Computers & Electronics

How to sign up Yahoo Mail without giving out my mobile number?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2014 3:06 am
Feb 27, 2011
628 posts

How to sign up Yahoo Mail without giving out my mobile number?

As you may know, Yahoo is now letting new users sign up previously claimed usernames and email addresses that are now being recycled.

I am trying to sign up, only to find that the sign up page requires you to enter a mobile number (not just any telephone number; must be a mobile number) and does not offer you any other choices such as using an alternate email address.

This is just plain irritating. Does anyone know if there is a way to bypass this or to choose another authenticating method?
8 replies
Jan 13, 2013
243 posts
Did you try to sign up with a Fongo/textPlus etc. number?
Feb 27, 2011
628 posts
Tried it. Does not work. Still said it is an invalid number. Suspect that it needs a true mobile (and not redirected) number. Very annoying!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
5315 posts
I agree with OP - this is a PITA. I have a Yahoo email address I only ever use for activity (nothing illegal) that I would prefer to have minimal traceability. The address was set up so long ago that the original address linked with it was also long gone. Now I am being forced to update my profile with mobile number etc. So far the only way I can figure around it is to use a prepaid mobile number and it's not really worth that much trouble - so Yahoo looses a customer.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
Are they still asking for it? I saw the prompt to add a mobile number a couple of times on my existing Yahoo accounts, and just ignored it. I don't see the prompt any more. Google did that for a while too. It still pops up occasionally on Google as well.

Apparently now you can watch for particular Yahoo user names to become available: ... usernames/. Only $1.99 to put in your request!
Jan 1, 2014
4 posts
Gee wrote:
Aug 27th, 2013 2:34 am
Do you require a mobile number just to send you a text message?

smart smart-phone users neither use SLOW COSTLY OLD TIMEY sms texting nor tolerate ads in apps. SLOW COSTLY OLD TIMEY sms texting ENSLAVES you to ONE device. You cannot reject messages but merely hide/delete them: you pay for unwanted messages.

Why not use an app like Text+ to get a free SMS number?
because that is NOT-free; the COST is paid by whoring your privacy as with any other malware (all adware is malware).

Instead use either/both

XMPP Texting
SIP Texting
voip texting

All of which are

* Open Standards
* without-cost to setup, send/receive messages
* can be encrypted

Further XMPP Texting allows for fine grained security/privacy with XEP-0016: implement your ideology (no messages from unknown persons, only messages from Cindy, whatever).

ALL smart-phone have actually-free XMPP clients and SIP clients (the phrases to search market or non-draconian app repository)

"But I want to pay for SLOW COSTLY OLD TIMEY sms texting because my friends are cretinously lazy dullards"

Yes, you can do that with voip texting. Pick an ITSP (voip provider) that offers it like anveo or vitelity. You'll buy a phone number. Anveo can convey OLD TIMEY sms texting via

XMPP Texting
SIP Texting

So you retain the LIBERTY to use whatever appliance you like to pay to communicate with enslaved sheeple too stupid to be free.
× < >