Off Topic Archive

Locked: How should I (intelligently) spend my RBC points?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2012 8:54 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Apr 10, 2012
19 posts
4 upvotes
VANCOUVER

How should I (intelligently) spend my RBC points?

I had 129k RBC rewards points and spent 24k on $200 worth of Esso gift cards which have helped me out a lot since I'm a student and gas is quite expensive these days.

Now I have 105k and am not sure how I should go about spending the points.

Should I save it for a flight...or spend it on Esso GC's? My goal is to go on a trip to east asia some time in the next 2 years.

Originally i was thinking of saving a minimum of 100k for a the trip something because that's how much it would cost for a flight to east asia with the infinite avion card. But my question is....is this even worth it? I hear the taxes and fees you have to pay per ticket is astronomically high, somewhere in the ball park of 500-700? If it's that high it seems to me I'm better off spending the 100k on $825 worth of ESSO cards right? The reason for this is because if I'm going to be going on a trip with my GF or even with friends, we would MOST LIKELY be finding deals through travel agencies (my parents are going to China and they got a good deal of $990/ticket through some travel agency) which would render my 100k RBC points worthless since I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the deal nor would I be able to sit with my friends on that same flight.

So....does this make sense? The other thing I'm aware of is the once/twice-a-year conversion to BA miles (at rate of 1 point = 1.5 BA points) but again, unless you're gonna be travelling alone it's not worth the hassle right since you're still paying fees and taxes and can't really plan group trips or even a trip with your GF unless you have enough points for 2 tickets.

So at 105k points....should I just spend it all on Esso GCs since I drive and that seems to be the best use of my points? Or should I spend a little and leave a certain amount of points in my account for a rainy day? If so, how much should I leave in my account? 60k? 50?

Any help would be appreciated

thanks!
Share:
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7926 posts
327 upvotes
if you have an Avion card, the points are best used for flights (well in terms of % earned).
Banned
Jan 7, 2011
3170 posts
255 upvotes
Here
I get esso cards to use for beer.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9782 posts
273 upvotes
Do what I did when I ditched RBC... book a hotel for 100k points and then call RBC to tell them you changed your mind and have them refund the points to your card as a dollar value.

(I can't remember if I had called RBC or the hotel to cancel- just that my points had been converted to a 500$ credit on my card)
I buy KitKat (the Chocolate) swag, contact me if you have anything to sell with your price!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
thrifthunter wrote:
Apr 11th, 2012 10:56 am
I get esso cards to use for beer.

this man is a genius.
need to move to qc.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
3891 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
Feneant wrote:
Apr 11th, 2012 11:27 am
Do what I did when I ditched RBC... book a hotel for 100k points and then call RBC to tell them you changed your mind and have them refund the points to your card as a dollar value.

(I can't remember if I had called RBC or the hotel to cancel- just that my points had been converted to a 500$ credit on my card)

What, you can do that?
Let's Get You Married™
Banned
Jan 7, 2011
3170 posts
255 upvotes
Here
Feneant wrote:
Apr 11th, 2012 11:27 am

:facepalm:

A $25 esso card is 3000 points.
For 100k points, you get $825 worth of esso cards with 1k points to spare. Considering he has a car, gas will always be a necessity so that is far move valuable to him than a $500 credit.
× < >