Automotive

How to sell car for salvage/scrap in Ontario (Ottawa)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2016 10:56 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 23, 2006
21 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa

How to sell car for salvage/scrap in Ontario (Ottawa)

Has anyone done this?

1) Do I need to provide a Used Vehicle Information Package to the scrap dealer?

2) How do I go about getting the most $ for my car? A number of the guys on Kijiji have offered $200-250 for it, but I feel like they just turn around and sell it to someone else -- no?

3) Can anyone recommend a metal/car salvager in Ottawa? The car is still driveable so I can bring it myself without towing (and fetch a better price).

We're talking a 1997 Camry. Engine and components all work, body's pretty rusty.

Thanks!
14 replies
Aug 24, 2006
100 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
SuperStyles wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 12:14 am
Has anyone done this?

2) How do I go about getting the most $ for my car? A number of the guys on Kijiji have offered $200-250 for it, but I feel like they just turn around and sell it to someone else -- no?

3) Can anyone recommend a metal/car salvager in Ottawa? The car is still driveable so I can bring it myself without towing (and fetch a better price).

We're talking a 1997 Camry. Engine and components all work, body's pretty rusty.

Thanks!
I sold a car to a junk yard a year and a half ago.

It was at Standard Auto Wrekers in the GTA - probably the biggest and most legit one in the area. Didn't really need anything besides ownership papers and keys. I think sale for recycling is legally different than a regular sale. The main reason for a Used Vehicle Information Package is to make sure there's no liens (loans) on the car - on a car for scrapping, that's not a big risk. LOL.

The guy asked me how much I want for it; I told him how much I was thinking ($300). He said these things are just worth their weight in steel and "steel is pretty cheap nowadays". I'm sure that's not true since they either part the car or leave it in their self-serve yard, so they do end up making money off parts; I don't really care as they wouldn't be doing this if they didn't make some profit. He told me he could only give me $150, so I said sure (didn't really have time to bargain and I just wanted to get rid of it). He ended up writing me up a receipt for $175 and told me to get my money inside. I was a bit surprised he'd give me more... I assume he was happy I respected him and didn't bargain (so he could go home on time) and was probably prepared to give me that price, if not a bit more. Signed the papers and walked out with my cash.
From what I know, if you can drive the car there, it's cheaper than if you have it picked up - if they have to tow it, I think they usually will just tow it with no cash.

As for getting the most money out of your car, call around, ask and bargain. Imo, it's a waste of time since you'll probably at most get $50 more. As for what they do with it after, unless you're concerned about your car "getting a proper burial," what do you really care? If you're concerned about getting more cash, don't take it to a yard, but fix it up yourself (which is what they'd do if they'd resell it) or try selling it as a working "as is" car on Kijiji, etc. Like I said, at most it would just be a big headache and you'll end up dealing with shady individuals who may or may not come after you cause they'll think you ripped them off.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1462 posts
157 upvotes
A friend of mine just recently sold his 1995 Toyota Tercel for $500 (and it will NOT pass emissions) ... via Kijiji.ca ...

If you can still drive it ... sell it "AS IS".

Let the buyer deal with the issues.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Aug 24, 2006
100 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
AV-Fishing wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 9:18 am
A friend of mine just recently sold his 1995 Toyota Tercel for $500 (and it will NOT pass emissions) ... via Kijiji.ca ...

If you can still drive it ... sell it "AS IS".

Let the buyer deal with the issues.

+1

As long as you tell the buyer everything that you know is wrong with the car, there's absolutely nothing immoral/wrong with that, so it's a good idea.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1296 upvotes
Deep_Stich wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 5:43 pm
+1

As long as you tell the buyer everything that you know is wrong with the car, there's absolutely nothing immoral/wrong with that, so it's a good idea.
+1
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Jul 21, 2005
986 posts
84 upvotes
Deep_Stich wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 1:50 am
I sold a car to a junk yard a year and a half ago.

