Cell Phones

How to share a cell phone data plan between *houses* (and what are the best plans?)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2013 10:15 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 20, 2007
730 posts
11 upvotes

How to share a cell phone data plan between *houses* (and what are the best plans?)

Hello fellow geeks,

Let me first start by saying that I dont have a cell phone, so I have a lot of learning regarding the different hardware, bands and data plans available

Here is the current situation: my dad lives in a house not connected to the phone/cable network (rural!) and has a second house he sometimes rents as a guest house 100m away, with clear line of sight between the two. He is a light internet user, but still requires a monthly plan in is house. He currently has some sort of USB modem with a SIM card he connects to his laptop. He is subscribed to Rogers, but I dont know the terms. It used to work fine, but now it always disconnects when it drops to 4 bars of signal or less. They sold him a new USB device, this one LTE, but it doesnt seem to find any signal. He lives on Ile d'Orléans, QC in postal code G0A 3Z0, if this helps with the coverage.

Here are the two wishes:
A) We'd like to use some form of router that would allow anyone coming into his house to use the internet over wifi.
B) We'd like to share that internet with the second house when it has visitors. Ideally, it would be possible to limit their bandwidth use to a fraction of his data plan.

Here is my current progress in elaborating a plan.
-------
A- Cellular internet to Wifi
-------
A1)Hardware
We'd rather not have to use a smartphone to tether 24/7. Is there any such thing as a cellular internet router? I've seen there are things called Mifi routers. Are they lWhat would you recommend? Is there any way to reuse those Rogers USB devices he already has? Maybe my tomato router could accept the stick?

A2) What data plans would you recommend? I've seen that Bell has 5 GB for 30$, that might do the trick.

------
B - Sharing with guest houses and limiting bandwidth
------
B1) My current idea is to get two of these 72$ Tp-Link TL-WA7510N 5Ghz 150Mbps Outdoor Wireless Access Point from Amazon to bridge the network between the two houses.

B2) Somewhere in the guest house, I would put an old router with Tomato as the guest access point. I think there is a way to limit their bandwidth with it, but I have to confirm.

That's where I'm at. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading.
9 replies
[OP]
Jan 20, 2007
730 posts
11 upvotes
Andrew765 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2013 8:47 pm
Use one of these for Part A

http://mobilicity.ca/phones/huawei-d105-wi-fi-dock/

Or he can setup his laptop as a WIFI hotspot that other devices can connect to.
thanks for this, will definitely consider if I cant use the devices I already have (rogers stick + tomato router). I'd rather not use his laptop as a wifi hotspot, because I'd rather have something on 24/7. I could always find an old server to do that job though.

Here is what my current "plan" would look like, but again I'm not sure that any single step is doable .it would just be cheaper, requiring only to get the two TP-Link outdoor access points.
[OP]
Jan 20, 2007
730 posts
11 upvotes
Lots of useful info there too, thanks. I think I should be able to go the wireless route, as I have 110 meters to go and a clear line of sight.

Part A would be better covered by the device you showed me if it has ethernet, but that's raised my hope, thanks!
S
[OP]
Jan 20, 2007
730 posts
11 upvotes
Update: I just figured out (from pictures, because I dont have the actual devices) that the working modem is a Sony Ericsson MD400g and the non connecting one is the LTE Rocket™ Stick - Sierra Wireless AirCard® 330U. Also had a look at their coverage map (www.rogers.com/coverage) and I'm not covered by LTE. Thanks for selling us that stick Rogers...
[OP]
Jan 20, 2007
730 posts
11 upvotes
Alright, I got the new stick working (the SIM card wasnt activated, duh.)

Anyway, here is my current plan. Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Aug 9, 2007
422 posts
140 upvotes
Why not just run a cable between the two houses?
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
2945 posts
2894 upvotes
Montreal
morglum82 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2013 8:37 pm
Here are the two wishes:
A) We'd like to use some form of router that would allow anyone coming into his house to use the internet over wifi.
B) We'd like to share that internet with the second house when it has visitors. Ideally, it would be possible to limit their bandwidth use to a fraction of his data plan.
It is very risky to share mobile internet data for anyone coming into the house because if you don't control properly you might end up paying huge bill for overage data charge...

To make it safer, you can consider prepaid tablet 30 pass $35/month 5GB data plan. This way you will totally having control and won't have to pay overage fee unless you finish 5GB before 30 days and you want to pay more to use the internet for the current month.

http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Cell_phone_ ... y_Pass.tab
× < >