Careers

How significant is gender bias when choosing a career?

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 6:47 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 29, 2012
928 posts
131 upvotes
Vancouver

How significant is gender bias when choosing a career?

If the title makes sense... I'm looking to study a career, I want to work in the medical field as an x-ray tech. A lot of people say it's mostly female dominated, and that is accurate to the statistics. Is this a roadblock for men who want to get into the career? Would my chance of getting hired be lower? Should I just look at pursuing something else?
8 replies
Aug 31, 2005
988 posts
602 upvotes
I was a PACs system administrator so I know a little about this. Overall I did not see any gender bias. The reason it is largely female dominate is because in the early day of medical imaging 10 - 15 years ago, large amount of people going for nurses role ended up moved into the technologist role.

If anything, being a male would be a benefit. Just about any chef or shift manager would want to keep someone who is strong enough to help move patient onto the x-ray machine. I would say there are no reason for you to feel a road block if you are interested in this field.

As always, your mileage may vary, as this field is highly dependent on your specific situation.
[OP]
Mar 29, 2012
928 posts
131 upvotes
Vancouver
ID01 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 1:08 pm
I was a PACs system administrator so I know a little about this. Overall I did not see any gender bias. The reason it is largely female dominate is because in the early day of medical imaging 10 - 15 years ago, large amount of people going for nurses role ended up moved into the technologist role.

If anything, being a male would be a benefit. Just about any chef or shift manager would want to keep someone who is strong enough to help move patient onto the x-ray machine. I would say there are no reason for you to feel a road block if you are interested in this field.

As always, your mileage may vary, as this field is highly dependent on your specific situation.
Thanks. I have only worked one job that was female dominated and it was at a toy store, and the overall experience was atrocious. However, I do not know how things are as a male minority in a more professional setting. I didn't think this career was female dominated but when I looked at the school program statistics, seems to be a 3 to 1 ratio, of females to males.
Aug 31, 2005
988 posts
602 upvotes
I would say it is very, very different. Not even comparable.

From my experience. Male nurses still has a bit of a stigma to it but it has gotten better in the recent years. Technologist isn't really viewed as a female job, plus, the physical requirement significantly benefit male. I know a lot of Male CT / MR tech in the field for 10+ years and they couldn't be happier. Again, it might depends on your specific clinic / hospital but overall I would say there are no problem being a male on this role.

There are a bit of a competition and over saturation issue on this role, though. Again. YMMY. But I feel like you should volunteer at hospital just to get a better feel of the scene before jumping right in. As I have a feeling you might not know much about how it is like working in a hospital at all.
Nov 13, 2013
599 posts
204 upvotes
SquirreI wrote:
May 18th, 2017 12:43 pm
If the title makes sense... I'm looking to study a career, I want to work in the medical field as an x-ray tech. A lot of people say it's mostly female dominated, and that is accurate to the statistics. Is this a roadblock for men who want to get into the career? Would my chance of getting hired be lower? Should I just look at pursuing something else?
At least for Physician specialties programs tend to actively recruit non-gender typical candidates. It is a slight advantage if you are a female wanting to be a urology or a male looking at Pediatrics residency for example.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3754 posts
724 upvotes
Sask.
Don't think there is gender bias in that field at all. My male cousin started as an x-ray tech and is now Medical Imaging Supervisor at our university hospital.
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2007
650 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
male nurses still has strong stigma in Ontario at least. I don't know about other regions. women still consider the guys in this job as not being masculine or macho. they are considered as too soft
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3754 posts
724 upvotes
Sask.
I have two sisters who are nurses, one in SK in ICU, one in AB.
I know from the one in SK that there's no stigma there - there are male nurses as part of their team, and there are times male paramedics become ER or ICU nurses.
Mar 28, 2017
4 posts
3 upvotes
Montreal
I am not a X-ray tech, but I'm a male technologist working in another field of medical imaging which I will not specified (such as MRI, Ultrasound, Nulcear Medicine, CT, PET, etc ), and here is my 2 cents.

The Male-to-Female ratio is about 2:8. Some heavy lifting is required, so is decent bed-side manner, so male or female isn't really favored generally speaking. Although the Chief or Assistant Chief of the department might have their own biases and prejudice, but that generally isn't gender based but more racially based...

Most imaging modalities of techs tends to wear white and long lab-coat, this is particularly so for those who deal with chemicals (MRI/CT contrasting agents), biological fluids (injecting said agents), or liquid based radiation (such as radiopharmaceuticals); hence, I actually do have to explain on average several times a week that I'm not in fact a doctor, because hey, man in white coat, guess what people are gonna assume.

From what I've seen, people often assume that of female techs as usual.

My pet theory is that, the white coat makes all the difference between evoking the "male nurse" stigma or not, but then again, I've never witness that male-nurse stigma myself in the urban hospitals where I've been, so I always assume it's a rural, conservative thing.