• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2017 9:49 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5356 posts
577 upvotes

How to select picture/art hanging hardware

Took a trip to Home Depot to see what hardware options are available and they had many to choose from and I'm not sure what would be most appropriate. We want to hang a large item on drywall. Dimensions are 59" wide x 40" tall. The piece is canvas stretched over a wooden frame. It doesn't weigh much, maybe 25 lbs or less. The piece came with no hardware attached.

For this size and weight, would it be better to use D rings and wire? Or a couple of sawtooth pieces? Something else?If we go the D ring and wire route, would it sit properly on just one nail/screw in the wall?

Thanks.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4984 posts
1842 upvotes
I would use sawtooth and several screws with plastic drywall anchors.
If you use the D-rings, wire and one screw, the canvas could bow or creak with pressure, and there is only one screw keeping the thing up there.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5709 posts
1387 upvotes
Whitby
amz155 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 5:20 pm
For this size and weight, would it be better to use D rings and wire? Or a couple of sawtooth pieces? Something else?If we go the D ring and wire route, would it sit properly on just one nail/screw in the wall?
D rings/wire hanging on 2 screws sunk into studs....easier to get it straight with wire on 2 screws.
Mar 19, 2013
688 posts
205 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
At 59 inches wide, take the time to locate and anchor the hardware into the studs. Never will have problems.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5356 posts
577 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 6:45 pm
I would use sawtooth and several screws with plastic drywall anchors.
If you use the D-rings, wire and one screw, the canvas could bow or creak with pressure, and there is only one screw keeping the thing up there.
What if we use a D ring on each side of the frame and hang the D rings off of screws?
Zamboni wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 7:56 pm
D rings/wire hanging on 2 screws sunk into studs....easier to get it straight with wire on 2 screws.
That's what I was thinking. But for the studs part, how would it work If I put the D rings on each frame edge on the left and right side, but the studs don't line up with the D rings? Or would we attach the D rings to the top part of the wooden frame vs the sides?
Magoo61 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 7:38 am
At 59 inches wide, take the time to locate and anchor the hardware into the studs. Never will have problems.
Thanks. I'm trying to picture (lol) how it would be balanced if the studs don't line up with where the art needs to go on the wall.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5709 posts
1387 upvotes
Whitby
amz155 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 9:05 am
That's what I was thinking. But for the studs part, how would it work If I put the D rings on each frame edge on the left and right side, but the studs don't line up with the D rings? Or would we attach the D rings to the top part of the wooden frame vs the sides?
The d-rings mounted 16" apart on top of frame with screws in studs works well. If D rings are already mounted on frame sides I put wire on the D rings and hang that off screws in studs