Home & Garden

How should I clean the dirty wall tile grout in my shower room?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2017 12:56 pm
[OP]
Jan 4, 2013
578 posts
116 upvotes
TORONTO

How should I clean the dirty wall tile grout in my shower room?

The grout is dirty, what tools and materials should I use to clean them?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1894 posts
536 upvotes
Markham
You can get mold removal chemicals from big box stores. Let it soak then use a toothbrush.
Don't use bleach on grout.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2005
1267 posts
61 upvotes
get the $10 grout cleaner from lowes, spray on the grout lines , wait 3,4 hrs then wipe the tiles
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6739 posts
1716 upvotes
Maple
Mix of Javex with water in spray bottle. Spray, wait 15 minutes, use old tooth brush to brush slightly on the spots.
Banned
Aug 30, 2017
59 posts
10 upvotes
Bleach ...I use cotton balls or even toilet paper soaked in bleach and plaster it on the grout and wait a few hours to a day and that cleans it very well and no scrubbing
Banned
Aug 30, 2017
59 posts
10 upvotes
BDSL wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 9:24 am
You can get mold removal chemicals from big box stores. Let it soak then use a toothbrush.
Don't use bleach on grout.
Why not? Will it damage it? Aren't mold removal chemicals just bleach? That's what the ingredients are in stuff I've bought
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2373 posts
370 upvotes
GTA
I just became a first time home owner. What's the best practice on keeping the tiles clean?

Drying the walls after use with a towel?
FS: Old school Nintendo Consoles
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=675445
FS:Sharp GF-777Z Classic Boombox Retro Ghetto Blaster 80s - the Holy Grail!
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=631904
ACTION 52 Nintendo NES Multi Game (COLLECTORS ITEM)
action-52-nintendo-nes-multi-game-colle ... st13164059
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
198 posts
119 upvotes
aZian_ wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 2:00 pm
I just became a first time home owner. What's the best practice on keeping the tiles clean?

There's some tilex stuff you can get and it suggests spraying down the shower after every use.

I clean mine every two weeks with my power drill and it does a great job.

It even works on my rental properties in between tenants after my tenants NEVER clean the shower.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30467 posts
5022 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
aZian_ wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 2:00 pm

They sell squeegees for showers. The best thing you can do is squeegee dry the tiles and leave your fan running for 30 mins after a shower to remove any humidity.

Clean the bathroom every week thoroughly. Use a steamer. It'll kill any germs.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1183 posts
365 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I dry the tiles thoroughly after every shower and still get it. I can't get rid of it with bleach or anything else. We've re-grouted a couple of times. Nowadays I paint over it with using a small artist brush and Zinsser paint. Its a 70 year old bathroom that needs a sledgehammer, so I don't care anymore.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1150 posts
604 upvotes
Barrie ON
The white grout in my shower had turned the color of a smokers teeth. No cleaning product I tried had any effect at restoring the whiteness.

Eventually I came across this product at Home Depot. I really didn't think it would work at all, and if it did, it would probably need to be re-applied on a monthly basis. To my surprise it made the grout look like new, and now after 3 years it still looks pretty good.
Jun 9, 2009
319 posts
79 upvotes
Mississauga
Rick007 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 10:32 pm
The white grout in my shower had turned the color of a smokers teeth. No cleaning product I tried had any effect at restoring the whiteness.

Eventually I came across this product at Home Depot. I really didn't think it would work at all, and if it did, it would probably need to be re-applied on a monthly basis. To my surprise it made the grout look like new, and now after 3 years it still looks pretty good.
Which one did you use? Is it working?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1150 posts
604 upvotes
Barrie ON
tutulau wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 6:44 am
Which one did you use? Is it working?
I used the white liquid, because I had white grout (before it turned yellow). And as I said in my post, it is still looking good after 3 years.

The material is like a paint that you apply to the grout with a small brush. This YouTube Video shows the product being applied with a toothbrush. The video does not show the surface being rinsed with water after the product has dried. The water removes any product that was on the smooth tile, while everything on the grout remains. There are several YouTube videos you can watch.
Rick007 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 10:32 pm
The white grout in my shower had turned the color of a smokers teeth. .........To my surprise it made the grout look like new, and now after 3 years it still looks pretty good.