How to Score a dirt cheap flight to Beijing and use TWOV

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2018 12:24 am
[OP]
Jan 20, 2017
221 posts
35 upvotes

How to Score a dirt cheap flight to Beijing and use TWOV

Sometimes airlines like Hainan offer dirt cheap flights to China, with return tickets costing as low as $600. I would like to visit Beijing and possibly Shanghai this year but don't want to spend $$$ on Visa. Since we are eligible for a 72 hours TWOV stay in Beijing, I am wondering how do I buy a cheap ticket that takes me to Beijing from Toronto, offers 3 day transit and then takes me to Tokyo so as to be eligible for TWOV. While Returning I can fly to Hong Kong, via Shanghai with another 72 hour transit stay.
Has anyone got any suggestions on how to score dirt cheap flights to China while still being eligible for TWOV?
5 replies
Jan 17, 2018
196 posts
123 upvotes
I'm pretty sure the "extra" for your flights going from PEK to Japan then Japan to Shanghai or HK, plus accommodation in HK/Japan will be WAY more than a visa cost.

I suggest go for the visa, take Hainan - if you are a frequent flyer member (which you can be by signing up) they have a 25% off sale to celebrate their 25th anniversary. I'm pretty sure you can get some mega cheap flights. I flew Hainan back in Dec 2017 and they have a new dreamliner for the PEK-YYZ flight and their service was pretty impressive. Fare price was SO cheap.

Good luck.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4226 posts
1296 upvotes
Moncton
It doesn’t have to be on the same airline. Just be careful not to accidentally book an internal flight.

For example Air Asia will take you to Kuala Lumpur from Beijing for as low as $157.
https://www.google.ca/flights#flt=/m/01 ... 1;t:f;tt:o

In the past I have spent many hours trying to figure out a route and haven’t been to China yet, which gives you a hint to how successful I was.

The only way I found it works is if you want to visit a third country, say Australia for example, and pay accordingly. Then you can visit Beijing for “free” with an inconvenient flight via the Chinese city.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11319 posts
1571 upvotes
Mississauga
It's 144 hours now, not 72.
[OP]
Jan 20, 2017
221 posts
35 upvotes
I jst did it via Shanghai but for a smaller period.
I would have to agree that flight to Japan from China seems quite expensive. Also in my case i need open jaw tickets making it even more expensive. I an still reluctant to get Chinese visa for family as i doubt we will visiting China again. I have been to Hongkong and Shanghai already
The suggestion to use Airasia to KL is a real good one, might wnd us using something like it to fly to Thailand or Malasia.
However, if anyone has succeeded in scoring a cheap flight to china and japan, please do let me know.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11196 posts
4578 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If this year is like last year, the ticket prices will start drop from now to about mid-Summer. Last year, tickets to Beijing without any special promotions (ie. like that 25% off promo) went in the high $600s all-in on Air Canada direct.