It was at Standard Auto Wrekers in the GTA - probably the biggest and most legit one in the area. Didn't really need anything besides ownership papers and keys. I think sale for recycling is legally different than a regular sale. The main reason for a Used Vehicle Information Package is to make sure there's no liens (loans) on the car - on a car for scrapping, that's not a big risk. LOL.

The guy asked me how much I want for it; I told him how much I was thinking ($300). He said these things are just worth their weight in steel and "steel is pretty cheap nowadays". I'm sure that's not true since they either part the car or leave it in their self-serve yard, so they do end up making money off parts; I don't really care as they wouldn't be doing this if they didn't make some profit. He told me he could only give me $150, so I said sure (didn't really have time to bargain and I just wanted to get rid of it). He ended up writing me up a receipt for $175 and told me to get my money inside. I was a bit surprised he'd give me more... I assume he was happy I respected him and didn't bargain (so he could go home on time) and was probably prepared to give me that price, if not a bit more. Signed the papers and walked out with my cash.
From what I know, if you can drive the car there, it's cheaper than if you have it picked up - if they have to tow it, I think they usually will just tow it with no cash.

As for getting the most money out of your car, call around, ask and bargain. Imo, it's a waste of time since you'll probably at most get $50 more. As for what they do with it after, unless you're concerned about your car "getting a proper burial," what do you really care? If you're concerned about getting more cash, don't take it to a yard, but fix it up yourself (which is what they'd do if they'd resell it) or try selling it as a working "as is" car on Kijiji, etc. Like I said, at most it would just be a big headache and you'll end up dealing with shady individuals who may or may not come after you cause they'll think you ripped them off.

I can tell you that around GTA there's also "Gerdau". It's main function is a steel mill, but they also function as metals recyclers. They have locations for scrap yards in Toronto, Mississauga and Oshawa.
It's a publicly traded company on the NYSE so I can assure you they are "legit".
Prices for scrap cars are dictated by market prices and are offered at a price per ton.
If you brought in a scrap car to Gerdau, they will not ask "how much do you want" like an old car sales man, but instead they weigh you in and will compensate you based on the market price per ton.

I wouldn't be surprised if Standard Auto Wreckers sold their scrap cars to Gerdau.

Disclosure: I am affiliated with Gerdau.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2006
21 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the suggestions! I also talked to a scrapper and he said he only needs the bill of sale (which he provides) and ownership.

As for what's going to happen to my old girl, I reckon I'll try to sell her as-is on Kijiji as a first option.

I wouldn't mind doing the charity thing, but as far as I can see the tax receipt is usually only for $50-60. I'd rather do my charitable donations the old-fashioned way and get receipted for the full value.
Mar 18, 2009
1 posts
Ontario
poedua wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 6:05 pm
+1
How much would an average car bring at the current market rate?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
1002 posts
255 upvotes
Markham
SuperStyles wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 12:14 am
Its entirely possible, but scrap dealers pay very low amounts for your car because usually if you're coming to them you're desperate. I'd personally only scrap it if its unsellable or its simply a car carcass(stripped of its most valuable parts). A Camry of that vintage is valuable to someone who's parting out the car. Selling to someone on kijiji, certainly someone might buy it off you to sell to someone else but the main thing is you get rid of the car and all its problems are now with whoever bought it. Who knows they might be silly and attempt to make a quick buck and fail. That's what happened to the guy who bought my Impreza, bought it off me and attempted to flip it, far higher than what I paid for the car 3 years ago...I'm not sure if he actually managed to sell it or if he gave up...I think its the latter.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2006
21 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
JeganV wrote:
Aug 15th, 2014 6:45 pm
A Camry of that vintage is valuable to someone who's parting out the car.
Your reply brought this old thread up again and since I have a few minutes on my hands thought I'd update what happened to the car. Keeping in mind I was leaving the country so I had a limit date to get rid of the thing, I first tried selling as-is on Kijiji, and I could not have imagined the interest in the car. Turns out late 1990s Camrys are very sought after in some parts of Africa (admittedly the thing was the most reliable car I've driven), so an entrepreneurial individual could buy the car and ship it overseas at a profit, without worrying about the subtleties of safety and emissions checks...

