• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2018 10:10 am
9 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2753 posts
360 upvotes
Vaughan
This article is interesting. Never new that about sigma lenses. However, turning optical stabilization to off, should mean off. I totally agree with this guys opinion. I'd get pretty upset if my image moved around with me on a multiple exposure image.
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
banana-republic-mens-top-coat-1846703/#post24082895
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3893 posts
420 upvotes
why would the floating unit keep twitching? He's letting it fall asleep before each exposure?

as a seasoned pro he must have had his reasons to not bother with a backup rig

but i understand his frustrations when off doesn't really mean off
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

May 5, 2010
970 posts
278 upvotes
Since it's a long multiple exposure, he has probably set the focus already and locked it. I guess the lens shut itself asleep while the camera is still on after a moment and normally with a half press to focus, it'll wake the lens up, but without the need to do so, well it turns out the way it did in this article.
He probably has a backup rig, but he thought it was vibration from the floor at first. he didn't learn the reason until he reached Sigma for clarification.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1981 posts
530 upvotes
I'm not a professional, but the guy's conduct strikes me as a bit...well dickish. Check out his reply to people suggesting he maybe should've brought a medium format and a prime lens:

"So all of you have no experience in pro shoots, no ? Why should I lug a 50.000$ PhaseOne to a 800$ shoot and risk damage ? The client gets what he is paying for. Little money - little camera. Fullstop."

Wouldn't you want to produce work that reflects you well and demonstrates respect for your client, irrespective of the situation? When I was in consulting, we wouldn't say "eh, budget is low, let's half ass this one". You do your best because you are a professional and you never know who will end up where one day.
Aug 1, 2010
869 posts
446 upvotes
Montreal
unshavenyak wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 8:55 am
I'm not a professional, but the guy's conduct strikes me as a bit...well dickish. Check out his reply to people suggesting he maybe should've brought a medium format and a prime lens:

"So all of you have no experience in pro shoots, no ? Why should I lug a 50.000$ PhaseOne to a 800$ shoot and risk damage ? The client gets what he is paying for. Little money - little camera. Fullstop."

Wouldn't you want to produce work that reflects you well and demonstrates respect for your client, irrespective of the situation? When I was in consulting, we wouldn't say "eh, budget is low, let's half ass this one". You do your best because you are a professional and you never know who will end up where one day.
It's common practive in the industry today. Many price their contracts with equipment used. And he's technically right, fixing a modern medium format can cost $1000+, using one for an $800 contract is not smart.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1981 posts
530 upvotes
aerok wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 9:23 am
It's common practive in the industry today. Many price their contracts with equipment used. And he's technically right, fixing a modern medium format can cost $1000+, using one for an $800 contract is not smart.
Fair enough. That makes sense if there's different fixed costs involved.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3893 posts
420 upvotes
right, because your camera is likely going to get damaged during a studio shoot, as if he's filming The Deadliest Catch in the stormy sea
and as if insurance doesn't exist either
the client was BBC, not some local guy asking for help documenting his weekend car project
I 'm not implying D850 or Sigma Art is low end by any means but that's a poor attitude that would be frowned upon in other industries
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Aug 1, 2010
869 posts
446 upvotes
Montreal
twitchyzero wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 2:54 pm
I 'm not implying D850 or Sigma Art is low end by any means but that's a poor attitude that would be frowned upon in other industries
It is low end next to a Phase One or Hasselblad.

It is not poor attitude to leave behind $150,000 worth of equipment behind for an $800 contract, insured or not.

Here is another example, a sound guy that I know has over $20,000 in sound equipment. He rather rent out his equipment for around $400 a day then use them if the production does not cover that what he could've earned renting them out.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram