Home & Garden

How to secure gazebo (10' x 10') to a deck?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2012 12:43 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3199 posts
109 upvotes
Georgetown

How to secure gazebo (10' x 10') to a deck?

I have a gazebo that appears to have been designed to sit on a lawn as it came with spikes that go through holes at the bottom of the 4 corner columns - and the holes themselves are fairly small in size.

I am going to be putting the gazebo on my deck - so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips/suggestions/thoughts on how best to secure the gazebo to the deck. I know wind can pick up and launch a gazebo airborn if it isn't secured properly (actually, the spikes to secure it to the ground are a joke if there were to be a windstorm).

I already am thinking I'll have to make the holes at the bottom of the columns larger to put a large size screw/bolt through it into the deck? Ideally, I don't want to put a bunch of large holes into the deck though... but I guess that is likely necessary.

Any thoughts are appreciated! I'm sure others have dealt with this issue before...
3 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
Here's a brief thread on a similar issue (patio instead of deck): http://forums.redflagdeals.com/gazebo-patio-593254/

(I've had an unsecured 10'x10' gazebo on my interlock patio for several years, and I've never had any issues with the wind picking it up and moving it. It's on the east side of the house, so the house basically blocks the prevailing westerly winds.)
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3199 posts
109 upvotes
Georgetown
You are a lucky guy Rehan! I had a neighbour disconnect his from his deck to do some deck work, and when we had a windstorm, it took flight over the side fence and wound up on my deck in my backyard! It may have only stopped there because some metal framing caught on the top of a fence post... My current neighbour secures his to the ground with tent pegs and rope and 2 years in a row now it has been destroyed by wind (a lighter structure - so it's pretty much like an umbrella in the wind).

Being able to position it right beside a house in a sheltered location definitely helps.
Oct 8, 2002
604 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
If you can, make some kind of holes in the gazebo legs, then use 1.5" galvanized lag bolts with washers. Try to hit the joist with at least one bolt per corner. Our gazebo came with round caps on the legs with four holes each. Never moved an inch, even when we had those crazy winds last summer.
× < >