Computers & Electronics

How to setup 56k modem through high speed Internet?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2010 2:33 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2372 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto

How to setup 56k modem through high speed Internet?

Rogers came to my office and changed the phone lines to cable for some transition program (mandatory).

But after that time, our 56k modem which we use for work reasons, stopped connecting even though it detects on the lower right Windows XP panel, and the power lights are on as usual.

Any way around this, like setting up a virtual 56k modem through the Internet?

thanks
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Assuming I'm reading this right, Rogers came in and installed VoIP that replaced a traditional landline.
If so, you're pretty much boned. VoIP isn't meant to handle data (with the exception of T.38 that's designed for faxing)

Talk to the IT guy at work and ask him to get with the times and use a VPN.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Assuming I'm reading this right, Rogers came in and installed VoIP that replaced a traditional landline.
If so, you're pretty much boned. VoIP isn't meant to handle data (with the exception of T.38 that's designed for faxing)

Talk to the IT guy at work and ask him to get with the times and use a VPN.

Not necessarily. My inlaws have Rogers Home Phone, and they're still on dialup. Works fine.

I'd guess OP's company is on some sort of business plan, which has the codec for dialup disabled. Probably could have it turned on for an extra charge.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
1333 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
JAC wrote: Not necessarily. My inlaws have Rogers Home Phone, and they're still on dialup. Works fine.
They're probably still using POTS.
My parents had Rogers home phone too over Bell POTS and then they came in and replaced it with VOIP over coax. I have a feeling death_hawk has it right. I'm guessing they're still using dial-up for a reason so VPN might not be an answer.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
Digital_Domain wrote: They're probably still using POTS.
My parents had Rogers home phone too over Bell POTS and then they came in and replaced it with VOIP over coax. I have a feeling death_hawk has it right. I'm guessing they're still using dial-up for a reason so VPN might not be an answer.

No, it's definitely Rogers VOIP.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15212 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
> But after that time, our 56k modem which we use for work reasons, stopped connecting

Is your computer modem connected to the VOIP box?

RE: whether or not you can do dial-up over VOIP, in theory, it should be possible. VOIP is basically taking the analogue sounds from regular telephone (in this case, it would be the raspy sounds a modem makes), digitizing it, then sending that info over the internet.