I practically had people fighting to get to the car first, and even became apparent that some of the guys calling were working for other people calling. For instance I'd call back "Marco", then 10 minutes later "Ahmed", who in the meantime had already spoken to Marco... at certain points I was actually pretty sketched out by the whole thing.

In the end I got a good price well above what I'd have gotten from a scrap dealer, but it was a whole bunch of effort, mostly due to the incredible vagaries of buying/selling on Kijiji... ended up closing the deal only a few days before I was scheduled to ship out.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.
May 27, 2015
1 posts
Ottawa
[quote="SuperStyles" post_id="14674876" time="1335932088" user_id="49781"]Has anyone done this?

The BEST place to scrap a car in Ottawa is Cash for Trash! They are super friendly and work 24/7 so they pick up your car whenever you want! The other great thing is they tell you the price over the phone unlike other companies who offer you a really high price over the phone and then when the driver gets to your house, he offers you less than half!! IF you try to say no, he tries to charge you $75 for going to your house!! Cash for Trash pays you cash on the spot, the staff is fully bilingual and the drivers are super quick and professional! www.cashfortrashcanada.com 613-831-2900
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
1559 posts
474 upvotes
GTA
Call some scrapers from Kijiji. Got $350 for my rusted, not running Venture last year. They picked it up next day, paid cash on the spot. Only signed ownership with word "scrap" written across the ownership. Not worth the hassle driving to the wrecker.
Jul 24, 2009
418 posts
177 upvotes
kitchener
SuperStyles wrote:
Aug 18th, 2014 6:16 am
Your reply brought this old thread up again and since I have a few minutes on my hands thought I'd update what happened to the car. Keeping in mind I was leaving the country so I had a limit date to get rid of the thing, I first tried selling as-is on Kijiji, and I could not have imagined the interest in the car. Turns out late 1990s Camrys are very sought after in some parts of Africa (admittedly the thing was the most reliable car I've driven), so an entrepreneurial individual could buy the car and ship it overseas at a profit, without worrying about the subtleties of safety and emissions checks...

I practically had people fighting to get to the car first, and even became apparent that some of the guys calling were working for other people calling. For instance I'd call back "Marco", then 10 minutes later "Ahmed", who in the meantime had already spoken to Marco... at certain points I was actually pretty sketched out by the whole thing.

In the end I got a good price well above what I'd have gotten from a scrap dealer, but it was a whole bunch of effort, mostly due to the incredible vagaries of buying/selling on Kijiji... ended up closing the deal only a few days before I was scheduled to ship out.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.
This is very true and I have experienced myself...there are organized groups of people who ship them to places like Africa and Afghanistan either as a whole, or for parts.
Because of the hostile environment and lack of resources, they need something reliable so most of the time they are after older Toyota's, such as Corolla, Tercel or Camry...I believe that the cut-off year is something like 98, since they started to be more loaded with electronics and less reliable after that.
I had bunch of guys virtually fighting over my 92 Corolla, which had in excess of 650 000 kilometers on it and was damaged by being rear ended on top of that.
Mar 11, 2016
1 posts
angry-trucker wrote:
May 29th, 2015 5:47 am
This is very true and I have experienced myself...there are organized groups of people who ship them to places like Africa and Afghanistan either as a whole, or for parts.
Because of the hostile environment and lack of resources, they need something reliable so most of the time they are after older Toyota's, such as Corolla, Tercel or Camry...I believe that the cut-off year is something like 98, since they started to be more loaded with electronics and less reliable after that.
I had bunch of guys virtually fighting over my 92 Corolla, which had in excess of 650 000 kilometers on it and was damaged by being rear ended on top of that.
Are there any agents or organizations who deals with such cars. I want to sell my 1997 Camry
× < >