 replies
Aug 8, 2017
37 posts
9 upvotes
I live on the Niagara border. For some unknown reason, it costs fifty bucks for the smallest item to ship from my house to another that is only 5 minutes way. Just because you're driving over the rainbow bridge, you literally have to pay an arm and a leg.

For this reason, I NEVER deal with Canada Post. They don't deserve your business.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2730 posts
1428 upvotes
Canadia
davidsbulls77 wrote:
May 7th, 2018 1:23 am
I sell light weight items like hand made jewelry to US customers and sometimes within Canada. Canada Post is so expensive. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?
Where are you in Canada? There are small private courier companies in several larger cities that will transport packages across the border and deliver them to the US Postal Service for delivery. You're allowed to ship packages with a value of up to $800 US without incurring any duties or tax.

The USPS is extremely affordable; I can ship a 13 oz package to the USA for under $4 US and have it delivered (with tracking) in 2-3 days.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2018
2 posts
That sounds great! I live in Coquitlam in BC. Which courier company would you recommend?
Jan 22, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
Yes - Chit Chats is a great alternative to Canada Post. You can access low USPS postage rights directly with them and pay a small delivery fee for every package they take. They have 2 locations in BC but if you aren't able to access them you can either mail in directly by consolidating your packages as another option. They are great - saves a lot of money!